• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does a dress shirt last?

Doc4

Reaction score
Wear it, wash it, iron it, repeat ... how many times can I repeat that?

I know, I know ... "it depends". Ah, the easy answer that doesn't actually say anything.
teacha.gif

Different manufacturers, different fabrics, different results. But in general ... how many wearings and washings should one expect a dress shirt to survive in presentable form? If I have five dress shirts and wear them to work Monday-Friday and wash them Saturday, will they last me a year or a decade?

If, as is closer to the truth, I have 50 dress shirts and wear them Monday through Friday ... can I safely delete the shirtmaking websites from my browser favourites, and wait to see if my shirt collection outlives me?

I'm curious to know what your experiences are in this regard.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider:

Brand
Cloth
Construction methods
Washing temperature
Washing power
Quality of iron
Amount you sweat
Amount of friction from your skin
Amount of hair on your body
Average temperature of your office

Those are just the obvious ones, you'll then need to look at the linings of your suits for friction, whether your car seats are cloth or leather, whether you are likely to brush past any woodwork or sharp edges.

So I guess it .. depends?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to know? Are you putting away the money now to replace one of the five shirts? How about you buy a 6th shirt and when one goes, you're covered.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
In my experience the single most important factor in determining the life of a shirt is the cleaners you decide to send them to.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a shirt that I bought about 11 years ago that I still wear.

I also have a shirt I bought last year that already is too worn to wear.

so....this is your answer. between 1 and 10 years.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends.JPG

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have several Pierre Cardin poly cotton (I know I know) white dress shirts I got from Marshalls around 2000 for about $15 each. Rarely send them out, usually wash myself, scrub collars with bleach and a toothbrush pre wash, they still look as good as new after 11+ years of semi regular wear.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As others have said, it depends. The only real rule is that white shirts usually won't stay white long enough to wear out.

changy

Reaction score
I have had shirts from the same tailor wear out in a year and others in 5. It depends

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every single one of my shirts last 112 wears (and washes). On the 113th wear the arms fall off and the back rips in half a la Lou Ferrigno

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Those are just the obvious ones, you'll then need to look at the linings of your suits for friction, whether your car seats are cloth or leather, whether you are likely to brush past any woodwork or sharp edges.

Walking through a hail of bullets and a shower of razor blades every morning tends to reduce the lifespan of the average shirt, too.
laugh.gif

In all seriousness, there are too many variables. That being said, I read somewhere that shirts are *supposed* to last 50 washes or so, but then that doesn't factor fabric, frequency of wearing, storage, etc.

Personally, I think if you can get more than 5 years out of a shirt, you're doing well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8 years

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
That being said, I read somewhere that shirts are *supposed* to last 50 washes or so, but then that doesn't factor fabric, frequency of wearing, storage, etc.
Hmm. That doesn't seem like very many to me. In a 10 shirt rotation, that's only 2 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads