• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Re: bleached jeans...I've seen pictures of George Harrison in '65 with bleached jeans (Lee I believe) thus pre-dating the 'hard mod' era. Here's some examples (not the best examples, in the pics I've seen you can clearly see they are bleached jeans)...

tumblr_kzm3cxUYDZ1qzekpzo1_400.jpg

helpmodel.jpg

http://georgeislove.files.wordpress....pg?w=313&h=400

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
This appears to be a composite picture. I have my doubts about the girls on the left being from the late 60s - they seem a bit too brash. Just an impression.

Yes, I agree, MOM. I've had the two pictures on the right for ages; they're from the '60's / early '70's. The other one I have seen, but I think it's modern: the shape of the glass in the girl's hand; the fact that she appears to be dancing with a glass in her hand and their general demeanour (and clothes) don't say '60's to me. I think they're foreign Skinheads.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Re: bleached jeans...I've seen pictures of George Harrison in '65 with bleached jeans (Lee I believe) thus pre-dating the 'hard mod' era. Here's some examples (not the best examples, in the pics I've seen you can clearly see they are bleached jeans)...

tumblr_kzm3cxUYDZ1qzekpzo1_400.jpg

helpmodel.jpg

http://georgeislove.files.wordpress....pg?w=313&h=400

Hello Southlondongent, you've been away for a bit! Nice to see you back. How's the operation going to see if your Mum and Dad would let you post some of their old photos?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Queenie, is it just because I see the late 60s through rose-tinted specs? I just seem to remember that girls back then were cool and had a lot of poise. Maybe some of the other guys will agree.
smile.gif

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Queenie, is it just because I see the late 60s through rose-tinted specs? I just seem to remember that girls back then were cool and had a lot of poise. Maybe some of the other guys will agree.
smile.gif

No, I don't think you are looking at it idealistically. I think girls did behave differently, then. That sort of 'ladish' behaviour was generally frowned upon - if seen at all. When I first saw that photo it just jumped out at me that it didn't look like it came from the '60's: they're too brash.

John Boy

Reaction score
Get smart, you posted a picture of yourself wearing a red monkey jacket that was almost like a varsity jacket, can I ask where you got it?

I'm looking for a monkey jacket but I think the warrior clothing ones look a bit cheap and shapeless and the fred perry one on JTG is a little to pricey. Any ideas??

Cheers

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re monkey jackets. I wouldn't mind one myself. I'd be looking for one much the same as the one I originally had - navy blue with darker navy collar and cuffs, and NO brand or logo anywhere on it.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
smile.gif

M-o-M, I think we may not always have been in agreement on some points recently, but I am in complete agreement here. Cool, understated, graceful and with a lot of poise. I have commented before, I think that make-up was skillfully applied and never outrageous, jewellery was discreet and behaviour likewise.

I think Queenie is right - probably foreign and perhaps early 70s lagging a little behind those ITK!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really think we 'disagree' as such, we're just sometimes standing in slightly different places to see the same thing.
smile.gif

Right on the money about the girls, though!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Boy
Get smart, you posted a picture of yourself wearing a red monkey jacket that was almost like a varsity jacket, can I ask where you got it?
it's a heavy melton wool one by Lacoste, got it in Tokyo and it was only made for the Japanese market so it'll be near impossible to find at retail. check out Modern Action's monkey jacket. I don't have one myself nor seen one, but I know Duke and he is the real deal so I imagine the product is up to snuff M-o-M, perhaps Modern Action's navy monkey jacket is what you're looking for?
Navy_Monkey_Jacket-664x878.jpg

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Those are the Smithies from Deptford. I knew at least one of them (the bloke extreme left).

It's definitely one of the most interesting pictures I've seen as for Peanut/Totter style, had never seen it before either. How about this one though?

i249831449_32996_2.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
It's definitely one of the most interesting pictures I've seen as for Peanut/Totter style, had never seen it before either. How about this one though?

Sorry, Alex, I know nothing about it, and have no idea where and when it was taken. Interesting points to note, though: the girl's hair appears to be a grown-out crop; the bloke isn't wearing braces (that's almost a mod thing, if you had shrunk-fit your Levis); the bloke's jeans have a single turn-up; the bloke has tattoos...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest

i249831449_32996_2.jpg

Yes its hard to date this pic, I think it maybe late 68/early 69, Not wearing braces was not a big deal, the turn ups are a bit strange, I do not think the Girls hair is a grown out feather cut,
I remember girls wearing that type of dress when i was in school in 68, its just what any girl would have worn.
Going back to the turn ups, We would just roll them up, trying to get the turn up 3 quarter of a inch.. to one inch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads