• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Thank you
smile.gif

I'll consider starting that new thread. Not sure what the angle would be just yet.

I'm casting my vote with option #2. Parts of the interior do seem replaceable (I'm not sold on the cabinetry or most of the furnishings), but to an architectural innocent like myself it looks pretty nice. The landscaping costs must be a *****, though.

None of these houses are really McMansiony, although they're eclectic and a little pandering to modern tastes. The third place's columns don't really bother me - they seem sort of faux-Hudson Valley, which is in line with the rest of the architecture.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Gravel driveways are a plus for me.

Going to see the first house in a couple of hours

Must not be a car guy then.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently out taking a walk through the neighborhood and snapped a photo of this place. Can this house technically be considered a McMansion? It's in a cul de sac with other houses that certainly look more in line with your typical McMansion, but this one doesn't seem as common.
2512E.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ It's better than most ... but it has issues.
The scale of the front door isn't sufficient.
The window over the entry door is a very wrong.
The dormers are too large.
etc., etc., etc.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a question about that last one, is that build with proper brick? And with that I mean the brick/insulator/brick version. The pic with faux brick a few pages back amazed me.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
just a question about that last one, is that build with proper brick? And with that I mean the brick/insulator/brick version. The pic with faux brick a few pages back amazed me.

i assumed the faux-brick was used inside...

ctp120

Reaction score
This might be my favorite thread on SF. The obvious sincerity in StephenHero's architectural snobbery (in this thread and others) is completely unrivaled as far as snobbery goes, but I can't fault him for it in the least.
fistbump.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Mother always suggested toning it down. She claimed it was possible to make the same point without being obvious about it.

As an architect, when I'm asked to comment on a building (or home) which I can't respect, I respond, "Oh, I can see you tried to do something here."

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I missed it but did we discuss what a proper mansion should be?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Expensive
The least expensive townhouse in my row is close to $10MM (maybe a little overpriced) but I wouldn't call it a mansion for that reason alone. Should it be a certain size with a certain amount of land before it qualifies? Most of the "mansions" I've been to/in/around have been rather ugly things on semi-large plots.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been considering buying a place in my hometown for the last 6 months or so. It would mainly serve to give me more incentive to visit my family...so a "vacation" home of sorts...

These homes would both need a skillful architect and builder to accomplish what I want. Are they McMansions?

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...rhope-AL-36532
http://www.pointclearlakefront.com/

Leaning towards the 2nd bc I can do a lot with the acreage and really want to put in a clay tennis court and guest cottage if I have room.

The second one has nice land, and does at least look like a real house. Replace the kitchen, though.

The first one can't decide if it's a beachfront condo, a ranch house, or Tara. Perhaps that's just a simple decor issue, and can be solved by scraping the walls and doorways clear.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The least expensive townhouse in my row is close to $10MM (maybe a little overpriced) but I wouldn't call it a mansion for that reason alone.

Should it be a certain size with a certain amount of land before it qualifies?

Most of the "mansions" I've been to/in/around have been rather ugly things on semi-large plots.

I always figured to be a "mansion" as opposed to just a "big house" or even a "big house on a lot of land" it has to have some level of imposing grandeur or fanciness to it, especially on the approach or from the road (if you can see it from the road). You shouldn't be able to mistake it for a large farmhouse, for eg.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose the definition of what constitutes a "mansion" has changed over the years and from country to country, but I think that the following characteristics still hold true, in general:

* Over 5,000-7,500 sf.
* Special rooms designed expressly for entertaining and/or to accommodate various activities, such as large formal dining; conservatories/greenhouses/indoor pools; library/gallery/offices; luxe home theatres; etc.
* More bedrooms than required by occupants (i.e. several guest rooms with ancillary baths).
* Private domestics' quarters.
* Extensive, designed grounds if in the country.
* Various out-buildings (i.e. guest house/s; luxe garage/s; maintenance buildings; possibly domestics' quarters) if in the country.
* These days, probably very high-tech security; a-v systems; and domotics.

I have no idea if a strict definition exists.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Growing up I was told never to use the word mansion ... but rather house. I'm told the term great house is acceptable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads