• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sorry you weren't impressed with G&TG, dhc. I think it's a lovely place. The food is good in my opinion, and I've had several of the dishes that you had tonight, so perhaps it was just an incredibly off night. There's no excuse for poor service, but that also strikes me as odd because every time I've been there, it was the kind of service that SField would hate. You know, where the server is actually nice and willing to talk to you. But yeah, I think it's important to think of it more along the lines of an upscale bistro, a la The Bristol, than it is to think of it as some gastronomic temple.
i thought it was a great restaurant. i wasnt mind blown by the food, but i really enjoyed my time there. i liked how they had three floyds alpha king and dreadnought on tap. service for me was attentive maybe a little too attentive (prolly cuz we went early and there wasnt a lot of people, but waitress came by like every 10 minutes and asked how we're doing) what kwilk said. upscale bistro. good comfort food. also wtf is a middling napkin? are you used to 180 thread count, sea island cotton napkins where you reguarly eat?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sea Island is overrated. But in all seriousness, there is McDonalds napkins (brown, course)< Costco food court Napkins (white, course)<"Middling Napkins" (white, less course, not soft)<Carmine's Napkins (White, billowy, soft)<Il Mulino/Nomi (cotton, soft as a baby's bottom).

I'm sure there's some blog or something that tests the correlation of nice restaurants and their napkins.

I was at Kuma's yesterday. Awesome. They have alpha king there as well. Burger Bar on Clybourn also has dreadnought, iirc. Best part was the Jack on tap. Can't beat a Jack on tap.

Originally Posted by indesertum
i thought it was a great restaurant. i wasnt mind blown by the food, but i really enjoyed my time there. i liked how they had three floyds alpha king and dreadnought on tap.

service for me was attentive maybe a little too attentive (prolly cuz we went early and there wasnt a lot of people, but waitress came by like every 10 minutes and asked how we're doing)

what kwilk said. upscale bistro. good comfort food.

also

wtf is a middling napkin? are you used to 180 thread count, sea island cotton napkins where you reguarly eat?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks delicious. I would suggest a pretzel bun, as that makes just about any burger taste incredible. I would also suggest a light spritzer of butter and a toast. So good.

Originally Posted by NorCal
DSC_0421.jpg

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
just threw some country style ribs in the crock pot with onion, garlic, jalepeno, honey, bbq sauce, cumin, chili powder. gonna serve it over rice with corn.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
I was at Kuma's yesterday. Awesome. They have alpha king there as well. Burger Bar on Clybourn also has dreadnought, iirc. Best part was the Jack on tap. Can't beat a Jack on tap.
What'd ya get? I got Kuma's to go last night and had a Black Oak Arkansas. Damned good burger.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha, you live around there? I waited for about 1.5 hours, between 6-7.30 before we got seated. My buddies both got the Soilent Green (which sounded awesome), and I got the Absu burger. We also got the lamb fries and Mac & Cheese with bacon and onions. So awesome. Did you go to the bathroom when you were there? Some dude had passed out in the mens room for most of the time we were there. Turns out he's a regular, so the staff just let him sit there.
What'd ya get? I got Kuma's to go last night and had a Black Oak Arkansas. Damned good burger.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
just threw some country style ribs in the crock pot with onion, garlic, jalepeno, honey, bbq sauce, cumin, chili powder. gonna serve it over rice with corn.

that sounds pretty ******* awesome, actually. Might be a bit sweet for my liking with the BBQ sauce but the idea of stewed spiced beef with jalapenos and corn over rice just got ********* hard.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While you were eating it, did you say... "mmmm ... this is a tasty burger"

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this burger talk is making me need to get a tasty burger for lunch.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
can barely stand up, but I think I need a burger too, or a really nice and spicy beef succotash on rice.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Time to **** up this thread with my terrible plating
IMG_1892.jpg
it is a cauliflower puree and a pan fried tilapia filet topped with a cold asparagus puree. Both purees were attempted thanks to the threads here. The cauliflower was not very good--it tasted like some health-food knockoff of mashed potatos (and I say this as a lover of the cauliflower). This is probably because I took some quantities and instructions from a page that boiled them in milk and used some of the liquid to thin it--it would have come out better if it was either much drier or made with heavy cream and more butter (and maybe more garlic/onions). I tried to put it through my food mill...which wasn't going well, so I tried some in the blender which didn't work well either....when I added the blender stuff back to the food mill, I was able to get it all through but the texture isn't great. The asparagus puree was pretty awesome. I blanched the stems and then blended them (no food processor for me) with parmesan, garlc, and olive oil and then added a pinch of lemon juice and some salt/pepper. I might cut down the garlic a bit next time but otherwise this worked really well. The tilapia was just salt+pepper+fry and worked well with the asparagus puree. Now I just have to figure out how to salvage the remaining cauliflower so that I can have it for lunch tomorrow with the remaining asparagus puree.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was having two purÃ
00a9.png
es on one plate not a bit tedious? The way SField explained the cauliflower "pommes purÃ
00a9.png
es" to me sounded pretty delicious, it's too bad you didn't enjoy yours. Definitely try adding more butter next time.
Originally Posted by SField
In any case, I'd blanch them in chicken stock with rosemary and thyme, then put them through a ricer. Put the riced cauliflower in a pot and stir around to dehydrate slightly, pull out, warm milk in same pot. Add cauliflower back into pot, then slowly add pieces of good unsalted butter. Pass through a tamis 2-3 times. Wonderful puree, great color, fantastic taste. Obviously season etc... I'd also recommend just a tiny bit of ground mace with cauliflower.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer for better color isn't less asparagus--- it's more asparagus, relative to the other ingredients. If you blanch the asparagus and get them in ice immediately, they should be beautifully bright green.

Thanks for the advice, kmilk. I'll probably give it another go next week.

As for tonight, turkey cutlets in a mustard-sage sauce with barley, apple and cranberry salad. Seasonally somewhat out of place, going into spring and all, but I enjoyed it, it's pretty easy and something I could see being a weekly staple.

20110413-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads