• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^lol. but understandable. not many people delve into malolactic fermentation and diaetyl formation

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
^lol. but understandable. not many people delve into malolactic fermentation and diaetyl formation

Agreed. I just don't think those people that don't should introduce themselves as a sommelier!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Agreed. I just don't think those people that don't should introduce themselves as a sommelier!
Come on, pio.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Come on, pio.

ffffuuuu.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

YOu can only expect the level of knowledge commensurate with the location. At Daniel, sure, but not everywhere.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
YOu can only expect the level of knowledge commensurate with the location. At Daniel, sure, but not everywhere.

I must disagree. It was one of the better local places, which granted is just my po-dunk town, but still. Also, Chard is the single most popular varietal with oak and butter being the two most common spoken of taste components in New World Chards. Now, I'd not expect a waitron to know this, or even a bartender. But when a person goes out of his way to introduce himself as a sommelier and then make such a stupid statement concerning the featured wine?

ffffuuuu.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must disagree. It was one of the better local places, which granted is just my po-dunk town, but still. Also, Chard is the single most popular varietal with oak and butter being the two most common spoken of taste components in New World Chards. Now, I'd not expect a waitron to know this, or even a bartender. But when a person goes out of his way to introduce himself as a sommelier and then make such a stupid statement concerning the featured wine?

ffffuuuu.gif

The self-satisfaction of knowing more than this rube must have been intoxicating.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The self-satisfaction of knowing more than this rube must have been intoxicating.

No, that was the wine.
laugh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

Why would you get satisfaction from that? That's like taking joy in being the tallest person in some malnourished North Korean village.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. it makes us nitpicky.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. it makes us nitpicky.

I try to keep that in mind when people want to talk about the state of health care in the US and/or Canada.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to keep that in mind when people want to talk about the state of health care in the US and/or Canada.

yes, i've noticed your gentlemanly nature in CE.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and just to keep this on topic: most malolactic takes place in oak barrels ... so though the guy might have been technically overbroad, he was generally correct. oak and butter do go together.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay. I admit it. I was an asshole for posting the comment from the "somm".

I hope everyone is now happy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
yes, i've noticed your gentlemanly nature in CE.

I will pass on making a personal swipe at you. I generally respect your opinions but have noticed that since I do not align with your political views you have come to not respect mine about anything. Such is life.

Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads