• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit in the shower?

vanzdog

Reaction score
I've heard you could pop your wool suit in the shower and the steam will take out any minor wrinkles.....thoughts?

Not get it wet....but hang it on the towel rake a few feet away

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually wear my suit when I take a shower.

LukeM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I usually wear my suit when I take a shower.
+1 When I get out I quickly blow dry it to get a snug fit

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad title.
laugh.gif
It's an old trick worth doing when you're traveling, but for home use get a Jiffy steamer or one of the other brands. There are a lot of threads on this topic.

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Bad title.
laugh.gif
It's an old trick worth doing when you're traveling, but for home use get a Jiffy steamer or one of the other brands. There are a lot of threads on this topic.

Don't remember where the thread was, but I recall a thread that pointed out that using steam on wool suits is not the best idea, and cause your suits to lose their shape prematurely.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrclam
Don't remember where the thread was, but I recall a thread that pointed out that using steam on wool suits is not the best idea, and cause your suits to lose their shape prematurely.

That was a post from jeffreyd, a very respected tailor/member here, but there was much disagreement with him on this particular topic. I steam my suits, not often mind you, but they have suffered no ill effects.

vanzdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrclam

That was a post from jeffreyd, a very respected tailor/member here, but there was much disagreement with him on this particular topic. I steam my suits, not often mind you, but they have suffered no ill effects.

definitley helpful

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jeffrey's advice was accurate, but the debate is over whether or not his advice is practical for most people. The same debate could be, and has been, had over Alex Kabbaz's shirt care regimen.

One of the biggest challenges I have when trying to follow Jeffrey's advice, for instance, is actually getting all the wrinkles out of my suits. Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.
Yes, I spot steam where needed.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
What does Jeffrey recommend for suit care? From the cryptic way people are talking about it I would imagine goats blood, chanting and a virgin are involved.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Jeffrey's advice was accurate, but the debate is over whether or not his advice is practical for most people. The same debate could be, and has been, had over Alex Kabbaz's shirt care regimen.

One of the biggest challenges I have when trying to follow Jeffrey's advice, for instance, is actually getting all the wrinkles out of my suits. Sometimes I just need to bust out the E-Steam and touch things up. So long as I'm being careful and not just haphazardly blasting all over the suit with the steamer, I'll probably be fine.

This. Jeffery's thread scared me a bit as well, until I realized I have been steaming my suits for a decade now w/o incident.

That said, he does have a point, overuse of steam can be detrimental. I tried ironing w a cloth as he recommends, but I just dont have the skill, time, or patience to do so. So Im back to just the Jiffy steamer, albeit now trying to limit the steam to just the wrinkled areas.

sellahi22

Reaction score

I thought his main point was that steaming can undo the iron shaping that high end bespoke cutters do. His analogy was to a woman's curls on a humid day.

sellahi22

Reaction score

I thought his main point was that steaming undoes the iron shaping that high end bespoke cutters do. His analogy was to a woman's curls on a humid day.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Cutler, one of the best bespoke tailors in Australia (if not the best) and considered by some one of the best in the world, says it's okay to place your suit in the bathroom and use the steam of the shower to smooth out the wrinkles, particularly when travelling. I'm happy to take his word for it. http://www.cutlerbespoke.com.au/trav...poke-suits.php

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I arrive after a cross country flight I frequently unpack, hang my suit and pants in the bathroom, shut the door and take a lice long shower before going out to eat. I feel great and the steam gets rid of all the wrinkles.

If clothing was ruined by steam, then it would be destroyed during a humid summer or after brisk walks in winter when you perspire. Natural fabrics are highly resistant to reasonable amounts of moisture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads