• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, just the pants. From a store in YAMAGATA of all places (literally like the kentucky of Japan)- I guess anywhere with fashion sense is sold out.. Looking for the olive green pants if anyone has any leads!!

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
Nah, just the pants. From a store in YAMAGATA of all places (literally like the kentucky of Japan)- I guess anywhere with fashion sense is sold out..

laugh.gif

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Yamagata City was such a bust, I convinced my friend to drive there with me to try on the pants and see if we could get any pears or cherries (which yamagata is famous for). Legal limit here is 0.00%, so I couldn't even have a beer, he got drunk and met some trashy girls, and I went home by myself. Hope he has fun finding his way back tomorrow

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Looks like I finally have a job where I need to wear a suit
redface.gif

congrats!!, where you working!?>? I hate wearing a suit to work..

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
Regardless of how much it costs, the buyer should be used to shipping costs anyways. Complaining about higher prices because of shipping inclusion when you live in a country that's far from everything is dumb.

Explain how a country could be far from EVERYTHING. I'm curious...

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
congrats!!, where you working!?>? I hate wearing a suit to work..

It's just a couple days a week so not too bad, but will be teaching a Hyundai ceo starting in a couple days. Hoping it lands me some branching jobs so I can start making decent money.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Explain how a country could be far from EVERYTHING. I'm curious...

world revolves around america....duhhhh

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't understand your education rant because we're obviously not disagreeing at all.

I have a bit of a bum knee, it was late, and I was cranky. Plus, I like to rant anyway. Not much to understand. I'm going to be one of those old me who wave their canes yelling "Stupid Kids."

Okay, agreed. But to give you perspective, about half my senior class didn't even graduate, and an even smaller percentage went on to college. While I personally agree that critical thinking is an essential skill I believe it's mostly left to Universities to encourage this type of thinking. But then again that's going to vary from school to school, district to district because like I said, half my high school couldn't pass standardized tests on reading, writing, and math.
I understand that that is very different from my highschool, which had close to 100% graduation rate, most students going off to university, the remainder going to community college. It was a high performance high school. Put it this way, I re-met a lot of alumni when I went to graduate school - which was a top 10 school. (Of course, our most famous/infamous alum was the guy who designed the Iraqi "supergun" and was assasinated by the Mossad, so, go figure.) This means that our high school experiences were probably significantly different. I really do think that old school methods had the best results. But I'm willing to conceded that really only works for particular demographic groups.

Look, I had filed my taxes correctly as far as my knowledge allowed me. It was only after the fact that my federal return had been rejected that I dug deep enough to find out that a.) I had already been filed as a dependent and b.) my previous employer had sent the W-2 forms to an incorrect address (and in this case my previous employer was a roommate, my age, and knew exactly where I am living at the moment, and lived with me previously fully knowing that at the end of the year we would all move out). So basically I'm patiently waiting on other people to sort their **** out so I can re-file my taxes.

Regarding managing finances as a something as simple as breathing, I just flat out disagree. Most of the people I know lack basic financial skills. There are too many students I know that are knee deep in credit card debt, and are still taking on more loans that they cannot pay off (and spending that money on stupid **** like iPhones). This part wouldn't anger me so much if it wasn't for that fact that it directly negatively affected my own financial situation due to the fact that I had to manage the utility bills for 8 different people. But that's another story and ultimately, I feel as if the majority of students can't handle basic financial duties and do stupid stuff such as buying textbooks at full price from the bookstore. ****, and that's the people I know who actually went to college. I feel that there's too many people my age who fall prey to credit card companies once they turn 18, and end up over their heads and that a large portion of this issue can be remedied through simple financial management classes in high school (not college, because like I said, most people in my high school did not make it that far). But then again, I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of people (adults, politicians, governments, students, etc) are incompetent when it comes to managing money.
Most people (and this changes when you have adult jobs) should use the envelope system (assuming that the withholding has been done correctly). Each paycheck, take out enough to pay your rent, utilities, and leave, I dunno, $100/week for food. Put 5-15% directly into savings, not to be touched except for emergencies. Something awesome that might get sold out - not an emergency. Death in the family is an emergency. The rest can go to entertainment, clothing, etc... Do not use your credit cards unless you can pay it off in full at the end of the month. If you can't force yourself to do this, use your debit card. That way, you feel the pain immediately.

Of course, there are people who are great with money. One of my brother-in-laws friends (and his employer) bought his first company when he was 19. He has been acquiring companies, realizing their potential, and then selling, ever since. I think that he owns a dozen companies, each with annual revenues about $5MM, at any time, with the goal of doubling or tripling their value. And he is good at choosing both good companies and good people. But that guy is obviously the exception.

The knucklehead to non-knucklehead ratio is depressingly low. I have a colleague, who was a high flyer postdoc at Harvard, and who is now faculty at a top 25 school, who remarked at a reunion a couple of years ago, that what we do is not particularly hard. It's just that there are so many people who are incompetent at everything.

BTW, I also know some of politicians, and they are, by-and-large, not incompetent in managing money. They do have a ridiculous amount of political pressure, and they try to juggle a lot of knives at the same time, which usually gets them cut.

Random fashion thought to get this back on track: seriously considering getting myself either a Fullcount jacket, or a nonnative jacket. Problem is that neither is returnable, and the Fullcount jacket may be a bit small, and the nonnative jacket may be a bit big. ARghhhhhhh... Decisions.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
was this just a random fashion thought, or a response to the world revolves thing
eh.gif

dog slobber is awesome!

Nah it's just a fashion video cause the tattooed dude has been in a lot of editorials, girl is Agyness Deyn and the whole aesthetic is super-fashiony.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, that and the america thang. see my edit.

sly dawg
teacha.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads