• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
dm10w.jpg

Good idea for a thread. I'll second the notion that a good tailor will be able to tidy this up for you, also that you would benefit from a lower button position (will make you appear taller, which will de-emphasize the width). I'll add only that I think a single vent might look nice on you as well. I know the trend, in general (and, specifically on SF), is toward double vents, but I think it would also have a slimming effect for you.
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
bgb40j.jpg

MK, it's probably the camera angle, but this jacket appears too long for you. It also appears as though you could stand to add a little waist suppression too, should you decide to live with the first point. Without it, the closed quarters makes the jacket feel really boxy, and a bit too structured. Finally, I would add a pocket square for a little splash of color. The rest of the fit suggests a cerulean blue or something.

Coburn

Reaction score

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Good idea for a thread. I'll second the notion that a good tailor will be able to tidy this up for you, also that you would benefit from a lower button position (will make you appear taller, which will de-emphasize the width). I'll add only that I think a single vent might look nice on you as well. I know the trend, in general (and, specifically on SF), is toward double vents, but I think it would also have a slimming effect for you.

You know, now that you mention it I think this would look quite good in a single vent. The flaps of a double seem to emphasize the "largesse" of my "assular" region. I'll keep my eye out on the next suit.

I'm still hoping simply re-doing the lapel so it rolls closer to the button will make the button point work a bit better for me. We shall see...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, been there done that - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ue#post3271089
Other than that, any recommendations? Scathing comments? Instructions for my tailor? Have at it, and please feel free to post your own suits for critique.
Originally Posted by alexanduh
edgar that suit makes you look fat.
I think yours is a case where a combo of SF conventions and fashion trends aren't doing your body type favors. You could probably benefit from heavier shoulder and chest structure to square off your curves, this makes you look a little dumpy. Also the lapels are too narrow for your frame, I say go wider. even peaks will add another horizontal line to reinforce the shoulders. your suit is an "8", what you need is a "V"

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think yours is a case where a combo of SF conventions and fashion trends aren't doing your body type favors. You could probably benefit from heavier shoulder and chest structure to square off your curves, this makes you look a little dumpy. Also the lapels are too narrow for your frame, I say go wider. even peaks will add another horizontal line to reinforce the shoulders. your suit is an "8", what you need is a "V"

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I was actually looking out for that.

Same suit in a 38: http://malfordoflondon.com/suits/110...t-650-gbp.html

To me, the lapels looked reasonable. They weren't the widest, but they didn't look "skinny" either. I'm a bit disappointed in that regard, to be honest. It looked like a relatively "traditional" suit.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for these details on my next purchase, but I'm still cautiously optimistic that this suit can work. If not, I'll tuck it away for a skinnier day.
lol8[1].gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Uhh, hello?

My idea for this thread was simply to replace the litany of threads where people post new threads for suits they've recently purchased, or are thinking of purchasing, and ask for opinions on fit and styling.

Originally Posted by Coburn
Agree. The foofed thread is that place for new suit fits.
We can rebuild him!
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115692

My thought was that this thread could also serve to stem the tide of bile seething from WAYWRN. There are seemingly contrary ideas that said thread is for both showing off AND learning. After this weekend, it has been made quite clear from those who consider themselves learned, WAYWRN is not for learning in anyway shape or form, and yet the confusion obviously persists. So, I see this thread as being a way to answer that and hopefully allow the forum to move on from that constant bickering.

MK, it's probably the camera angle, but this jacket appears too long for you. It also appears as though you could stand to add a little waist suppression too, should you decide to live with the first point. Without it, the closed quarters makes the jacket feel really boxy, and a bit too structured. Finally, I would add a pocket square for a little splash of color. The rest of the fit suggests a cerulean blue or something.

That's mostly my thought. I keep struggling with finding something too long versus too short. I've tried on shorts and have not liked the look. At the same time, this is the continued response. I definitely agree about the waist suppression, which I think would open the skirt more. I've played around with it having my wife hold things and I think it ends up looking much better and potentially (inadvertently) solves the length problem.

Given what I've said above, here's The take on it today, which may be more or less telling:

wb73lx.jpg

And more close up:
2rr6gw6.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Get it cinched up around the waist a bit and report back. It's a nice jacket. Also, I would pair that jacket with either charcoal wool trousers, or something in the blue family. For the latter, a nice pair of sky blue linen trousers might look smashing with the jacket.

Finally, your thoughts on the goal of the thread are good to me. Though, I'd argue that you can learn a lot in WAYWRN, the current accepted method is to learn far more by lurking than posting.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, your thoughts on the goal of the thread are good to me. Though, I'd argue that you can learn a lot in WAYWRN, the current accepted method is to learn far more by lurking than posting.

Which is something I must disagree with. It enivitably comes back to learning paradigms, and for things with a small amount of labeled (Good/bad) data but the potential to produce large amounts of unlabeled data, I personally feel that an active learning approach (in the machine learning sense) will be most productive and produce the best results. Then again, I spent two years doing almost nothing but thinking and learning about how systems learn, so I probably think too much on the subject.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No I'm pretty sure it's me making the suit look fat.

This suit's cut is not flattering on you. Lapel are too slim, buttoning stance too high, jacket looks strange in shoulders, pants appear too tight around your rump.

The color appears to be a poor color for your complexion as well. You'd benefit from a greater contrast.

... this jacket appears too long for you.

Seconded. And as acrid noted, the closed quarters make you look boxy.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Which is something I must disagree with. It enivitably comes back to learning paradigms, and for things with a small amount of labeled (Good/bad) data but the potential to produce large amounts of unlabeled data, I personally feel that an active learning approach (in the machine learning sense) will be most productive and produce the best results. Then again, I spent two years doing almost nothing but thinking and learning about how systems learn, so I probably think too much on the subject.

I'm not sure a single thread is the best idea. Say, once this thread is up and running, there could easily be two or three (or more) critiques going in one thread. I can see it getting a bit confusing which comment applies to which critique request.

I agee with those who say the "I'm new at this" critique requests don't belong in the WAYWRN thread because the intent is for people to look at outfits of those who have pretty much sorted out the basics of fit and combining of outfit components. Nitpicking collar shape and drape is much more informative for those of us past the "I'm new at this style thing" point. I, for one don't want the well-put-together outfits interspersed with "How does this black suit from Mens Wearhouse look" atrocities. That said, there is certainly a place for the "new at this style thing" guy and I think a separate thread for each single critique makes more sense. The critique request is made; all comments on the outfit are made, and the thread ends naturally. In the single thread scenario, it will be difficult to determine when one critique ends and another begins as there will be several going at once.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

this. it makes ya look portly.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
I'm not sure a single thread is the best idea. Say, once this thread is up and running, there could easily be two or three (or more) critiques going in one thread. I can see it getting a bit confusing which comment applies to which critique request.

I agee with those who say the "I'm new at this" critique requests don't belong in the WAYWRN thread because the intent is for people to look at outfits of those who have pretty much sorted out the basics of fit and combining of outfit components. Nitpicking collar shape and drape is much more informative for those of us past the "I'm new at this style thing" point. I, for one don't want the well-put-together outfits interspersed with "How does this black suit from Mens Wearhouse look" atrocities. That said, there is certainly a place for the "new at this style thing" guy and I think a separate thread for each single critique makes more sense. The critique request is made; all comments on the outfit are made, and the thread ends naturally. In the single thread scenario, it will be difficult to determine when one critique ends and another begins as there will be several going at once.

Doesn't seem like it should be any more difficult than how critiquing works with WAYWRN. Moreover, having a single thread cuts down on the number of threads, which potentially makes things easier on the servers, and also has the psychological effect of reducing the annoyance of critique threads seen by those who belly ache about the critique threads. Moreover, having a thread like this dedicated creates the opportunity, like in WAYWRN to continue to show improvement. Critique threads are more about a single outfit, and this allows things to become more of a narrative. It also allows for a single place to see how other people are improving. Being able to compare one's progress and mistakes to others is often quite helpful. The midground to me would be critique threads for each individual, which I think is unwieldy in that it clutters the board and does not allow for the cross-pollenation effect. While there's never a perfect solution, I think something like this is the best idea.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mktitsworth's jacket doesn't need cinching. It's front balance is short. 100 foopoints to the first person who's already posted in this thread who can explain what that means.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Mktitsworth's jacket doesn't need cinching. It's front balance is short. 100 foopoints to the first person who's already posted in this thread who can explain what that means.

Standing with too erect posture?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads