• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naples + Capri shopping

ville_e

Reaction score
I will be in Naples and Capri next week and I was wondering if you could recommend some stores, tailors etc. In Naples: Rubinacci, Attolini etc. comes to mind. I'm looking for some nice Neapolitan shirts. I'm especially looking for local craftsmen that sell products for far less than the more famous names. I'd also very much appreciate some tips in terms of "good value for money" stores.. Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where in Naples are you staying?

Take a look at Manton's Naples travelogue, which hold a lot of good information regarding shopping districts and various tailors. Whilst it is interesting to visits shops of all kind, don't forget to eat—preferably sea food and pizza.

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Magnozzi
Where in Naples are you staying?

Take a look at Manton's Naples travelogue, which hold a lot of good information regarding shopping districts and various tailors. Whilst it is interesting to visits shops of all kind, don't forget to eat"”preferably sea food and pizza.

I'm staying at the Grand Hotel Vesuvio.
smile.gif

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

Looking forward to hear more recommendations.

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
I'm staying at the Grand Hotel Vesuvio.
smile.gif

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

Looking forward to hear more recommendations.

I created a google map for my own reference - see below.
http://sartorialnonsense.blogspot.co...ing-guide.html

As for camiceria, Francesco Merolla is my default choice; Finamore is literally 2 minutes' walk from his atelier (and another 5 mins' walk to Rubinacci) so it's fairly easy to get around that area.
If you are staying in Naples for more than 2 days, you should be able to go for a full bespoke option, at least at Merolla.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice

As for camiceria, Francesco Merolla is my default choice; Finamore is literally 2 minutes' walk from his atelier (and another 5 mins' walk to Rubinacci) so it's fairly easy to get around that area.
If you are staying in Naples for more than 2 days, you should be able to go for a full bespoke option, at least at Merolla.

Great looking shirts and ties. If you're serious about shirts, I'd also suggest visiting Anna Matuozzo; her fabric selection is, modestly put, exhaustive.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If I wanted shirts in Naples, I would go to Merolla. Nothing against Matuozzo but she is more than 2x the price, I believe. Merolla is already around 250 euros.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great guide and blog. I'm loving those EG's you picked out - the stripe on the far right is awesome.

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
If I wanted shirts in Naples, I would go to Merolla. Nothing against Matuozzo but she is more than 2x the price, I believe. Merolla is already around 250 euros.

Fully agreed. Merolla can be well below 250 euros if you go for regular fabrics (i.e. anything but Carlo Riva).

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Great guide and blog. I'm loving those EG's you picked out - the stripe on the far right is awesome.

Thanks Whnay, the one on the far right is actually Rubinacci so it is not surprising that you took a fancy to it.

The one on the far left is H&S escorial, which has a stronger hand than cashmere...

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO, goto Naples if you only want bespoke. The Italian/Neapolitan RTW brands can be found in more abundance else where such as Milan and Florence than in Naples.

gusvs

Reaction score
Go see Mina at Napoli Su Misura and then you can have your fitting when she comes to Stockholm end of May
smile.gif

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a Mrs. traveling with you or if you like jewelery stores but while you are visiting Capri I highly recommend stopping by La Campanina Capri. It is a small family owned store. Unfortunately Lina and Alberto have passed away but their children run the store now and they are great.

-LR

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fully agreed. Merolla can be well below 250 euros if you go for regular fabrics (i.e. anything but Carlo Riva).

At least the last time I checked, Anna charged a flat rate for all fabrics, and it would seem half her stock is a variety of blue Riva. But maybe things have changed.

I still haven't seen hand-stitched sleeve attachments as neat.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
IMO, goto Naples if you only want bespoke. The Italian/Neapolitan RTW brands can be found in more abundance else where such as Milan and Florence than in Naples.
I would second this.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
At least the last time I checked, Anna charged a flat rate for all fabrics, and it would seem half her stock is a variety of blue Riva. But maybe things have changed.

I still haven't seen hand-stitched sleeve attachments as neat.

What are her rates at the moment? IIRC, it was EUR 400+, which is still quite a premium comparing to Merolla. I may snap a photo of a sleeve attachment for comparison, if anyone is interested.

Speaking of Merolla, it was previously named Merolla et de L'Ero. Some time ago Francesco and Gabriella split. Merolla is at the previous location of via Calabritto, 20. While de L'Ero moved to a different location, which is on the next street close to E.Marinella and Napoli su Misura at via Satriano 5. I've heard that Gabriella may be better than Francesco. However, I do not have any information neither on prices, nor on her contact details other than address.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads