• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darts on striped or checkered shirts?

kakaman

Reaction score
Is it advisable to put darts in the back for striped or checkered shirts? I've got some that have too much fabric, but I'm guessing if darts are put in, the stripes or checks in the back will be curved and won't match up. Has anyone done this?

awxg

Reaction score
Why not? No one will look at the back of your shirt with a jacket on. It's fine even sans jacket.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I just got a checkered Kiton shirt with darts. Pattern matching was perfect.

Can you post a photo? I'm curious how it would look.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the horizontal stripe of the plaid can be matched.
but the vertical stripes are bent, coming to a point at the top.
just cant be helped when making darts.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Who cares? Nobody else is going to care if the patterns don't line up perfectly anymore.

myke

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have darts on my striped shirts. Obviously, you can tell, but I think it's less noticeable than a poorly fitting shirt.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dart all my shirts. No one really takes any notice of the stripes converging at the darts just like no one really takes notice of pattern matching at them seams of your shirts and suits. All they notice is the shirt fitting well around my sexy physique.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BoO button-down:
IMGP4747.jpg

chet31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieworkwear
I have darts on my striped shirts. Obviously, you can tell, but I think it's less noticeable than a poorly fitting shirt.

Agree, darting is far perferable than blousing around the waist.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of darts on a striped shirt. I think it adds some visual interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads