• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modernist Cuisine; the $625 cookbook.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, apparently I was right. A steak cooked in a pan gains approximate 10c/18f while resting.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I have never understood nailing this down to an exact number.

I understand a steak's center heats up as the heat within the steak itself (hotter at the outside where it has been in contact with the pan, cooler on the inside) normalizes and becomes more uniform (entropy!) but how much the center heats up is dependent on the size of the steak.

What does your fancy book have to say about it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I have never understood nailing this down to an exact number.

I understand a steak's center heats up as the heat within the steak itself (hotter at the outside where it has been in contact with the pan, cooler on the inside) normalizes and becomes more uniform (entropy!) but how much the center heats up is dependent on the size of the steak.

What does your fancy book have to say about it?

Of course it is size dependent, but most times you assume a standard inch steak. The section on meat cooking is too long to summarize, and so far resting rises are only treated briefly.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast.

Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast.

Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.

I would imagine the resting temperature to raise a lot more for an oven-cooked rib roast, actually. The surface area of the roast means that it can hold a lot more heat to continue cooking after you pull it out. Whereas the steak would cool off much more quickly, even though it was cooked at a higher temperature.

Anyway, looks like the Modernist Cuisine guy has the same magic resting kitchen that Matt does.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i'm not sure there's any point in getting into a big debate about it, but the ratio of volume to surface area in a relatively thin steak is a lot higher than in a roast, and the surface temp of the meat is likely lower in the oven than in a pan to boot.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a probe thermometer and a ribeye steak that I am going to cook tonight to test this out. If an 18° rise is true, than I will pull the steak off the heat once it reaches an internal temp of 112° for medium rare. Once off, should I cover with foil, or just leave it be?

Will report back.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I have a probe thermometer and a ribeye steak that I am going to cook tonight to test this out. If an 18° rise is true, than I will pull the steak off the heat once it reaches an internal temp of 112° for medium rare. Once off, should I cover with foil, or just leave it be? Will report back.
That sounds a little low to me for medium rare?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
130, 135 is about medium rare

i would also imagine mass of the steak influences how much the core temperature rises

damn. i really want this book

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will weigh the steak, take it's measurements, and pull at 112° to determine if this 18° business is true. The thermostat will be set at 68° F and all windows will be sealed tight.
Originally Posted by mordecai
That sounds a little low to me for medium rare?
130° F is perfect for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast. Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.
I agree with this. I don't ever use a thermometer for just that reason, though I have, of course, checked from time to time in my magic kitchen.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt was right. Pulled the steak out at 114°, let it rest for 12 minutes under foil, and the internal temperature rose to 131° F, for a total carry over of 17°. It was roughly an inch thick before being cooked, seared both sides in a cast iron skillet, then finished it in a 400° oven.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Matt was right. Pulled the steak out at 114°, let it rest for 12 minutes under foil, and the internal temperature rose to 131° F, for a total carry over of 17°. It was roughly an inch thick before being cooked, seared both sides in a cast iron skillet, then finished it in a 400° oven.
Was it better than when you would take it out later? I find that more resting time is always better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads