• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
0BdIe.jpg

WKK7k.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure if this is strictly conservative business dress, but the navy blazer might help.

P1030688.jpg
P1030683_2.jpg

P1030685.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You need a bigger shirt colloar, gnatty.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You need a bigger shirt colloar, gnatty.

Agreed. The thinking was that the lapels were rather narrow, and the tie, fairly slender also, but I think you are right, looks crowded up there.

ctp120

Reaction score
0BdIe.jpg
WKK7k.jpg

Shoulders look more structured than you usually wear, or at least the seams aren't as flat. Mind commenting on who made the coat?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Shoulders look more structured than you usually wear, or at least the seams aren't as flat. Mind commenting on who made the coat?

William Field. Almost 20 years old. I love the cloth but not the cut; not blaming him, just that my tastes changed.

ctp120

Reaction score
William Field. Almost 20 years old. I love the cloth but not the cut; not blaming him, just that my tastes changed.

Know exactly how you feel. I posted a pic of a rope shouldered, ticket-pocketed number last week that fits that same bill. Not nearly as old as your coat though. Yours looks remarkably current given its age--like classic, moderately proportioned clothing should.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As to the businesswear point, please read the numerous comments in which I and others have repeated over and over (and over) that this thread is not exclusively about businesswear. Please also look at a calendar.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a bigger shirt collar, gnatty.

WADR Manton, the scale of your shirt collar together with the suit's lapels/collars and tie is a little off - with the shirt's collar being slightly large.

Perhaps a case of bespoke and RTW mishmash.

- M

WADR = With All Due Respect

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WKK7k.jpg

In terms of colours/patterns rather than fit/cut, I like this more than almost any of your other looks in this thread so far. There's some real fun in this. The shirt collar works nicely with the overall effect too. Nice one.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
WADR Manton, the scale of your shirt collar together with the suit's lapels/collars and tie is a little off - with the shirt's collar being slightly large.

Perhaps a case of bespoke and RTW mishmash.

- M

WADR = With All Due Respect

No, both bespoke. Much prefer large collars. I think at least half of the collars I see on SF are too small.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
339693b2.jpg
70f932b8.jpg

This is a nice light top, dark bottom--hard combo to do well.

ctp120

Reaction score
In the context of his height, I think Manton's collars look just right, even if large (specifically point length) by most standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads