• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Do you mean YSL Opium pour Homme or the original YSL Opium? Assuming you mean Opium pour Homme, you might want to check out Tom Ford Moss Breches, which is spicy and sweet like Opium PH. The top of Moss Breches is much less harsh and the base is much less sickly sweet than Opium PH.

You might also like Tom Ford Black Orchid. Both are heavy and sweet, although the sweetness in Black Orchid is jammy rather than vanilla. (There's nothing in Black Orchid that resembles that awful black currant note you get at the top of Opium PH, but that's a good thing IMO!)

Finally, you might want to check out the original Opium, which is also spicy and sweet, but much less harshly so. (I think the original is better than Opium PH in every way.)

Finally, +1 to all of Master-Classter's recommendations.

Thanks L'Incandescent for your suggestions, I use the original YSL Opium and would love to hear your thoughts on fragrances similar to the original Opium.

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Thanks L'Incandescent for your suggestions, I use the original YSL Opium and would love to hear your thoughts on fragrances similar to the original Opium.

The original Coco from Chanel is somewhat in a style like Opium, except it has more dried fruits to it.
I think if you like Vetiver, Sycomore is another one to check out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
Thomas, thanks for changing your avatar. That egyptian guy always creeped me out. Are you having an arm wrestling contest with Dakota Rube? Etro Sandalo
LOL, no - there's been a strange avatar-swap going on so I thought it was time. It will probably change again soon, once I find the right pic. Nice pick on Sandalo, I remember liking that one.
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
I have been using Guerlain Vetiver and YSL Opium and would love to hear your views on what fragrances would appeal to my tastes, Thanks.
Hmmm. I like vetiver but not Opium so it's a toss-up. Here are a few off the beaten path: Etro Shaal Nur (vetiver/incense/vanilla) Guerlain Habit Rouge SL Chergui Today I'm wearing Shaal Nur.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwolf
aramis jhl? it has cinnamon too.
Thanks gwolf, I will sample this fragrance.

Originally Posted by tps16
The original Coco from Chanel is somewhat in a style like Opium, except it has more dried fruits to it.
I think if you like Vetiver, Sycomore is another one to check out.

Thanks tps16, I have already sampled Coco but didn't like it a lot, Sycomore sounds an interesting fragrance to check out
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm. I like vetiver but not Opium so it's a toss-up. Here are a few off the beaten path:

Etro Shaal Nur (vetiver/incense/vanilla)
Guerlain Habit Rouge
SL Chergui

Today I'm wearing Shaal Nur.

Thanks Thomas
smile.gif
! Now I have four good Vetiver suggestions (Grey Vetiver, Encre Noir, Sycomore, & Shaal Nur) to sample.

I wear Guerlain Vetiver during formal occasions as I find it clean, simple, soothing and agreeable to almost everyone while I wear Opium more casually as I feel it matches quite well with my personality. I wish I could put to words what I like about Opium but I am afraid I may come out considerably off the mark (untrained nose). I am looking for a fragrance that has a similar but better drydown than Opium and would love to hear what fragrance comes to your mind after reading my post.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
Etro Shaal Nur is an incredible vetiver.

Some other ones to try are Vetiver Extrodinaire, Fat Electrician, and Terre d'Heremes. Was Declaration already mentioned? I'm trying to get a split of Fat Electrician together if you are interested.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Incognito - Just double checking here, is the opium you wear in a tall navy box with gold circle, and the bottle is tall oval shaped, clear with a navy plastic large cap? (ie Homme) or the original ladies opium dark brown wide bottle with clear glass circle in the middle?

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Incognito - Just double checking here, is the opium you wear in a tall navy box with gold circle, and the bottle is tall oval shaped, clear with a navy plastic large cap? (ie Homme) or the original ladies opium dark brown wide bottle with clear glass circle in the middle?

No problem Master-Classter, I use the original ladies opium dark brown wide bottle with clear glass circle in the middle.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rochas Man today, rather like this one. With the weather warming up I'm thinking of picking up a light aquatic that you guys love so much. Any recs?

mrbrioni

Reaction score
Weekday: Terre d'Hermes

Sabbath/Formal events: Creed Millesime Imperial

Traveling: Voyage de Hermes

Wild Card: Creed Silver Mountain Water

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Kouros cologne sport. Just enough of the original Kouros in the mix to keep it interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics