• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small Talk Skills

KPO89

Reaction score
Any job in sales or a successful career in business requires being able to create small talk. No one likes to lead off a sales call with business. I've made the mistake of doing this in my first couple months on the job. I knew better but for lack of better planning I spoiled several good opportunities by leading off with canned sales talk.

There is no formula for successful small talk however there has to be some tips and tricks everyone uses to make it easier. Small talk doesn't really come natural to everybody...like all skills it has to be developed.

I've learned to somewhat pre-plan small talk by looking at the prospect's LinkedIn page or reading news relevant to the prospect's position on the morning of the call....even as simple as looking at what they display in their office when the meeting takes place there.

What do you do?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
google.com

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what the hell kind of world do we live in where people are making threads about how to force inorganic small talk

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Find something they are passionate about and start a conversation about that topic, once they start responding then just become a good listener.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Just start off with current events and don't get political or talk about touchy subjects. Then is business time.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Just start off with current events and don't get political or talk about touchy subjects. Then is business time.

This is the beauty of living on the Great Plains: everyone "” and I mean absolutely everyone "” here talks about the weather. If you can sense the temperature, the humidity or the quality of sunlight present, you're a small-talking master!
happy.gif

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
what the hell kind of world do we live in where people are making threads about how to force inorganic small talk

I am not talking about forcing inorganic small talk but there are some people who have a better grasp on creating a conversational flow...other people who happen to be more introverted need to practice this.

There is nothing inorganic about tactically keeping a conversation moving. Inorganic is the age-old "Weather talk..."

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This is the beauty of living on the Great Plains: everyone "” and I mean absolutely everyone "” here talks about the weather. If you can sense the temperature, the humidity or the quality of sunlight present, you're a small-talking master!
happy.gif

And here we have it, folks, the only beautiful thing about living on the Great Plains.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
And here we have it, folks, the only beautiful thing about living on the Great Plains.

Don't forget the RubeBabesâ„¢

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
when I do sales call I keep it direct, short and respectful at the first meeting. I also try to see if the person I'm talking to would be someone I can hit off well if I try to make small talk, and also look around for clues about him so I can find common topics that we can talk about. I also try not to rush it for fear that I come on too strong or fresh. at the back of my mind, whenever I talk to clients whether personally or by phone I try to make it a pleasurable experience for them, and everyone has their own way of defining whats pleasurable so I adapt.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
You have much to learn, young Padawan. It is to make a connection with the other person and will make your job a lot easier if you can make that connection. Not like its a totally new 2010 sales concept. It has always been around. It's called having people skills.

boo

Reaction score
As a recipient of sales calls, sports seems to be a fairly common topic and seems to work for most people, at least men. It just doesn't really work for me since I'm not that much of a sports fan and don't follow it closely. I'm glad I won't be in the office tomorrow, otherwise I'll probably have 20 calls from people wanting to talk about Tiger Woods.

I have a friend who keeps close tabs on reality TV shows. While many people won't care, the ones who do will be passionate about it, and it gives her a reason to touch base on a regular basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads