• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just picked up a pair of Cole Haan Derby Casual, could use an opinion on the look

jcblitz

Reaction score
First off, this is my first post so be gentle.
smile.gif

I decided I need to update my wardrobe after coasting on what I've been wearing since college, things like American Eagle and and the occasional J Crew sale item. I'm 31 and I work in a "business relaxed" environment but prefer "business casual" with a tie at least once a week. I've had my eye on a set of wing tips for a while, specifically Allen Edmonds McAllister . After reading through this site the last few days...I've had second thoughts (a lot of negative comments about them). Either way, I've never owned tan shoes before, let alone wing tips, so I thought I would go with something more conservative to start.

Enter, Cole Haan Derby Causal. I picked these up at at a near by outlet mall and got an additional 20% off, so I did pretty good IMHO. But after I got them home, they seem orangish to me. Not quite tan, not quite brown.

Since I already had my camera setup, I thought I would snap a few photos with a couple pairs of pants I wear in regular rotation.

Can you guys give me your opinion? I have 10 shots in total from different views with 3 sets of pants if the thumbnails need expanding.

To be honost, they look better in the photos than they do when I look down at my feet
lol8[1].gif

http://jcblitz.imgur.com/cole_haan_derby_casual

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
You're probably not going to get a lot of love for those shoes here, but I like them (a lot.) And if you got a great deal on them - nice job. I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit - I am guessing that the grey pinstripe trousers are from a suit? I think the grey color is fine, but I would stick to similar color trousers with a dress shirt.

jcblitz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid
You're probably not going to get a lot of love for those shoes here, but I like them (a lot.) And if you got a great deal on them - nice job. I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit - I am guessing that the grey pinstripe trousers are from a suit? I think the grey color is fine, but I would stick to similar color trousers with a dress shirt.

Those grey pinstripes are Express producer pants. I wouldn't wear them with a suit either, they're way too casual, especially the laces.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan of Cole Haan (the AEs would have been a better choice) but those don't look terrible.

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcblitz
First off, this is my first post so be gentle.
smile.gif

I decided I need to update my wardrobe after coasting on what I've been wearing since college, things like American Eagle and and the occasional J Crew sale item. I'm 31 and I work in a "business relaxed" environment but prefer "business casual" with a tie at least once a week. I've had my eye on a set of wing tips for a while, specifically Allen Edmonds McAllister . After reading through this site the last few days...I've had second thoughts (a lot of negative comments about them). Either way, I've never owned tan shoes before, let alone wing tips, so I thought I would go with something more conservative to start.

Enter, Cole Haan Derby Causal. I picked these up at at a near by outlet mall and got an additional 20% off, so I did pretty good IMHO. But after I got them home, they seem orangish to me. Not quite tan, not quite brown.

Since I already had my camera setup, I thought I would snap a few photos with a couple pairs of pants I wear in regular rotation.

Can you guys give me your opinion? I have 10 shots in total from different views with 3 sets of pants if the thumbnails need expanding.

To be honost, they look better in the photos than they do when I look down at my feet
lol8[1].gif

http://jcblitz.imgur.com/cole_haan_derby_casual

They're fine but I'd change the laces to be darker than the shoe.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't look horrible (although I don't like all the contrasty bits). If you were looking for a conservative AE, the Park Ave seems to be the local favorite. (Delrays, however, are my personal favorites.)

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith
They're fine but I'd change the laces to be darker than the shoe.

+1 id only wear with jeans

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I like em. as long as you got a deal on them i think theyre fine. ID NEVER pay retail for a pair....ever. But I see them all the time for $40-$50 on sale at a local shop. not bad at all

Sazerac

Reaction score
I like them too. They look great with jeans. Personally, I love the light laces.

southbound35

Reaction score
First of all, welcome.

I think those shoes are fine for a business casual look (much better for that purpose than AE Park Avenues).

Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid
I think they look great with khakis, jeans, or trousers. I wouldn't wear them with a suit

Agreed, but I'd change "great" to "good".

Originally Posted by jcblitz
Those grey pinstripes are Express producer pants.

If you stick around SF for awhile and do a bit of lurking, you'll learn that casual striped pants (especially a grey or navy pinstripe) are generally frowned upon.

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I like em. as long as you got a deal on them i think theyre fine. ID NEVER pay retail for a pair....ever. But I see them all the time for $40-$50 on sale at a local shop. not bad at all

At what retail store do you see that? You see $200 shoes reduced to $40?

LouisD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith
At what retail store do you see that? You see $200 shoes reduced to $40?

I got a pair of dirty bucks a year and a half ago at a Cole Haan outlet for $50. Sometimes you get lucky. I've been there three times since and left within 5 minutes of scanning the merchandise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads