• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best belts?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Both of those labels offer plain leather belts comparable to anything else you can come up with.

That is true, no dispute with that. But at $500+ per belt, are they quadruple the quality of a good well made $150 belt? I bought a YSL belt for something like $300, and that was comparable in quality to a Hermes belt I used to own. And it was much much cheaper as well.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://x-stream.fortunecity.com/strato/160/ i heard good things about Terry Dear, but i'd use him for a casual belt. For a dressy belt i'd got with something fancy! I completely disagree with SF and believe that a man needs to always own a sleek pair of shoes with a belt to match (not necessarily exact match). I grew up always seeing that a well dressed guy has a nice belt, nice watch and nice shoes. If you can find a sleek belt for $100, then good job, it doenst have to be top designer but shouldnt be a cheap belt either. anywyas to each his own

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I'm not sure Sedgewick makes different grades of English bridle leather. If not then Equus belts gives you the same Sedgewick leather at a fraction of the cost of a TBM belt.

I'm not going to comment on other peoples pricing, but I can certainly say that Sedgwick dont make different grades of leather. In addition, our mutual buckle makers dont make different grades of buckles! ;-)

Charlie

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
But at $500+ per belt, are they quadruple the quality of a good well made $150 belt?

Nothing that costs quadruple the price is ever 'quadruple the quality'. There are diminishing returns.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Nothing that costs quadruple the price is ever 'quadruple the quality'. There are diminishing returns.

I've always thought this is a little debatable, because really it depends how you define value. Given a £10,000 Kia and a £40,000 BMW/Merc/Saab, for eg, the BMW/Merc/Saab etc etc wont be 4x faster or take 4x the number of people on a journey. To someone who wants to be a BMW/Merc/Saab owner though I suspect the overall experience of owning the Kia would be such that they would hate it so much that the BMW would be worth the additional £30,000.

From a leather goods point of view its quite likely that a good quality item will last 4 times the life of a cheap product and the same could be said for good clothing as well.

I suspect that the above is true where the premium is caused by the designer name rather than the intrinsic quality of the constituent parts.

Charlie

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
+1 for Equus Leather. I'm quite pleased with the two belts that I've received from them (brown and black).

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hatguy
Mark Kielty as above.
April in Paris.

These 2 brands seem to consistently come up when talking about the "best" belts. In my experience, Dingman can fall anywhere between crap and incredible. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but I've found Talbott belts (and other accessories) to be of excellent quality and a very good value. Most of the high-end shoe makers also have great belts.

jsherman02

Reaction score
House of Fleming or W. Kleinberg both make great belts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads