• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
How about wearing a silk suit in rain then? It's meant to be worn, not cherished. Well hurr durr of course you can wear suede in rain/snow, but any person with a modicum of common sense can figure out that a suede boot without storm welting might not fare so well in rain, mud, snow, ice, sand, or salt. Can you do it? Of course you can. Is it the best choice? No, there are clearly better options. I hate to imagine what cleaning salt marks off a $1400 suede boot would feel like. TLDR: take a step back, and stop trying to be an internet smartass.
^ well put. I like the hurr durr part the best
lol8[1].gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
How are you cleaning reptile shoes?
puzzled.gif
Yes they require a special cream for exotic footwear. But it's cheap and very easy to apply. Much more easier than cleaning calf leather footwear.

It's not so much the polish (I have DYO & Reptan), but more the application/process and perhaps the limitations of the leather. Perhaps the reptile leather used for bags/wallets/small accessories is different from shoes, but I've found them very delicate. Python, especially when a little dried out, is an absolute biotch to work with. I have trouble with cleaning dirt from between crocodile scales. And scuffs are impossible to remove on reptile leather IME. DYO also removes a little bit of the colour, which I am not 100% comfortable with. ] IMO you can make mistakes while cleaning/polishing with calf, but not so much for reptile leather.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate to imagine what cleaning salt marks off a $1400 suede boot would feel like.

that's pretty easy.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How about wearing a silk suit in rain then? It's meant to be worn, not cherished.

Well hurr durr of course you can wear suede in rain/snow, but any person with a modicum of common sense can figure out that a suede boot without storm welting might not fare so well in rain, mud, snow, ice, sand, or salt.

Can you do it? Of course you can. Is it the best choice? No, there are clearly better options. I hate to imagine what cleaning salt marks off a $1400 suede boot would feel like.

TLDR: take a step back, and stop trying to be an internet smartass.

Nice try, but I don't walk around in my bare silk socks either, so presumably a trench coat would be involved.

Foul weather does not imply treading through marshlands, nor fighting it out in the trenches of WWI. It's not a question of can but rather if it's practical, which I find it is. It's just less hassle to clean and restore than calf. I simply brush them with a suede brush and leave them to dry"”no need to polish et c., quick and effortless.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Magnozzi
Nice try, but I don't walk around in my bare silk socks either, so presumably a trench coat would be involved.

Foul weather does not imply treading through marshlands, nor fighting it out in the trenches of WWI. It's not a question of can but rather if it's practical, which I find it is. It's just less hassle to clean and restore than calf. I simply brush them with a suede brush and leave them to dry"”no need to polish et c., quick and effortless.

+1, fully agree

i assume the suede champ NOBD shares our thoughts.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my JL 2010 St Crepins on 7000 last arrived yesterday..
110409045.jpg
110409044.jpg
110409042.jpg
110409040.jpg
110409038.jpg
110409037.jpg
& earlier this week Carmina DubMunks on Inca last from the Armoury
110404025.jpg
110404027.jpg
110404029.jpg
110404024.jpg
* a review/comparison to come in a few weeks on the bRog

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
+1, fully agree

i assume the suede champ NOBD shares our thoughts.

Not a champ, but a new pair:

Leather

cAhey.jpg

Box

FU4kr.jpg

B5WAW.jpg

OWfZv.jpg

Shoe

yWj3G.jpg

ODYCD.jpg

hvUqS.jpg

J5OHF.jpg

Poay0.jpg

sCCcN.jpg

bIo2w.jpg

N2IIJ.jpg

Q5AxA.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
Insane shoes

Yup on the F last

Actually only the Vass are your size but come up slightly smaller!

Glad you liked it. Pic on WAYWN?

I know Paul Smith never gets featured much on this thread but thought some of you might find these interesting.

Genuine Lizard (Iguana) Oxfords:

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

DSC_0395.JPG

how can I get these
inlove.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Not a champ, but a new pair:

Originally Posted by NOBD
I think I know what you mean, fritzl. It's in the details. The waist of the C&J's (I'm thinking of the Belgrave-337 last) is a bit more pronounced, and the curvy stitch lines along the sides are more fluent; those lines are more angular on the Greve's.

All in all, the C&J's are a touch more elegant, but don't fit me as well, unfortunately, hence the MTM experiment. I'll do a one on one photo comparison with my Belgraves one day.

in my book. fit is paramount.

in my case i listened to the experts and the ergonomy of my feet and not to some stylish experiment.

looking forward to the comparison picture. thank you.

enjoy them and wear in good health.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
in my book. fit is paramount.

in my case i listened to the experts and the ergonomy of my feet and not to some stylish experiment.

looking forward to the comparison picture. thank you.

enjoy them and wear in good health.

Thanks, fritzl.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about a year and a half after starting buying real shoes, my collection is below. (not pictured, AE Park Avenue, as that is a special occasion shoe).

I have bought and sold a number of shoes, as I realized I mostly just wanted shell, with a leaning towards trad

starting with the boots, going L:R

C&J for BB Burgundy shell boots
C&J for RL Dark Cognac/Brown shell Darlton (new purchase)
AE Black Cherry shell Bristol (recent ebay find, amazing color)
AE Burgundy shell (with brown patina) Hinsdale
Florsheim Imperial Burgundy shell longwing

5 shoes for 5 days of the week!

IMG_0051.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0050.jpg
[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads