• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
yes, anecdotal evidence is everything. The fact is, cars that you buy brand new lose their value in the first two years. asides from that.. Plus, I was talking about paying for junk listed on craigslist or buying a friends car, just to have "transportation." That I feel is dumb, cuz some of them have to lock their doors manually and ****. Not to mention they constantly spend money on maintenance on a piece of junk. I'm not discounting buying cars at all. I'm saying that when I buy a car, I want to have the income necessary to buy one that's worth my money and that will last me past a year... why would buying an old piece of junk you have to spend money to maintain be any sort of smart decision?
the "junk" car I bought can also be sold for 5 times the buying price after I spent $20 and 2 hours of work on it
smile.gif
you don't know **** about cars so just shut up about it, this is what I mean by this **** being horribly annoying

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you're using anecdotal evidence to prove your points...lemme state what one of my friends has gone through.

He bought a ****** pontiac for $2k that needs to manually lock and **** and is old and has 150,000 miles on it(lol).

in 2 months he has had to spend like $500-800+ to "maintain" it. How the **** is that better to do than just suck up public transportation? which costs 1.50 to go places, and its just half an hour added onto most of your trips, plus I don't have to deal with ****** drivers/traffic.

Plus, I plan to buy a used car myself. Only 2 years old, though cuz that's when the biggest chunk of value gets cut off. I'm just stating its kind of dumb to buy crappy cars which cost a ton of money to maintain if they won't last long. Or maybe its just this one instance. Maybe I don't know enough about used cars. However, I know buying a car with 150,000 miles sounds like a bad idea.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
however kids buying cars is for an investment typically isn't a good idea
Anyone
thinking a car is an investment is a dumb idea, unless: 1. you happen to luck into a really good deal like you did and can actually make money from it (i.e., your car is an investment only if you eventually sell it for a profit, taking into account the use you got from it) 2. we're talking about cars that actually increase in value over time, like rare Ferraris or something.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
mods implement a function that makes Lane listen to his post before he is allowed to click through and post it

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Public transportation in a lot of areas is AWFUL. All the superficial **** aside, it's still AWFUL. Public transportation here, like a lot of **** in Michigan, is underfunded. There are fewer buses rolling around out there as a result. This means longer waits for most people who rely on the buses to get around. This just isn't doable unless you're unemployed and only leave the house when you need to go buy eggs and a carton of milk or something.

For someone who has a job they need to get to and from each day, along with other commitments (gym, dates, social outings), public transportation in most areas just doesn't work. Most cars are a drain on your wallet. Even nicer cars require maintenance costs over the years. That's just the trade-off most people have to make in order to efficiently get where they need to go each day.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. So stop.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, but in this case as I pointed out the public trans is fine here. Like all public things it has its faults, but its aight. I've never lived in the middle of nowhere, though so I guess that should be taken into account.

APK, you're post is making it sound like I said buying cars period is bad. I said, 20 year olds buying very old cars used from craiglists is a bad idea, especially if they have 150,000 miles on them." However, I do concede it could be a smart thing to do given a certain circumstances.

drum

Reaction score
A friend of mine paid for a good chunk of his college education by picking up old/broken cars and flat screen tvs, fixing them and selling them on. Granted he was quite skilled (his dad was a mechanic and taught him quite a bit) but from what I could see it was easy money, and he definitely made more than anyone I knew at that age.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
yup, but in this case as I pointed out the public trans is fine here. Like all public things it has its faults, but its aight. I've never lived in the middle of nowhere, though so I guess that should be taken into account.

I don't live in the middle of nowhere, either, dumb ****. You act as though bad public transportation only exists in areas where there are more cows than people.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
tobias you blowhard
who wants a banger in the mouth? Also, No one looks right wearing fashions on a bus. Trains work, but buses? Nah.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drum
A friend of mine paid for a good chunk of his college education by picking up old/broken cars and flat screen tvs, fixing them and selling them on. Granted he was quite skilled (his dad was a mechanic and taught him quite a bit) but from what I could see it was easy money, and he definitely made more than anyone I knew at that age.

It's actually really easy, especially when you consider that most cars people want to buy are older and far easier to fix up yourself compared to newer cars.

I mean I doubt anyone can figure the price I bought this for (still waiting on coming back to her
frown.gif
):
AuZaM.jpg

pfurey

Reaction score
I rode a bus once.

Black dude fell asleep on my shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads