• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotchLapel
While wearing a three-piece suit is it too much to wear a pocket square?

When wearing a pocket square would it be better to have the pocket square match your tie or your shirt?

No.

Neither.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
Not feeling great about some of these PS that sticks out so much from the pocket; nor did I like the PS with a overcoat, but it's a personal preference thing.

Some of them look like a strange sea creature is erupting out of the pocket. Not my thing.

They also look too studied most of the time. They're supposed to be so outrageously sprezz that they just partially placed it into the pocket, but it's all too carefully arranged. No "casual stuff" is going to result in these ridiculous waterfalls or erupting sea creatures.

Maybe it works for Italians in Italy.

NotchLapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
No.

Neither.

That did not make sense what so ever
plain.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this more clear, Noob?
facepalm.gif

While wearing a three-piece suit is it too much to wear a pocket square?

No.

When wearing a pocket square would it be better to have the pocket square match your tie or your shirt?

Neither.

NotchLapel

Reaction score
Well someone is being a jerk and pardon me for not knowing. But what color would choose for your pocket square then if it's neither.

either/or

Reaction score
Well someone is being a jerk and pardon me for not knowing. But what color would choose for your pocket square then if it's neither.
what I've learnt so far: 1. no, neither => no problem with the three piece, but no matching under any circumstance (unless PS is white). 2. let elements of the square pick up and/or contrast elements of your outfit. This goes for colours (unless the PS is white) as well as for pattern and texture.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something that will compliment or contrast with what you're wearing. This brings us to color and patterns.

Side note: While I was surfing through my TV channels, and I recently saw MC Hammer on Oprah and he wore something ridiculously bad. Maybe someone will find a picture of it. But he had a PS matching his tie.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
clarkgable1960.jpg

... and then all the pimps and ballers and bigtimers trudged, heads down, disconsolately away, like clowns from a bankrupt circus ...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
elmorerichmondIII20110318_0053.jpg

Jesse Thorn calls this a pocket parachute. I am thoroughly amused.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The concept seems good on paper but my real-world experience is that they never quite work. They can end up looking like a novelty. I would avoid them. There are far too many good alternatives that are classic and easy to work with.

Originally Posted by Tony Romo
http://www.trafalgarstore.com/item/F...are_Brown/6397

I kind of like this idea. You buy one base color and it gives you different shades for different outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads