• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sub-$1000 Formal Wear, does it exist?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

Unfortunately, I wear both semi-formal and formal wear often; often enough to warrant having to have a nice tux and tailcoat. In fact, I probably wear my tails more than my tux. Yes, probably no one can tell the difference from the audience (I know I can barely tell the difference on other people when in the audience) but I can on myself. Also, a properly fitting/made tailcoat will be more comfortable to play in the one I have now, which is a very important factor.

Well in that case, why not wait till BB has their next MTM/MTO event and get two jackets (tux and tails) and one set of trousers made in the same material so you can ensure a proper fit and save on not having to buy two whole suits?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Well in that case, why not wait till BB has their next MTM/MTO event and get two jackets (tux and tails) and one set of trousers made in the same material so you can ensure a proper fit and save on not having to buy two whole suits?

Good idea, but you know that's going to be a lot more than $1000... probably upwards of $2000.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good idea, but you know that's going to be a lot more than $1000... probably upwards of $2000.

Oh, definitely, I thought $1k was the limit for the tails, independent of what you choose to do about a tuxedo. My guess is that doing that would run about $2,500, but if you consider a full tux is $1,600, that means you have MTM tails for $900 essentially.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heli0x
this might sound really dumb, but would chan be able to do one, if so, anyone know how much?

From what I hear on here, that would be too expensive.

If you're looking at comfort, have you considered getting the sleeve rotated? I've heard that a lot of classical musicians have tailors do that, so that the neutral sleeve position is in a playing position rather than with arms at your side. I've also heard thrifters finding otherwise perfect formalwear bemoaning it, but that's another matter.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
If you're looking at comfort, have you considered getting the sleeve rotated? I've heard that a lot of classical musicians have tailors do that, so that the neutral sleeve position is in a playing position rather than with arms at your side. I've also heard thrifters finding otherwise perfect formalwear bemoaning it, but that's another matter.

That's a great idea! I will definitely do this with my next tailcoat.

I posted a WTB in B&S. That, along with searching net, ebay, etc, seems to be the only option right now.

steviepowers

Reaction score
@lemmiwinks: Don't live in Asia, so cheap MTM is out of the question. I'm happy no one has recommended Indochino. Not a chance in hell I'll buy a suit from them.

Anyway, you're wearing semi-formal wear... not quite what I'm looking for.

@steviepowers:
facepalm.gif

Changed the title of this thread and bumping... Sub-$1000 formal wear... is it a possibility?

Bit confused here...
eh.gif
not a big fan of descretioncy so your saying hiring out formal wear over $1000 just doesn't exist to put straight and blunt?
smile.gif

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suitsupply (a Dutch menswear store) used to have them online, and I know for a fact that they still have them in stores. Perhaps it might be worth it contacting them?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steviepowers
Bit confused here...
eh.gif
not a big fan of descretioncy so your saying hiring out formal wear over $1000 just doesn't exist to put straight and blunt?
smile.gif

No, he is saying that a hire-out Armani or Boss suit isn't worth the price of the buttons. They are some of the worst quality out there and your suggestions are stupid. Read some threads before contributing.

OP Have you asked where the rest of your orchestra gets their tails? I would have thought that out of ~100 people there must be a guy who buys something nice.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've asked many colleagues, but you would be surprised. Haven't seen better than Lauren by RL. Most are uncomfortable talking about it too since they don't really care.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've asked many colleagues, but you would be surprised. Haven't seen better than Lauren by RL. Most are uncomfortable talking about it too since they don't really care.

Do you think enough of them care if given the opportunity to get a really nice set? I wonder what a place like BB would say if you asked them to send a tailor to rehearsal one day and offer a substantial discount to the whole orchestra on MTM/MTO tails. Perhaps if there was enough interest/good enough discount they could even get a little ad space in the programs for the season?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Do you think enough of them care if given the opportunity to get a really nice set? I wonder what a place like BB would say if you asked them to send a tailor to rehearsal one day and offer a substantial discount to the whole orchestra on MTM/MTO tails. Perhaps if there was enough interest/good enough discount they could even get a little ad space in the programs for the season?

Great idea... if only that could happen. It would be SF heaven!

steviepowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
No, he is saying that a hire-out Armani or Boss suit isn't worth the price of the buttons. They are some of the worst quality out there and your suggestions are stupid. Read some threads before contributing.

OP Have you asked where the rest of your orchestra gets their tails? I would have thought that out of ~100 people there must be a guy who buys something nice.

Hmmmm.... I don't see how there is a difference when you hire-out Armani or Boss compared to William fioravanti, anderson an sheppard or savile row I mean if you're hiring it out for like a day or two quality doesnt even matter your not gonna be using it for like 5 to 10 years what are you on about?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads