• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Video Game Sequels

aphextwin07

Reaction score
off the top of my head... maybe Chrono Cross. can't think that far back but i'm sure there are a lot worse.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Modern Warfare II.

funny you'd say that as the first one is rather terrible and the sequel is considered by many to be the greatest console multiplayer FPS of all time.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bakes
the leveling system killed oblivion for me

+1 having to grind skill points so as not to grow under powered relative to level was
ffffuuuu.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
funny you'd say that as the first one is rather terrible and the sequel is considered by many to be the greatest console multiplayer FPS of all time.

Yeah. Play MW1 then play Call of Duty 5 and its like night and day.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Modern Warfare II.

+1

I played Cod 4 like a maniac, and became world ranked for awhile.

I bought MW2 on release (after having quit COD4 for a year-ish), and played for a month or so. Great disappointment. It went from having skill and map awareness, to the point where a few bad teamates would cause your team to be rendered to nothing but target practice.

They removed the 3 grenade spam, and replaced it with "OMG WTF DEATH FROM ABOVE" spam.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
-Devil May Cry 2

This.

I wasn't a huge game player, but DMC was one of the first PS2 games I got. I loved it, and If I still had a console I would still play it. Then DMC2 came out, and I almost cried. So ******* horrible, the developers should have been beat.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
For the purpose of simplicity, feel free to conflate "worst" and "most disappointing," since we usually have a hard time keeping any distinction between the two in threaks like these. I'll start off with two sequels I've recently gotten around to playing (and loathing): - Civ 5: a pale immitation of Civs 3 and 4, dumbed down considerably. - Dragon Age 2: total omfg horseshit. Also dumbed down. Horrendous letdown after the original, which was excellent if not necessarily groundbreaking. I couldn't force myself to invest more than a few hours in this game before throwing in the towel. I can't even bring myself to finish it out of obligation, which is what I usually do with bad RPG sequels in franchises I otherwise enjoy.
Civ 5 really pissed me off. That was the only bad Sid Meier game I've ever played.

matik23

Reaction score
CoD4 is a classic. Simple 3,5,7 setup. Killstreak presence is there but not to the point where gun is obsolete like in MW2. I'd say anything after WaW is a failure, plus mw2 and blops created the circle jerking that is the CoD5 thread.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
- Civ 5: a pale immitation of Civs 3 and 4, dumbed down considerably.

Originally Posted by Bhowie
Civ 5 really pissed me off. That was the only bad Sid Meier game I've ever played.

A HUGE +1

I'm a giant Civ geek. The Civ series was incredible. I played them all, but Civ IV had me addicted - sneaking in games on my lunch break, ditching GFs to play, etc.

Civ V is a giant *************. Seriously. I've tried to pick it up three times now and have quit. It's just so damn boring it pisses me off. The fact that all the magazines gave it ratings in the high nineties shows how unobjective those reviews are.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Halo 2. At least Halo 3 and Reach were decent, but H1 to H2... pure garbage
confused.gif

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H1 is garbage? How old are you?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halo: Combat Evolved was the most amazing game ever. Everything was so awesome.....

Halo 2 wasn't as good, but at least the multiplayer was great. My friends and I used to have 8v8, no shields, extra damage, shotguns and pistols only. The best multiplayer experience I've ever had, even to this day.

Halo 3 was fun, but just not as good... I couldn't get back into it after playing COD4.

Halo: ODST was actually very, very solid. Great campaign. Even though it was short, it was the best Halo game since Halo 1.

JustChris

Reaction score
Halo was (agreed) the most amazing game ever, and it would have been hard for anything to have lived up to that, so I didn't mind that Halo 2 wasn't as good. It was still good, and that was enough for me. Halo 3, on the other hand, was ******* terrible. I hated playing it and finished it only out of a sense of obligation. It makes me angry just thinking about it. ODST was a pleasant surprise; thoroughly enjoyable, though too short.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super Mario Bros. 2. For those of you unfamiliar with the history of the game, you might have wondered why that game seemed completely different from the first Mario game. Well the reason for that was the real sequel was considered to be too similar to the first one, and too difficult so it was never released outside Japan. Still, Nintendo were stuck for a Mario sequel, so what they did was they took an existing game, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, and simply substituted those characters for Mario characters.

pow.jpg

dokidoki00.jpg

Now the game itself isn't necessarily bad, but it shouldn't be considered a true Super Mario game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads