• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Selvedge Denim for the Middle Class?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
45rpm - $750 million (66 billion JPY) in revenue - 54 stores in japan
http://denimsandjeans.com/top-denim-...&country=Japan

i didn't believe it but i checked the 45 rpm studio website and they really do have a ton of stores in japan. in america they have 2 stores in new york.

but i can't argue that this is the norm.

60 or so doors is not a lot of outlets. Although we think of Rag&Bone as a big brand on Styleforum, it is really not. It's a mid-sized company at best. Within 100 miles of Manhattan, there are 55 retail outlets, 100 miles around Beverly Hills alone, there are 38 retail outlets. In Japan, there are 34 outlets. There are hundreds more outlets internationally.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^for clarification, retail outlets=stockists there? Or I guess a stockist could have many outlets...

anyways, those 45rpm numbers are pretty shocking to me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
I was arguing with a style-victim friend the other day about clothing prices:
why would I spend 100-200 for that hoodie, this one was 60 (overpriced) and I've gotten 10 years out of it.
Distributed cost. If your going to wear it obsessively, does it really make a difference if it averaged 6 dollars a year or 20. It should last longer than what you have but even if it doesn't your going to look a hell of a lot better in the process.

splurge! its worth it in the end.

The distributed cost argument is a chimera. The truth is that people who buy expensive clothes will (usually) continue to buy more expensive clothes. My dad, by contrast, has worn a pair of jeans from Sears that I think my mom got him over a decade ago, several times a week. It is frugality that would make Mother Teresa weep.

My clothes, and yours, are luxuries. Nothing wrong with that.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the number of stores in japan = 54.

meaning they have 54 of their own stores (45 or baidou R, NOT stockists) which sell mostly their own products.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
^for clarification, retail outlets=stockists there? Or I guess a stockist could have many outlets...

anyways, those 45rpm numbers are pretty shocking to me.

Yes. I specifically write retail outlets to get rid of that ambiguity.

The 45RPM numbers don't surprise me that much. Brands nearly always have more doors domestically, and Japan is a fashion crazed country. Some of the brands that Self Edge carries, by comparison, are by comparison, much smaller.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The distributed cost argument is a chimera. The truth is that people who buy expensive clothes will (usually) continue to buy more expensive clothes. My dad, by contrast, has worn a pair of jeans from Sears that I think my mom got him over a decade ago, several times a week. It is frugality that would make Mother Teresa weep.

My clothes, and yours, are luxuries. Nothing wrong with that.

Yep. I'm sure if we didn't buy expensive clothes our money would go to 'waste' elsewhere.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
Yep. I'm sure if we didn't buy expensive clothes our money would go to 'waste' elsewhere.

Hey I consider my money spent on clothes as an investment, I walk into class looking better than the rest and I will preform better than the rest. ALPHA MOTHER FREAKING MALE.

lol

On a serious note, The thread seems to be developing nicely.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
45rpm - $750 million (66 billion JPY) in revenue - 54 stores in japan http://denimsandjeans.com/top-denim-...&country=Japan i didn't believe it but i checked the 45 rpm studio website and they really do have a ton of stores in japan. in america they have 2 stores in new york. but i can't argue that this is the norm.
interesting. but this figure can be misleading. They earned 750M (usd) in total revenues (p * q). this figure does not tell you how wealthy they are as it has nothing to do with true profit. net income would be the best indicator of their true wealth. but yeah, they really do sell a ton of clothes especially for having ~ 60 stores worldwide.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai

For sure - the argument I was originally trying to make was that dropping $300 for denim as opposed to $30, ignoring quality, image, whatever, is all a pride issue. "I can pay this much, so I will. The plebe next to me can't or isn't willing to and I thereby feel better about myself."

Kind of sad, but I think this affects everyone to some degree, especially here on the forums, or they wouldn't be here. I see it a lot with Mac owners too in classes. "I can afford (correction - my parents can afford) to spend double on a functioning computer, so I will, just to have that shiny apple on the cover of my laptop."

supermidget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jd5016
HAhaaa, really guy?!
cmon.

Thank you to all that had positive and informative input.

I actually just got home from Tanger Outlets and scored a nice pair of NF Skinny Guy selvage at Barney's for a cool $80bucks after all discounts!

i actually had taken a look at those and ultimately decided against them on behalf of the camo denim.

Jd5016

Reaction score
Originally Posted by supermidget
i actually had taken a look at those and ultimately decided against them on behalf of the camo denim.

Yea, I don't care for the inner camo print but I guess these will have to permanently remain uncuffed. For the price, I'm OK with that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
For sure - the argument I was originally trying to make was that dropping $300 for denim as opposed to $30, ignoring quality, image, whatever, is all a pride issue. "I can pay this much, so I will. The plebe next to me can't or isn't willing to and I thereby feel better about myself."

Kind of sad, but I think this affects everyone to some degree, especially here on the forums, or they wouldn't be here. I see it a lot with Mac owners too in classes. "I can afford (correction - my parents can afford) to spend double on a functioning computer, so I will, just to have that shiny apple on the cover of my laptop."

I have both PCs and Macs, for purely functional reasons. However, I can see the aesthetic appeal of the Mac products. There is a price associated with that. Whether the price of any particular feature, be it functional or otherwise, is worth it to the consumer, is an intensely personal decision.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
interesting. but this figure can be misleading.

They earned 750M (usd) in total revenues (p * q). this figure does not tell you how wealthy they are as it has nothing to do with true profit.

net income would be the best indicator of their true wealth. but yeah, they really do sell a ton of clothes especially for having ~ 60 stores worldwide.

it's not misleading. building stores aint cheap. you've got to be successful to grow like that. compare this to diesel that has 300 own-branded stores worldwide, and was founded in the same year (1978).

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it's not misleading. building stores aint cheap. you've got to be successful to grow like that. compare this to diesel that has 300 own-branded stores worldwide, and was founded in the same year (1978).
i was suggesting that the 750M figure is simply their total revenue. as such, does not include any deductions found on their income statement (all expenses, liabilities, capex, deprecation, blah, blah, blah). some people might look at the 750M figure and assume that is what the owners/shareholders earned during last fiscal year when in fact the true net income (true earnings after all deductions) would be a fraction of the total revenue ... a small fraction! but yes, it does cost a fortune to maintain a clothing line
smile.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i said clearly "in revenue." you can't blame me if people don't know what that means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads