• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I am not sure why NWOT Canali is not worth $40 shipped even though they retail at $100+. But the consensus seems to be that it isn't.
plain.gif

Yeah, I've all but given up on Canali. I don't even pick it up anymore. I sold two super recent (within 3 years old) sportcoats for $25! They were a fairly normal size like a 46 R and were nice patterns. Shirts I've had trouble selling for $15-$20 (NWOT, recent)

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah, I've all but given up on Canali. I don't even pick it up anymore. I sold two super recent (within 3 years old) sportcoats for $25! They were a fairly normal size like a 46 R and were nice patterns. Shirts I've had trouble selling for $15-$20 (NWOT, recent)

+100

It is so it or miss. I got like 3 canali items in my upcoming sale and I am really not expecting much!

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natku--
I used to collect watches. You may want to show this to AAA Watches in Wayzata (Bill)
he could clean it up. I used to have a manual wound Omega Seamaster Cosmic like this
from the 1960's. I can't remember what it was worth, I was rich and famous then and
more into Rolex sport watches; Subs, GMT Master, I even owned a Stainless Steel Daytona
once.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Picked up a like-new Woolrich basic sweater for $4. Great condition, good color, amazing warmth.

1 PRL rep tie, $4; 1 Pierre Cardin, skinny and dotted, $4 [from the quality, and considering the styling, it appears to have been from a period before their extensive licensing]

Unfortunately had to pass on the only great thing I saw all day: a mint-seeming Chester Barrie suit, grey with subtle plaid, 85/15 wool/cashmere. It was 38R, which I can fit in some makers. This was clearly a size too small.
facepalm.gif

Also passed on a pair of perfect fitting Hanover wings in burgundy/cordovan color for $15. Uppers were great, with some fantastic patina, but they had a lot of wear in them, and I would have needed to re-sole immediately. Don't think I wanted to put in the investment for something that'd only be casual wear.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
You didn't think anything of an Omega Seamaster? Beat-up, true, but surely thou jesteth!
rolleyes.gif
Today was a bust for the most part. Picked up a watch for $2 that I didn't think anything of - left it in the car until I remembered I bought it. Found out it may be something decent. Needs a new bezel but the band cleaned up nicely.

DSC06420.jpg

DSC06425.jpg

Staatsoper

Reaction score
But the Chester Barrie is exactly the sort of thing to buy, and then trade or B & S.

Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
Picked up a like-new Woolrich basic sweater for $4. Great condition, good color, amazing warmth.

1 PRL rep tie, $4; 1 Pierre Cardin, skinny and dotted, $4 [from the quality, and considering the styling, it appears to have been from a period before their extensive licensing]

Unfortunately had to pass on the only great thing I saw all day: a mint-seeming Chester Barrie suit, grey with subtle plaid, 85/15 wool/cashmere. It was 38R, which I can fit in some makers. This was clearly a size too small.
facepalm.gif

Also passed on a pair of perfect fitting Hanover wings in burgundy/cordovan color for $15. Uppers were great, with some fantastic patina, but they had a lot of wear in them, and I would have needed to re-sole immediately. Don't think I wanted to put in the investment for something that'd only be casual wear.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must have done something right, because the thrifting gods frowned a little less today.

I found a Chester Barrie suit pretty close to my size. With the usual alterations on the pants, it should fit really well. $18 with the wooden hanger.

5602276566_6d7a80c02c_o.jpg

5601692585_af94474de7_o.jpg

Sadly, I also succumbed to the orphan suit coat temptation. This one was tailored for Henry Bucks (high-end Melbourne store) from Holland and Sherry cloth. Full canvas, functioning sleeve buttons, only $5. The guy threw in the wooden hanger, so it was virtually free. I figure I can probably flip it, even if I don't wear it.

5601693065_819d1abbf8_o.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
You didn't think anything of an Omega Seamaster? Beat-up, true, but surely thou jesteth!
rolleyes.gif

Eh - I'm really not a watch guy as I never, ever see nice watches in a thrift. I wouldn't have even seen it, but it so happened that my brother found a Charvet tie at that thrift and while he was checking out I decided to check out the watched they had on display on the counter. It was filthy, but cleaned up nicely minus the scratched bezel.

mike540

Reaction score
Eh - I'm really not a watch guy as I never, ever see nice watches in a thrift. I wouldn't have even seen it, but it so happened that my brother found a Charvet tie at that thrift and while he was checking out I decided to check out the watched they had on display on the counter. It was filthy, but cleaned up nicely minus the scratched bezel.

Is it on an Omega bracelet or an aftermarket one? Regardless, providing it works and you can clean it up without breaking the bank you're looking at a few hundred bucks for it.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found a green D&G polo with a big fat ampersand logo; I remember seeing this thing in GQ awhile back, and thinking, $300? For that POS? I would *never* buy that! Never say never, I guess.
laugh.gif
Also snagged some cool short-sleeved shirts by Aquascutum and Victoire Homme. Don't know how valuable they are, but they're neat -- and size L if anyone wants to trade.
spam[1].gif
Otherwise, I'll have to swag out an unsuspecting friend. Also a fake Rolex that everyone seems to want. Bidding is up to $25. I am strangely intrigued....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads