• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations for jeans in Toronto?

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I find tailors are expensive in TO, even the crappy mall ones. She quoted me like 22 bucks on the phone to shorten a shirt sleeves... Going to see her after work

Lord Asquith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tradernick
There's a thread that deals with alterations for suits in T.O., but no mention of jeans. I've been buying some better quality denim recently. I have a pair of really nice Spurr, a pair of KMW 2010 that are fairly decent, with Iron Heart and a Nudie Straight Sven on the way. I want to know if anyone has a reco for a tailor who can alter them for length and maybe get one pair tapered. Go easy on me, I'm new to selvedge and nice denim in general. Do these need to be 'chainstitched' when the alteration is done? Also, my usual tailor always asks me if I want the 'original hem' on my jeans, but always makes me feel like I should say 'no, don't worry about it'. Don't really know what 'original hem' means, but I have a feeling it would be harder for her....

There's a lady down on King St., north side west of Bathurst, that has done some work for me in the past and she's pretty good.

Do you guys take yours to one of the jeans specialty shops like Rainbow? The whole idea of getting these jeans from SF is to get a smokin' deal and I'd rather not spend $75 to get them hemmed.

Thanks for any advice.

Hemming a jean or trousers is like $10. And why don't you just buy the right cut and length to begin with instead of making life difficult?
Original hem? It means that your sewing girl doesn't want to open it up and just tacks down the new length. Chain stitch on jeans? These are JEANS not a Savill Row suit, it's just stitched or you can use a blind stitching machine. In fact, you can shorten them yourself and just use some fusing tape and iron it. There's no stress on a hem.

Cahrin

Reaction score
Believe me, if I could buy denim in a 29 inseam I would.

Guess I'll check out Kim's. Thanks for the info!

tradernick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Asquith
Hemming a jean or trousers is like $10. And why don't you just buy the right cut and length to begin with instead of making life difficult?
I don't have time to shop for the 'right cut and length'. I'm buying $300 jeans from the Buy/Sell area here for $100 sight unseen, and I feel particularly good about it. I then get them hemmed. And besides, do you really think that every guy can just walk into any old shop and find the right style in the right cut and length? To me, that's obviously not going to happen. In fact, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm not a SW & D maven. I'm too old. I'm not interested in the 'right length' for this particular time in fashion history, because the 'right length' means that your jeans are supposed to be really long and seriously 'stacked'. I want a tamer version of that look.
Original hem? It means that your sewing girl doesn't want to open it up and just tacks down the new length
Thanks.
Chain stitch on jeans? These are JEANS not a Savill [sic] Row suit
Actually, I disagree with the sentiment here. I think some of these young guys take the fit of their SW & D as seriously as an older guy might take the fit of his Saville Row suit.

tradernick

Reaction score

chrisrotolo

Reaction score
I can see this is a somewhat dormant post, but stay away from Studio Kim. Here is my review from Yelp:

"Pay attention to the mixed reviews here.

I had a pair of jeans and two suits hemmed here.

Kim suggested I hem my pants for a skinny-leg look. Unfortunately she didn't/couldn't hem more than the legs, so it looks like I'm wearing a diaper for both suits.

She hemmed the arms on one suit too short. (Although she did hem the shoulder well, which is hard to do.) I wore this same suit for the first time today, and there is a cigarette burn-hole in the arm. Neither I, nor anyone I've had around the suit, smokes.

I will not be returning."

iAmSofaKing

Reaction score
How about sending them in to Denim Doctor? http://denimtherapy.com/ i a lot heard good reviews about them. Can anyone vouch for them? Looking to get my Samurais hemmed to a 34 from a 39

malaujai

Reaction score
Got a new pair of FH's and looking for a place to get them hemmed... Would prefer a chainstitch if possible?

Has anyone tried dutil's chainstitching service? Any other rec's? Thanks!

malaujai

Reaction score
bump...

looking for a recommended place to get my denim chainstitched

malaujai

Reaction score
Yeah, but after a bit of looking it up, it seems to have pretty mixed reviews... apparently after they got popular, their quality/effort dropped off a lot (and their prices jumped up too)

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but after a bit of looking it up, it seems to have pretty mixed reviews... apparently after they got popular, their quality/effort dropped off a lot (and their prices jumped up too)

Really?

What a disappointment.

malaujai

Reaction score
Think I'll drop by Sydney's this weekend first to see if they resumed their chainstitching service.. if not, then i'll give Dutil a try

mistertailor

Reaction score
Just thought people would like to know, the tailor shop I work at is now offering chain-stitch hemming and alterations.... Quick turn around time, decent pricing... The shop is located near York university, but I'm located downtown Toronto and can arrange pick up and drop off

If you have any questions or are interested please feel free to contact me through the form and I can give you more contact info

Thanks, Jason.

steezy

Reaction score
What's decent pricing? Dutil is charging $28 for chain stich hemming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads