• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Kobe has been the best player in the league the past 13 years.

matik23

Reaction score
Wrong. Spoken like a true lakers fan, but not a basketball fan.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matik23
Wrong. Spoken like a true lakers fan, but not a basketball fan.

Who's been better/won more over that time period.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Kobe himself doesn't elevate a team. He's a ballhog without a supporting cast.

This is the most idiotic thing I've read in this thread (other than steve's posts).

Go back under your rock cockroach.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kobe's first 3 peat happened when it was Shaq's team. Post Shaq they were in their adjustment periods until they acquired Pau Gasol. Kobe himself doesn't elevate a team. He's a ballhog without a supporting cast.

How is Lebron even in contention for mvp talks after all that media coverage of heat breaking down during that certain period. It's Rose w/o a doubt. Did you not watch the magic game?

Rose made the Heat cry in their locker room.
Rose made the longest tenure coach retire from the Jazz.
Rose made a 5 year old Atlanta fan cry and TNT was heartless enough to capture it.]

who are you trying to argue with? Me? Foodguy? Because you might want to reread both posts - we both said Rose should be MVP...

And I didn't realize that Jerry Sloan retired because of Rose. Care to provide facts to back up that little gem?

sexandcandy

Reaction score
You have to give Rose the MVP because they have the best record in the league and he improved so much from last year to this year. I think a lot of it has to do with Thibs, he really took that team to the next level, but Rose made it possible. They went much of the year without 1 of both of their 2 best players in Noah and Boozer yet still managed this record. Thibs gets my vote for coach of the year as well.

But if you take that record out of the equation, MVP has to be Dwight Howard or LBJ. And I HATE LBJ. But it's called most valuable..look at the Cavs without LBJ..worst team in the league. Look at the Heat with LBJ..instant contenders. How can he not be the most valuable? And same with D12..he's playing with scrubs out there. He plays at a high level on both ends of the floor night in and night out, 2nd in rebounds, 2nd in blocks, 2nd in fg%, top 10 in scoring and without him the Magic is a lottery team.

Basically I think Rose is only deserving because of that record. Without it I would make the case for D12 or LBJ.

matik23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
This is the most idiotic thing I've read in this thread (other than steve's posts).

Go back under your rock cockroach.

You must have gotten into NBA recently when they acquired Gasol, and not 6-7 years ago. Hey remember when the Suns squashed them two seasons in a row first round? Of course not.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
You must have gotten into NBA recently when they acquired Gasol, and not 6-7 years ago. Hey remember when the Suns squashed them two seasons in a row first round? Of course not.

What is your point? So by your logic, Rose doesn't deserve an MVP because it took getting Boozer before they rose to the top of their conference? If they win it all this year, it's not because of Rose but because they got a post player?

GTFO

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Who's been better/won more over that time period.

Depends on what Jet meant by "best player the last 13 years"... Statement is vague as hell.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rose will win it. D12 should win it. Defense is really important to BB and D12 is a stud on both ends of the floor.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the Jerry Sloan comment, it seems that matik23 can't even tell Derrick Rose apart from Deron Williams
lol8[1].gif

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
From the Jerry Sloan comment, it seems that matik23 can't even tell Derrick Rose apart from Deron Williams
lol8[1].gif

lol yeah i was like wtf

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Depends on what Jet meant by "best player the last 13 years"... Statement is vague as hell.

Subjective? Maybe. Vague as hell? Hardly.

Besides, the list of guys who'd qualify for that title is prettyyyy pretty short. Duncan, Kobe, ???

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Besides, the list of guys who'd qualify for that title is prettyyyy pretty short. Duncan, Kobe, ???

Best player each of the last 13 years? Or the player with the overall, the best last 13 years?

I'm assuming he meant the latter, but I'm giving matik the benefit of the doubt that he misconstrued it as the former.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score

Over the past thirteen as a body of work, I'd easily rank Duncan over Kobe, and it's not even that close. Yeah Kobe might have more rings, but he was the Alpha on only the past two. What Duncan did in his market with SA's payroll was incredibly impressive. Advanced statistics bear this argument out pretty profoundly, whether you look at PER or Win-Share, or whatever else you chose. It really shouldn't even be much of an argument.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics