• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrizaBirch
ln-cc's measurements are pretty spot on... edit: keep in mind the measurements are of the garments laid out flat, unstretched. eg i have 17 inch shoulders, but i wear XS in silent (silent stretches bigtime. bigga thyme.)
Rad, many thanks.
Originally Posted by dtmt
balmain-rip-detail-t-shirt-10038624_162538_330.jpg

holey shirts: desperate, or next level?
Desperately next-level. Or next-level desperate.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Explain how a country could be far from EVERYTHING. I'm curious...
Australia? I mean, it's overseas from and on a different continent than everywhere else...
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
just added a bunch of stuff to my sales topic (not that anyone here would be interested)
Part of me sees some awesomeness in the leather pants. The slightly more rational part of me recognizes that this would be a terrible idea.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Australia? I mean, it's overseas from and on a different continent than everywhere else...

LA to NYC is about 3000 miles
Australia to Indonesia is 1700; Malaysia 3000; Japan, China, S. Korea, or India all under 5000
What do you mean "everywhere else"
puzzled.gif

If you had said the civilized world I'd give you +1000000x00x0xx0x0 on your post, though .....

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got some grey ndg jeans and they have kind of a camel toe thing going on... hmm... really thin denim and loose cut, does this happen?
23mjo9.jpg

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
New Zealand is further from everything.

I think his post will be validated with NASA's planned one-way trip to establish a colony on Mars.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually not possible to do the "number of bumps" thing. That sounds sort of simple, but the technical implementation is actually pretty difficult. What would actually change would be the frequency with which someone could bump. I think that we might actually experiment with that a bit. Something like, the default is that you can bump every two week or something, and people could pay to bump once every 2 days, or every 24 hours (though), or whatever. The actual fees, the different usergroups, etc... are all in flux right now. We will probably invite about 50 people to test the B&S system (including MC and SW&D sellers) and adjust things accordingly.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
I do wish that we could kinda bump a few times. Maybe give at least sw&d users the chance to bump 2-3 times? If they want to use their 3 bumps in 1 day fine. or they'll stretch it out to do it once a week for 3 weeks

I dunno. I just think a lot of this stuff is to stop exploitation by a small amount of users at the expense of the majority of the users who understand the social contract. I do wish i could list a jacket at $215. Wait a few days to see if anyone wants it, then maybe drop it to $200 and hope someone bites then. It often is luck if the right person happens to be browsing and not everyone browses with the same focus and strategy.

Even now, i only see a very few amount of sw&d sale threads that are probably bending the rules slightly and it doesn't bother me that much because it's not that hard to scan like 2 pages to see the threads for the day. I can understand how it is a major issue on MC where it is more of a business though so i know you guys need some kind of change and that the payments and fees are more to discourage abuse and make it easier for buyers than it is to make money

Was there a thread or faq on this? I knew you have been talking about it but haven't really seen full info until now. I've been waiting to find the energy to make a sale thread for like 2years to sell **** i don't wear. Maybe i should do it now. Anyone in the boston area want to make $25-50 to take pictures and measurements of all my clothes lemme know

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
got some grey ndg jeans and they have kind of a camel toe thing going on... hmm... really thin denim and loose cut, does this happen?

They look okay but boring; however you have such a mountain of nice stuff that I can't really feel bad for you. I wish I could just saunter down the street and buy Attachment.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new B&S sounds interesting if the sort by newest listing thing works well. I'm almost never looking for anything specific in B&S.

Is there going to be a pre-set list of tags or something? Especially for brands it is often tough to search for things such as Band of Outsiders or Margiela, mostly because many will use BoO and MMM, or simply Band or just Margiela. That's one of the main reasons I don't do specific searches, as I'd often miss out on stuff.

Fashunz stuff: Don't really like a lot of Naked and Famous, would rather just shell out the extra 30 and get APCs or something, but I got to feel the linen blend denim and damn, it was nice. Almost instakopped it at $135 but slim guy fit is weird. Might go back and get em and then taper them though

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
The new B&S sounds interesting if the sort by newest listing thing works well. I'm almost never looking for anything specific in B&S.

Is there going to be a pre-set list of tags or something? Especially for brands it is often tough to search for things such as Band of Outsiders or Margiela, mostly because many will use BoO and MMM, or simply Band or just Margiela. That's one of the main reasons I don't do specific searches, as I'd often miss out on stuff.

We are looking into the feasibility of doing this, particularly for searches. A similar alternative would be to have an autocomplete or replace function, which is essentially eliminating the problem at the frontend. Probably, the autocomplete, if technically feasible, would be the better alternative, in the long run, because there are acronyms that can mean different things. The example the springs immediately to mind would be EG, which, right now, can be Engineered Garments or Edward Green.

Anyway, this is something that has come up in development meetings. There are a hundred things we'd like to do, and a lot of them are straightforward, but still take a few weeks of programming. So, we are having to prioritize. Other things are just too big a project to take on right now. Do you guys know how many engineer hours it took to program the new Yoox system? There is a reason that Yoox is powering more and more webstores. That type of cross categorization was on my wishlist, but unless someone can donate a few million, it just isn't going to happen.

That said, at some point, whether pre or post launch I don't know yet, there will probably be a set of preset tags, and users will be able to add to the list, with all user suggestions going through a moderator queue.

Fashion stuff: I am returning a Balenciaga belt to Yoox, because the sizing is crazy. I think that it was meant to be worn double wrapped, but that would mean you'd need a 23" waist to wear it. It fit my 12 year old well. Or, conversely, it'd fit a 46" waist, and while I'm not in fighting form, a 46" waist is just insulting. It was marked a 85/34. Maybe they screwed up, and cut it for a 34 cm waist? Hard to say.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New B&S sounds awesome, should solve quite a few problems.

I've wondered why someone hasn't done this for ages, will be good.

Listing individual items is a great idea, searching by categories and tags is good but hopefully people do it properly

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
They look okay but boring; however you have such a mountain of nice stuff that I can't really feel bad for you. I wish I could just saunter down the street and buy Attachment.

I wanted them because they're super light and comfy, and to break up all black outfits, but the crotch is throwing me off
do regular people notice this ****?

1z6e921.jpg

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
I wanted them because they're super light and comfy, and to break up all black outfits, but the crotch is throwing me off
do regular people notice this ****?

1z6e921.jpg

most of my jeans have some sort of problem like that but it doesn't really seem to be noticeable outside of pictures

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get to pick the next MC contest so someone help me think of a good one. I don't think they're ready for another sw&d themed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads