• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Girls in the 60s came in 2 catagories.The ones you went steady with and the ones you had a laugh with.Girls could be outragious(not puking up in the Street,I grant you but...).You would go to the Palais and stand with your Mates.A Girl would catch your eye and sometimes they come up and ask you to dance.This has happened to me-and we went out for 6 months(a lifetime in those days).There was an early version of "Ladettes"then.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Sorry, Alex, I know nothing about it, and have no idea where and when it was taken. Interesting points to note, though: the girl's hair appears to be a grown-out crop; the bloke isn't wearing braces (that's almost a mod thing, if you had shrunk-fit your Levis); the bloke's jeans have a single turn-up; the bloke has tattoos...

Originally Posted by Lasttye
Yes its hard to date this pic, I think it maybe late 68/early 69, Not wearing braces was not a big deal, the turn ups are a bit strange, I do not think the Girls hair is a grown out feather cut,
I remember girls wearing that type of dress when i was in school in 68, its just what any girl would have worn.
Going back to the turn ups, We would just roll them up, trying to get the turn up 3 quarter of a inch.. to one inch.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've known this pic for some time and always thought the bloke in it looked slightly unusual, to my mind he looks definitely 'into it' however (The girl looks pretty ordinary, I'm sure she did 'understand' though. Some original once mentioned it was highly important that the girl would 'understand'...) as in not being one of those 'reluctant skinheads' that is.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brideshead;4345935 said:
M-o-M, I think we may not always have been in agreement on some points recently, but I am in complete agreement here. Cool, understated, graceful and with a lot of poise. I have commented before, I think that make-up was skillfully applied and never outrageous, jewellery was discreet and behaviour likewise.

What?which Clubs did you go to?There was a period when the Make-up was thick black mascara and false eyelashes,sometimes very long.These were not Hookers but Skinhead Girls!Look at the pictures of Girlls with their Hair tied in the Bun.Look at their make-up.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Thanks for the comments guys. I've known this pic for some time and always thought the bloke in it looked slightly unusual, to my mind he looks definitely 'into it' however (The girl looks pretty ordinary, I'm sure she did 'understand' though. Some original once mentioned it was highly important that the girl would 'understand'...) as in not being one of those 'reluctant skinheads' that is.
I think he could be a Northerner-with turn-ups like that!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the 60s Daughters behaved like their Mums, These Days Mums behave like their Daughters Lol

Not sure if thats good or Bad Lol

bunty

Reaction score
This was particular to my neck of the woods. See if you agree chaps - If you went 'up west' to a night club, between '65-'67, you had to dress in clothes that you would never wear locally. You could just swing it with short hair, but to guarantee entry (and not be looked at in horror by girls) you had to wear something a bit loud and flashy. This is when the clubs played soul and pop, before it went 'heavy' and you wouldn't want to go then anyway (I think Lasttye pointed this out before?) You also had to sneak to the train station in case you mates spotted you in your lairy clobber
laugh.gif
Was it the same in all cities? Anyway, is this when the look got 'harder' for most mods? Not a reaction to flower power as such, but a more 'local' look with your own 'local' Top Ranks/Meccas etc. Your own 'scene'? The media didn't want to know about it because nobody in the media looked like that! It wasn't groovy now was it? I like Queenie and MoMs points about girls in the late 60's/early 70's, What's changed? Manners? Etiquette? (had to spellcheck it) What was so different then? I remember my mum wouldn't walk down the street eating. Or smoking. Or go up to the bar in a pub! Saying that, the old man wasn't perfect, but he shaved , polished his shoes everyday and wore a shirt and tie under his boilersuit for work, even though he was a fitter. They were a totally different breed then and handed their what? Morals? Decency? What is it ? Down to their children. Loads of things are better now...not all though eh?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
This was particular to my neck of the woods.
See if you agree chaps -

If you went 'up west' to a night club, between '65-'67, you had to dress in clothes that you would never wear locally. You could just swing it with short hair, but to guarantee entry (and not be looked at in horror by girls) you had to wear something a bit loud and flashy. This is when the clubs played soul and pop, before it went 'heavy' and you wouldn't want to go then anyway (I think Lasttye pointed this out before?) You also had to sneak to the train station in case you mates spotted you in your lairy clobber
laugh.gif
Was it the same in all cities? Anyway, is this when the look got 'harder' for most mods? Not a reaction to flower power as such, but a more 'local' look with your own 'local' Top Ranks/Meccas etc. Your own 'scene'? The media didn't want to know about it because nobody in the media looked like that! It wasn't groovy now was it?

I like Queenie and MoMs points about girls in the late 60's/early 70's, What's changed? Manners? Etiquette? (had to spellcheck it) What was so different then?

I remember my mum wouldn't walk down the street eating. Or smoking. Or go up to the bar in a pub! Saying that, the old man wasn't perfect, but he shaved , polished his shoes everyday and wore a shirt and tie under his boilersuit for work, even though he was a fitter. They were a totally different breed then and handed their what? Morals? Decency? What is it ? Down to their children. Loads of things are better now...not all though eh?

The 60s/70s have been responsible for a lot of the Garbage that is about today.Mind you,it did not come from the Working Man of those days-more from the so-called "radical"thinkers.Look at your average Street and tell me everything is ok?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We never went up to the West End in the late 60s, To us it was full of Druggies and Hippies.. and sleezy, We was far more comfortable around our own.
We did get in the Lyseam, off the Strand though. Tues, or Sat night would be full of Skinheads

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
There was a period when the Make-up was thick black mascara and false eyelashes,sometimes very long.

The girls I dated did wear mascara or false eyelashes, also some eyeshadow, but that was the extent of the obvious makeup. It all seemed to be concentrated on the eyes. The remainder was rather under-stated. This was in clubs etc south of the river.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The girls I dated did wear mascara or false eyelashes, also some eyeshadow, but that was the extent of the obvious makeup. It all seemed to be concentrated on the eyes. The remainder was rather under-stated. This was in clubs etc south of the river.
The point I am making M-o-M is that the Girls were not demure,in either their Looks or Behaviour.The Julie Driscoll Look was copied as was the Trend for Shiny Make-Up-this was `69/70I travelled all over London in the `60s,and I would say this was true in every Area. I am not saying all Girls were the same ,but,there were some who were not you average "Girl-next-door"Types.There were Girl Gangs.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brownie, I did not use the word 'demure'. I said 'cool' and 'poised' and I think I would stand by that, and by saying that there is a brashness in the 'revival' girls that was not there in the 'originals'. 'Demure' certainly doesn't describe the conversations (as reported to me) in the ladies' toilet in the Savoy Rooms, Catford.

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are skinhead villains in the new Hanna movie. anyone check that out?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brownie, I did not use the word 'demure'. I said 'cool' and 'poised' and I think I would stand by that, and by saying that there is a brashness in the 'revival' girls that was not there in the 'originals'. 'Demure' certainly doesn't describe the conversations (as reported to me) in the ladies' toilet in the Savoy Rooms, Catford.
I used the word "demure".I once saw a Girl getting kicked out of Wembley(when the Reggae Shows were on).She was a spitting,vicious looking Vixen.I will stand by what I have said.I never saw any of the "Revival"Lot when they were about,so I cannot comment on the Girls then.I have said before,the only time I was aware of Skinheads again-was when I worked on the Door at the Ilford Palais.They had Mod Alldayers and the two groups would shout across at each other.

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Got to agree with you MOM. Not 'demure', but definitely 'in control' of themselves and their behaviour. Even the women I know now who were the 'brasher' type of Skinheads then were a lot less 'ladish' than some girls now. As for the make-up, I think Brideshead said 'skilfully applied' not that they weren't wearing any. The Julie Driscoll style make-up isn't easy to do and, done well, can look very sophisticated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads