• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I know if wristwatch repairman actually services my watch?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my baby is at the 5 years period for repair. It keeps chronometer time, about +5 seconds a day right now. I was quoted a hefty price since the watch has reserve de marche and chronograph. This would be my first time to this particular "authorized" shop. As with previous cleaning, I have no idea what these people actually do with my watch. How do I know if they actually take everything apart and clean like they suppose to? Watch repairing has got to be the least transparent profession that I know of. The people that I give my watch to, that I deal with in person, is usually not the actual person doing the work.
eh.gif

alexanduh

Reaction score
sit and look over their shoulder
biggrin.gif

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Your best bet may be this little trick. This trick might actually help resolve all trust issues with any merchant / provider of a service:

1) Walk up to them, make sure you are seen, but say nothing. Pull out a camera and take a picture of them. Say nothing. Walk outdoors and take a picture of the front of their shop.

2) Walk in, politely introduce yourself and purchase your goods / service.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you have to trust the fact that it's an authorized shop that they're performing the service. I don't think most shops service them in-house.

But like you say, I'm not sure there's any real way of knowing. More scary is the thought of shops that swap out original parts with fake and sell the original parts elsewhere (though I highly doubt this would ever happened at an authorized dealer).

Wolfador

Reaction score
Its kind of like auto mechanics, Did he really change my oil?

The only way I could think of would be having it inspected at another shop after the work was done.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
my baby is at the 5 years period for repair. It keeps chronometer time, about +5 seconds a day right now. I was quoted a hefty price since the watch has reserve de marche and chronograph. This would be my first time to this particular "authorized" shop. As with previous cleaning, I have no idea what these people actually do with my watch. How do I know if they actually take everything apart and clean like they suppose to? Watch repairing has got to be the least transparent profession that I know of. The people that I give my watch to, that I deal with in person, is usually not the actual person doing the work.
eh.gif

As with anything ... choose a shop with a good reputation. You might consider going to a watch forum to ask how they'd rate the repair shop you've selected.

Personally I return mine to the maker in Switzerland.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides Pateks, I have a local watch maker who specializes in vintage and antique watches. I found him though an inquiry on watchuseek and he came higly recommended.

I met with him and verified that he knew his stuff. I have since built a relationship with him and he does all of my vintage, non-Patek watches. He is the one who does the work, and if requested, can show me anything I would like to see that he is doing.

If you live in a larger city, you should have a jewelery row where there will be a selection of experienced watchmakers. That might be a good place to start. Non-cronographs usually run about $300-$350 if they need a new crystal. Cronographs go up from there--depending on the complication.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to stay with authorized dealers and larger well know shops in your area. The only other way tis to get a good relationship with your local watch shop. The bottom line is if oyu do not feel comfortable leaving the watch and getting the service you pay for, then do not leave the watch. Building relationships with dealers helps this a great deal.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
my baby is at the 5 years period for repair. It keeps chronometer time, about +5 seconds a day right now.
Don't have it serviced

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother leaving my $7K watch with ANYONE i dont trust.

AAP

Reaction score
If it is still keeping good time, as yours seems to be, I wouldn't bother with the service yet.

In many cases, an authorized shop (not talking independent here) has one price for a service which includes cleaning, lubricating, and replacing any normal wear-and-tear parts. So, while taking it in for preventative maintenance every 5 years will keep other parts from wearing out, you will be paying a premium for it. If you wait until the watch's performance starts to decline, then you'll likely pay the same price for the service, yet get "more" for your money - - they will still replace the now-worn parts and you will have delayed or skipped one of the intermediate services.

Aside from that, I would ask that any parts which are replaced be returned to you. This way, once the service is finished, you'll have proof that the work was completed.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At some point in life, even in this age of cynicism, you just have to have faith in an honest business. Caution is fine, but there's a point beyond which it just creates angst. Going to a well-respected, recommended, long-standing, place is probably a good starting point in generating faith.

lankyq

Reaction score
For the most part, I prefer to send my watches back to the manufacturer. After relocating to NYC from London, I haven't yet found anyone local that I trust....

danskidoo

Reaction score
I agree if it's running fine I wouldn't have the case opened. The only movement I've heard of wearing out is a Zenith because it runs a faster bph (beat per hour). I've been told that now days a lot of movements are just replaced when they wear out and not really repaired. If it starts acting up depending on what it's doing you will need to open it up. If the watch is used during diving it might need to have the seals pressure checked.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay...thank you for everyone's advice. I think I'll just wear it till it needs actual repair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads