• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
watches are antiquated and give me MC vibes, just use your phone

I actually dont use phones
redface.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
the term "great" is wildly subjective. my omega SMP has a "great movement" (your words), and my anecdotal evidence supports that its been worry free since I bought it 8 years ago. I think the case, crystal, bracelet, lume...everything about it is great. I also think my $500 seiko sumo is great. One day when i own a Rolex daytona I'll think thats great as well. great!
Can you get a brand new SMP for $2k today? Yeah 8 years ago it may have been able to but they retail for over $4k now. If you read carefully, I said a used SMP would be great for $2k. Find me a $2k brand new SMP and I'll snatch it up with quickness. Good for you that it hasn't broken down, I personally do not think the hesalite crystal, it fogs up and aren't scratchproof so to me that isn't so great. Yeah you can come back with "that has never happened to mine so it is great" but I have seen it happen to a lot of other people and I am simply not a fan. These days the SMP comes with a sapphire crystal which is a good addition. Yeah it is subjective and it is my opinion so what is your point? You think a Seiko Sumo is great for $500, I think it's alright, the look doesn't appeal to me. I just do not like how bulky it is either. I agree, the Daytona is a great watch but you can't even easily get one unless you get very lucky. It is marked up all the time because there is always a list of people and that is an $11k watch so it doesn't really apply to this discussion.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Great for what exactly? I have a few swiss watches myself but, let's face it their functionality is inferior to those of electronic watches; they're an antiquated technology that is sold at overpriced levels to people looking for "baller" markers. It comes down to design which, yes, can be enhanced by good finition. Most swiss watches are gaudy as **** and the priciest ones even more so.because the awful designer who work for them try to cram as many things as possible on such a small space to make it uberballer. aside from being status symbol watches can be attractive due to the mythology surrounding them (you'll give them to your grandson, etc).
It's intricately made, just like getting some handmade shoes, it just has a lot work done to it. The complicated movements are something to behold. As for looks, again it is subjective. Some wants a nice and simple watch, there are plenty out there, but other see beauty in the complications in the watch and movements. Of course a goddamn watch that tells you when it'll be a full moon is completely useless but that is just something that adds to allure of the watch. Plus people who are spending $50k+ on watches aren't worried about it being just an expensive metal on their wrist. People always say it is just for baller status but it is more than that, you get a Vecheron Constantin and people will think the guy next to you with a Rolex or even Tag Heuer has more money that you. I am not saying that is the case with all but some just like watches. It is a luxury item, a lot of people still use it to tell time but it is an accessory. People just have price brackets of what they want or can spend and for a luxury item, does it really have to make sense to all? I'll admit, I am horrible with words and to be honest, I am not in that level of paying $50k for a watch, I really would rather have an simple IWC Portuguese Chrono than some $40k Perpetual calendar so this question is better asked on MC.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
im actually putting together an ETA movement
teacha.gif

its very difficult to not scratch the **** out of it ahah.

Really? **** is difficult as hell to do, a little lint or dust can really ******* up. Where do you find a place to be able to do that?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
once upon a time there was the curse of a dust under the glass

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watches are so plebe, I'll have one of my servants carry a Napoleon III era clock everywhere I go

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Real ballers use sun dials.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
haha that sucks...but t'was a SF reference far too old for most to get. the marocains and a dust, you see.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha that guy was awesome with his pet monkeying

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Was that the guy with the quote that went something like, "no racist, it is the true!"?

Also, just noticed that photobucket's dead. Sweet.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I requested measurements on a pair of shorts from Ideology. I usually specify the waist measurement as 'aligned and taut', for lack of standardized terminology (easier to explain than say BiG method and get
puzzled.gif
).

the reply:

the measurements are:

Small: 16.5 Inch across taut front and 17" back, inside leg 11" and opening is 9.5"

Medium : 17" , 17.5", 12" and 9.8"

A Small will fit 30" waist and a Medium a 32".
I can imagine getting a larger measurement for the front band if it's not aligned and you're using a curved tape, but what the hell? Also love how the rep translates 33"-34" into fitting a 30" waist... smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads