• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
About the whole thing, or in reference to the direction bit? The direction bit was not related to anyone here. Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing.
wb73lx.jpg

Not sure about the proportions, because of camera angle, but it seems to be a vast improvement over your earlier fits. I especially like that checked fabric.

ndw

Reaction score
Today. Button point about 1.5" lower and trousers about as slim as I get.

3tHJT.jpg
PEGE2.jpg

0CEnH.jpg

austerlitz

Reaction score
i like those shoes.... who makes those?

Originally Posted by ndw

3tHJT.jpg
PEGE2.jpg

0CEnH.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You had said that before. Whoever bullied you into it was misguided, I am afraid...as most of your suits have a fairly wide lapel and your face can carry a bigger knot. Maybe you can try Windsor Wednesdays for a while?
biggrin.gif

I will see if I can work one in for you tomorrow.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ndw
^Really nice combo, Mike. That tie is great.

Thanks, Nick.

About the whole thing, or in reference to the direction bit? The direction bit was not related to anyone here.

Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing.

wb73lx.jpg

2rr6gw6.jpg

Aside from the totally closed quarters, which I am not a fan of, this is by far your best effort.

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
3tHJT.jpg

Much improved.
fing02[1].gif
You look like you lost weight between one day and the next.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
It's from the American Living line at JC Penney, and IIRC, it actually cost me about double that.
satisfied.gif

What! People liking a JC Penny tie, blaspheme! I have found a couple of Nautica that I like a lot. In fact I got a TJ Max tie that I like better than an very similar Italian one I saw severely discounted at Filene's Basement. Typically I notice the quality up close but occasionally, cheap or not, I just like what I like.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I will see if I can work one in for you tomorrow.
smile.gif

No...no...do it for YOU!

(And please match it with one of your wide lapel power suits so I don't look like a stupid asshole...thanks!)

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
A little on the casual side today...

dvVrA.jpg
XmhNN.jpg

And I can finally do this shot without being embarassed!

hmHjX.jpg
85cZ9.jpg

End of day. Forgive the wrinkles.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
That's what I felt too. A hair too high.
Originally Posted by ndw
Today. Button point about 1.5" lower
Somewhere between these two positions, closer to the higher one, and it would be spot-on for my tastes.
Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing.
Not to take credit for it, but today's look is much more coherent than some of the earlier ones. Regarding the lower-fronts/quarters/whatever we've agreed to call them these days, I don't mind them being quite closed in principle (and more than a few of my own jackets are pretty closed), but the issue here is that they're actually overlapping more than than they were designed to. Could be a function of build/posture or balance, difficult to be sure. But that's a relatively minor quibble besides the noted improvement in overall visual effect compared to some other looks you've posted. Purely out of curiosity, what concept did you construct the look around anyway?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
^SB, I think it works for you. If you do decide to order more and request a taller collar my word of advice would be to make sure you tweak all of the proportions (point length etc. accordingly) and specify that you want the collar taller in the front (if that's what you want is more "tie space"). I have not used Modern Tailor myself, but I have experimented with local MTM shirts and tweaked my second order just like you, by requesting a taller collar, but without extending the point length slightly and without specifying I wanted the collar higher in teh front as well. The result was a little strange because the collar was taller but the point length was not extended so it looked funny (just my .02 if that explanation makes any sense).

Originally Posted by ndw
PEGE2.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Your collar today is what I have in mind...

ivyleaguer

Reaction score
I think the suit could be tailored a bit more. it seems to flare out at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads