• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are talking about shoes and clothing that aren't apparently expensive to the normal eye, whereas cars are well known to be a certain price by anybody who has a common knowledge of the free market. If the public was educated enough to know what exists out there at what price points, not only would you have people judging your shoes, you'd have more people realizing they can afford the same stuff and buying it. There are so few desirable cars out there compared to buying clothes, buying expensive dining experiences, any other fleeting luxury experience - for every one cool type of car there are literally tens of thousands of personal stylistic choices one can choose.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
You are talking about shoes and clothing that aren't apparently expensive to the normal eye, whereas cars are well known to be a certain price by anybody who has a common knowledge of the free market. If the public was educated enough to know what exists out there at what price points, not only would you have people judging your shoes, you'd have more people realizing they can afford the same stuff and buying it. There are so few desirable cars out there compared to buying clothes, buying expensive dining experiences, any other fleeting luxury experience - for every one cool type of car there are literally tens of thousands of personal stylistic choices one can choose.
+1 plus americans are fat. even fatties can look cool driving around in a nice car. the problem with expensive clothes, then, is that fatties do not look good no matter how expensive their clothing is, so they settle for inferior substitute goods.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
88D40BNAV_large.jpg
Heard Topman was kind of shotty but these are actually pretty nice. A lot better then mall brands here. Sadly the service sucks. took 16 days to get here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The American public is just completely uninformed of their consumer choices; they exist but cars are one of the few topics that are digestable from a sitting with a magazine or something. The Japanese have mastered the art of the ad-funded fashion monthly with good circulation that brings the people closer to their desired fashion aesthetic. There's definitely no classism going on, it's for the clothes. Styleforum has some obnoxious thread titles in jest, but it's one of the few American accessible routes for the same kind of information.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Depends on the brand and marketability.

Bought a new Accord Coupe V6 for $25,000. Sold it 10 months later for $18,000.
Bought a new Evo 8 (SSL package) for $35,000. Sold it almost 2 years later for $22,000.
Bought a new 335i for $45,000. Sold it almost 4 years later for $14,000. (It was not as marketable as it was a stick, and only options were Sirius, sport pckg, and navi).

I'm all for saving for retirement, but you gotta enjoy life too.

My point was that nice cars, clothes, even your house, should be looked on as something to be enjoyed, not an "investment." I go discuss investments with my broker. I don't live in them, drive them, or wear them.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are so keen to use the free market as your excuse for why people dress the way they do you'd actually realize they are doing so because they choose to. Everyone has the same dollar "vote" in the free market, and it usually goes to throw away garbage clothes because its already ingrained in the capitalist lifestyle we now enjoy, which is built upon continually buying goods. So, you can't blame it entirely on the knowledge factor, people just want to wear **** over spend money on good clothes. Being a fatass is definitely one of the glaring reasons why this will continue to take place. Sacrificing design for bigger sizes just isn't going to happen with fashion unless you go to the mall. So what happens is what is readily accesible, and what is getting the most votes is what is currently outside of the realm of designer clothing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
if you are so keen to use the free market as your excuse for why people dress the way they do you'd actually realize they are doing so because they choose to. Everyone has the same dollar "vote" in the free market, and it usually goes to throw away garbage clothes because its already ingrained in the capitalist lifestyle we now enjoy, which is built upon continually buying goods.

So, you can't blame it entirely on the knowledge factor, people just want to wear **** over spend money on good clothes. Being a fatass is definitely one of the glaring reasons why this will continue to take place. Sacrificing design for bigger sizes just isn't going to happen with fashion unless you go to the mall. So what happens is what is readily accesible, and what is getting the most votes is what is currently outside of the realm of designer clothing.

This is a stupid post. What, you think that MA+ is expensive? You think that CCP is expensive? It's not nearly as expensive as the stuff you find at stores like de Corato. Attolini suits average at $6.5K or so. Plain shirts are $350+. You can easily pick up a $10K+ overcoat.

Oh, and do you know what volume Bergdorf's does compared to Atelier? Please. There are a lot of people who like to look nice, but don't want to look like ninja. Sure, the vast majority of people dress like ****, but that goes for skinny as well as fat people.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice ad hominem, just because I mentioned weight doesn't mean I meant fashion is "ninja stuff."

jesus, im trying to say design is sacrificed because of peoples sizes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
nice ad hominem, just because I mentioned weight doesn't mean I meant fashion is "ninja stuff."

jesus, im trying to say design is sacrificed because of peoples sizes.

No ad hom, though I did take a shot across the bow. My point is that MA+, Attachment, The Viridi-Anne, etc... would be available in larger sizes if there was a demand for it. Actually, if you check out the sizes available at H.Lorenzo, you'll see that this is actually the case. However, people in the States who buy expensive clothing overwhelmingly prefer MC stuff, which has its own merits.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats fine, I know they offer up to size 4. I'm just saying peoples preferences are going to be what is offered moreso than what is advertised since their dollar acts as a vote. Plus, I thought we were talkin bout the public at large. Not those who exclusively shop at boutiques. anyways, back on topic. Julius NirvanaPantsu in black
bi1jf.jpg
got a pic this time, guys Ninja;

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I want to start a fund here to move you to the sea and give you a proper boat. I think that takes precedence over the SVB TOJ swag fund
redface.gif

Originally Posted by Meis
+1
I would donate to this fund (if I was currently employed...)

Hah, thanks guys. Once I'm done renovating this house, sell it, and find another place, I'm going to build one
teacha.gif

Granted, it will be a little 2-person sailing dinghy
redface.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Oh, and do you know what volume Bergdorf's does compared to Atelier? Please. There are a lot of people who like to look nice, but don't want to look like ninja. Sure, the vast majority of people dress like ****, but that goes for skinny as well as fat people.

Man. I wish lawyers and business guys dressed like gothninjas. Would be fun to see on the train with glasses and conservative haircuts
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads