• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay. I admit it. I was an asshole for posting the comment from the "somm". I hope everyone is now happy.
omg-yes.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Rambo
I was asked not to respond to your attacks due to your personal situation. I will respect that request.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was asked not to respond to your attacks due to your personal situation. I will respect that request.
You don't need to add sugar because you're sweet enough as it is.
inlove.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, not to sound like an idiot, but can somebody explain the malo-oak-butter thing to me?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
OK, not to sound like an idiot, but can somebody explain the malo-oak-butter thing to me?

something something something...

Buy French.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. it makes us nitpicky.

AAAC/MC educated, the bane of menswear sales assistants

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

it's the difference between white burgundy and chablis, frenchy. chardonnay naturally has a kind of sharp green apple acidity (malic acid). to soften that, winemakers induce a second fermentation in which the malic acid is converted to lactic acid, which is perceived as rounder and creamier (buttery). this secondary fermentation is usually done when the wine is in oak, hence the descriptive "toasty buttery". this is a very popular style in American Chardonnay. in fact, you could argue that the taste of American chardonnay was set by Jess Jackson back in the '70s when he combined this toasty buttery flavor with a very small amount of residual sugar ... not perceptibly sweet ... which gives and even richer texture. Some argue this was critical for swinging a nation of scotch drinkers to white wine. Others argue that it is a travesty.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will pass on making a personal swipe at you. I generally respect your opinions but have noticed that since I do not align with your political views you have come to not respect mine about anything. Such is life.

just for the record, it's not your opinions that i dislike, though i do disagree with many of them, it's your way of arguing them. there are many people with whom i disagree politically whose company i enjoy, both virtually and in real life.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
just for the record, it's not your opinions that i dislike, though i do disagree with many of them, it's your way of arguing them. there are many people with whom i disagree politically whose company i enjoy, both virtually and in real life.

I'm sorry but I try to mirror my presentation to whom I am addressing. I hope you notice I take a different tone/tact with different posters, regardless of their political affiliation?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Piob can be selectively pedantic or obtuse, but he is polite to those who are polite to him and has in the past edited a post to remove something I took issue with.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
inlove.gif

Back to food.

My braised pork belly had it's skin stick to my grill basket, even after I used non-stick spray for the grill.
ffffuuuu.gif

Saved 90% of the skin though
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
it's the difference between white burgundy and chablis, frenchy. chardonnay naturally has a kind of sharp green apple acidity (malic acid). to soften that, winemakers induce a second fermentation in which the malic acid is converted to lactic acid, which is perceived as rounder and creamier (buttery). this secondary fermentation is usually done when the wine is in oak, hence the descriptive "toasty buttery". this is a very popular style in American Chardonnay. in fact, you could argue that the taste of American chardonnay was set by Jess Jackson back in the '70s when he combined this toasty buttery flavor with a very small amount of residual sugar ... not perceptibly sweet ... which gives and even richer texture. Some argue this was critical for swinging a nation of scotch drinkers to white wine. Others argue that it is a travesty.

You're too late, Sally, I already told him!
But you're spot on. I don't know if you or someone else brought up the quote regarding residual sugar, but Americans have dry tastes and sweet palates.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You're too late, Sally, I already told him!
But you're spot on. I don't know if you or someone else brought up the quote regarding residual sugar, but Americans have dry tastes and sweet palates.

well, i'm not privy to you two's backchannel tit-a-****.
i think the correct quote is "talk dry, drink sweet". ask most fine diners and they will scoff at the notion of a sweet wine, when those are some of the most spectacular made (and remarkably versatile ... jeremiah t swears that yquem is the perfect match for everything from oysters to roast beef ... i've had it with roast beef and he's not wrong).
at the same time, the "dry" wines they'll prefer will have a trace of sweetness ... not mogen-david sweet, but just enough to give it weight and roundness.
as i said, it's the transition from a cocktail culture.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
well, i'm not privy to you two's backchannel tit-a-****.
i think the correct quote is "talk dry, drink sweet". ask most fine diners and they will scoff at the notion of a sweet wine, when those are some of the most spectacular made (and remarkably versatile ... jeremiah t swears that yquem is the perfect match for everything from oysters to roast beef ... i've had it with roast beef and he's not wrong).
at the same time, the "dry" wines they'll prefer will have a trace of sweetness ... not mogen-david sweet, but just enough to give it weight and roundness.
as i said, it's the transition from a cocktail culture.

Yep. Your boy Matt Kramer did some research on an incredibly old (as in, older than you and rube COMBINED!) pairing from one of the old time fancy French places in NYC. It was pretty incredible. Yquem with oysters, the best red wine served w/ petit fours, and the most surprising thing to me--- champagne with lamb and brown sauce.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, there's a lot of those weird old combinations. of course, without knowing exactly what the wines tasted like (they were different then) and what the food tasted like (it was different then, too), it's kind of hard to know. Plus, there has always been an aspect of fine dining that is all about conspicuous consumption. Hard to know which of those combinations fit that bill, too.
I used to wonder what it must have been like to eat at some of those old restaurants. The one i'm most curious about is point (not THAT old ... i've known people who ate their when the chef was alive). they said the food was too heavy for people's palates these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads