• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

9 Iron

Reaction score
Hi, first post here! Wife bought me a pair of Sperry Topsider Billfish shoes. I like them a lot but they're to be worn with shorts, without socks, and the leather has chewed sore blisters into the back of my heels (they're quite comfortable with socks on). How is one to break these in so they'll be more comfortable to sockless feet? I figured wearing them with socks while wearing jeans for a few weeks might soften the leather enough. Wife suggested that they should be soaked wet and worn barefoot to break them in. I believe it's time to ask the experts here.

Thanks!!

Abstraktmind

Reaction score
Wearing a button up with a moto leather jacket, can your button up extend pass your jacket to look right?

NiceDressShoes

Reaction score
Got a quick question for anyone who might know a little bit about some Vintage Allen Edmond's Sharkskin shoes.

My Grandfather passed away and since I had the same size foot, I was given all his shoes. I only took ones that were brand new. Besides the old Puma's and Tux shoes, I have 2 pairs of BRAND NEW, never worn past the original fitting...I mean, they even still have the wooden shoe fit that was put in there after they were made. I know that these are from the late 60's to 70's.

I called a shoe repair place to see what they thought (after doing some investigating on the net myself)...and he told me to bring them in, as they could be worth a ton.

SO, I was hoping someone with some knowledge about vintage shoes or sharkskin shoes could give me some "info" before I go in and either sell them too low, or, ask too much and not make the sale. I see used one selling for 50-300...but could these be worth more...a grand?...more?

Again, both are brand new, size 10.5, one is all black and the other is like a tan/beige with blakened tips of the skin texture.

Thanks and I hope someone out there can lend me a hand.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
Wearing a button up with a moto leather jacket, can your button up extend pass your jacket to look right?

Tuck your shirt in.

Originally Posted by NiceDressShoes
Got a quick question for anyone who might know a little bit about some Vintage Allen Edmond's Sharkskin shoes.

My Grandfather passed away and since I had the same size foot, I was given all his shoes. I only took ones that were brand new. Besides the old Puma's and Tux shoes, I have 2 pairs of BRAND NEW, never worn past the original fitting...I mean, they even still have the wooden shoe fit that was put in there after they were made. I know that these are from the late 60's to 70's.

I called a shoe repair place to see what they thought (after doing some investigating on the net myself)...and he told me to bring them in, as they could be worth a ton.

SO, I was hoping someone with some knowledge about vintage shoes or sharkskin shoes could give me some "info" before I go in and either sell them too low, or, ask too much and not make the sale. I see used one selling for 50-300...but could these be worth more...a grand?...more?

Again, both are brand new, size 10.5, one is all black and the other is like a tan/beige with blakened tips of the skin texture.

Thanks and I hope someone out there can lend me a hand.

They're worth what somebody will pay for them. They won't gain shitloads of value, they're not a collector's item. The people buying are buying to wear them.

Also, I doubt your assessment that they're brand new, if you're basing it off the wooden pieces in there. Those are not just things they had coming from the factory, they are called "shoe trees" and should be put back into the shoe after every wear to preserve the shape of the upper.

Really, just wear them. They're your size, that's why they were given to you. And they're nice shoes. Used shoes won't kill ya.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Martegani black velvet slippers; are these for semi formal (smoking jacket at home, tux dinner party at home), or for outside formal occasions (black tie galas), or can I also use them for less formal? (Mabitex trousers, odd jacket) on the town?

wannabe

Reaction score
Hi all, Anybody have any idea what pants/shirt combo (preferably not jeans) would go well with these bucks?
bucks.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I just got a pair of Martegani black velvet slippers; are these for semi formal (smoking jacket at home, tux dinner party at home), or for outside formal occasions (black tie galas), or can I also use them for less formal? (Mabitex trousers, odd jacket) on the town?

Unless you mean an Italian smoking jacket aka an English dinner jacket a smoking jacket is about the least formal thing out there.

johnny_g_ninja

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new both to the forum and style in general to some degree so do try to be gentle...

My question is in regard to color choices. I know there are colors more suited to each season and that there are colors more suited to evening vs. day wear. So my question is: is there a connection between the two; i.e. is there such a thing as a "summer evening" color or are evening colors pretty much always just evening colors.

Example: Going to the symphony on a summer evening. The suit will be dark charcoal gray (kind of stuck with that) so what are my best shirt/tie color options? (Its worth noting that its a symphony to which many won't even wear suits. I see many blazers and shirts without ties which I think is unacceptable but to each is own...)

Thank you

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
The bolded.

Originally Posted by Nicola
Unless you mean an Italian smoking jacket aka an English dinner jacket a smoking jacket is about the least formal thing out there.
Smoking jackets are semi-formal attire. What kind of alternative smoking jacket are you talking about?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 9 Iron
Hi, first post here! Wife bought me a pair of Sperry Topsider Billfish shoes. I like them a lot but they're to be worn with shorts, without socks, and the leather has chewed sore blisters into the back of my heels (they're quite comfortable with socks on). How is one to break these in so they'll be more comfortable to sockless feet? I figured wearing them with socks while wearing jeans for a few weeks might soften the leather enough. Wife suggested that they should be soaked wet and worn barefoot to break them in. I believe it's time to ask the experts here.

Thanks!!

I've heard custom bootmakers recommend that for breaking in boots. Seems reasonable to try with boat shoes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads