• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stronglifts back injury

Rangoon

Reaction score
I've damaged my lower back before whilst deadlifting,destroyed my training for weeks. Like you I couldn't drive or do anything without it suddenly going again, it was agony to the point of making me feel physically sick at times. Anti-inflammatory drugs helped things heal as well as pain killers. It took months until I trusted it again when squatting heavy or doing deads. I never used a belt either,still don't but I have perfected my form now so that I have not injured my back in about 2 years. Lay off heavy lifts for about four to six weeks and then try re-introducing them,slowly building your poundages up. I switched from straight bar deadlifting to trap bar deadlififting and find it much easier to keep strict form because I don't have to worry about getting the bar past my knees on the way back down.

innerstyle

Reaction score

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Stop seeing a chiropractor and go see a REAL doctor.

FTFY and +1.

or a real Physio works too.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by innerstyle
Are you on the stronglifts email list? Medhi sent some tips on technique that might help you, here's some links that might help you figure out where you went wrong. You don't want to go through life with a permanent back problem so I'd try to identify your form issue before you get back into it.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-low...ury-technique/
http://stronglifts.com/squats-exercise-lower-back-pain/
http://stronglifts.com/squat-clinic-...ck-pain-mitch/

There's some good info there, I need to try doing the low-bar position as I've been doing high bar. I also may need to modify my stance a bit and go a tad wider.

I've always squatted high bar, I never even thought of putting it further back. I may also need to not go as low. I really wish I did have a partner to watch my back as I go down. It would be nice to find someone that knows what they're doing, but I don't see many people doing squats at my gym anyways. And the ones that do, well I'm not sure they'd be of any help as they seem to be doing it all wrong.

trader

Reaction score
your story sounds exactly like mine to the T. i couldn't even bend that day, took a couple weeks off and went back and made it worse. chiropractors... i'll leave my comments to myself. charlie harper is right though. i saw one for a few sessions. they just apply some heat and crack your back. i can do that myself thanks.

go to a doctor which will refer you to a physical therapist (mine specialized in sports). they'll know what's up and give you a proper treatment.

my back still gets stiff easily and i still have pain but it's better than before. my problem stemmed from years and years of sitting and lack of stretching. i have anterior pelvic tilt, lodorsis, bad posture, etc. it's not directly from lifting since i had those issues before i started, but i suspect the heavy lighting was the straw that broke the camels back.

i still lift pretty hard. i've been making new personal bests every week at the gym. my back started hurting 3 years ago and i'm making progress but i understand it'll take a while cause i'm trying to undo over a decade of poor habits which caused this.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Definitely go see a real doctor

ftfy

edit: well, looks like someone already said it

Dar FTW

Reaction score
ICE is NICE too when you're just sitting around the house

alexanduh

Reaction score
if its your muscle rather than your spine go see a physio. you may have strained your back. best to stay away from the weights for a while. be sure to stretch your back a lot before doing anything with weights.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this that program where you squat/deadlift 3x a week

Thats what hurt your back

Take like 2 weeks off, and don't squat/deadlift more than once a week. Obv focus on form over progress

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
What you did wrong was to lift more than 70 lbs. After a back injury, your new maximum is about 30. Don't believe me? Go pick up heavier weight and watch yourself get injured again.

lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

Bluff

Reaction score
Take it easy for a while, lower back pain isn't something you mess around with. When you start training again go VERY slow. I'd also recommend getting a foam roller to stretch with before lifting. Your form was probably decent, but you're going to need to incorporate some other lifts to strengthen your core at your low body weight. Are you lifting with a belt? Do more good mornings (very important with deadlifting), rack pulls, etc. Don't deadlift more than once every week. I'd also recommend doing box squats for a while, it stresses proper squat form. Here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...om_head_to_toe

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stupid crap

Wait.
You sigged Apropos mocking you for being the singular dumbest poster on the fora?
facepalm.gif

danilo

Reaction score
Is Soma an anti-inflammatory? No. Soma is a knockout drug for people who hurt too much to fall asleep. You really should not play Russian roulette with drugs. What you did wrong was to lift more than 70 lbs. After a back injury, your new maximum is about 30. Don't believe me? Go pick up heavier weight and watch yourself get injured again. Don't say I didn't warn you. Accept the fact that you are young and stupid and hurt yourself for life. Don't be a fool and hurt yourself again like I did.
Actually, an anti-inflammatory is exactly what Soma is. Carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant, is used with rest, physical therapy, and other measures to relax muscles and relieve pain and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, and other muscle injuries. Speaking of Russian roulette, Friday night I took a Soma, Percoset, some wine, and a couple glasses of Scotch
stirpot.gif
I actually felt fine lifting up to 135 lbs, it's when I went up to 185lbs that I started to feel pain, I'm pretty sure I can lift more than 30lbs. Seriously, my backpack weighs more than 30lbs.
crackup[1].gif
Originally Posted by Bluff
Take it easy for a while, lower back pain isn't something you mess around with. When you start training again go VERY slow. I'd also recommend getting a foam roller to stretch with before lifting. Your form was probably decent, but you're going to need to incorporate some other lifts to strengthen your core at your low body weight. Are you lifting with a belt? Do more good mornings (very important with deadlifting), rack pulls, etc. Don't deadlift more than once every week. I'd also recommend doing box squats for a while, it stresses proper squat form. Here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...om_head_to_toe
Thanks, yeah that's good advice. I will probably start doing some good mornings as well. I guess since I'm not trying to gain much more strength or mass squat may not be necessary as often. Thanks for the useful replies everybody.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads