• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in Portland

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just offered a job in Portland but have zero idea what it would be like living there, it's been like a decade since I last visited. What does Portland have to offer a single now-legal young adult who's entire life has been spent surrounded by Asians in Vancouver (including my family)?

karmaguy

Reaction score
A shitton of good restaurants, some good stores and lots of rain. I just moved up here from southern Arizona for school last fall and am lovin' the city so far.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great market-driven food, friendly people and street kids, good public transit/bike friendly, lots of seedy strip clubs and a bunch of coffee drinking hippies and yuppies (in NW portland).

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weather that seems to always be 55 and overcast, high unemployment rate and the ability to wear fleece anywhere.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oregon

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Weather that seems to always be 55 and overcast, high unemployment rate and the ability to wear fleece anywhere.
Not really. PDX is fine. Not a happening city but not a **** box either. very clean, lots of white people, good food, great transport, well maintained and designed. Decent to good music scene. Up and coming (came?) food scene. Lots of DIY type activites and the people that love them. If you have a good job offer you could do a lot worse.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where should i be looking for apartments? the office is just between Tigard and Beaverton it seems and i'd like to live somewhere near good food, produce and transit (or a $10 cab ride from all of the fun)

tdangio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
where should i be looking for apartments? the office is just between Tigard and Beaverton it seems and i'd like to live somewhere near good food, produce and transit (or a $10 cab ride from all of the fun)

Don't live in Tigard or Beaverton. I think the most popular is the Pearl District, lots of restaurants and bars you can walk to there.

Caveat: I don't live in Portland. Brother lives in Portland and doesn't have good things to say about those two areas as far as living.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I grew up in Portland (Beaverton area). Tigard and Beaverton are ****** run-down towns. If you're going to live in Portland, live in Portland, downtown, or within like a 5 minute drive. You'll die of boredom unless you think rain and clouds are fun.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I grew up in Portland (Beaverton area). Tigard and Beaverton are ****** run-down towns. If you're going to live in Portland, live in Portland, downtown, or within like a 5 minute drive. You'll die of boredom unless you think rain and clouds are fun.

what other areas within that 5 minute drive area would you consider? nob hill seems to be the affordable choice as far as places within walking distance of the pearl

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Hah...I grew up in beaverton in the scholls area and then bull mountain. It's good for families but yeah....live in portland. I would live in south east off hawthorne personally love the vibe out there. Commute might suck though...just saw that. X

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
what other areas within that 5 minute drive area would you consider? nob hill seems to be the affordable choice as far as places within walking distance of the pearl

What's "affordable"? Near the pearl there's a couple big condo buildings by the side of the river, my sister used to live there for something like 700 a month, it was very nice. I would say nob hill might be your best all-around bet.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only drawback with NW 23rd area is there is limited parking and it sucks to look for parking there. depends on where you're gonna to live though i guess if they have parking...not too familiar with living down there though. Just live somewhere near a max/streetcar line. nob hill isn't max/streetcar friendly i believe,

I'd live in the pearl...its pretty nice living if you can afford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads