• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

gannonyu

Reaction score
I stopped by the Dayton store this morning and ordered a pair of service boots in charcoal nubuck (leather laces included, and +$15 for topy soles).
The distressed brown was the most appealing, but I already have brown boots
plain.gif

Sizing:
I wear a 9 in chucks, 9.5 nikes, and 8.5D Alden Roys (which are on the Trubalance last). The 8EE service boot fit perfectly with just enough room for thicker socks.

If you're in Vancouver I definitely recommend stopping by to check out all the colours in person. Oh, and they have great customer service!

mischief

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gannonyu
I stopped by the Dayton store this morning and ordered a pair of service boots in charcoal nubuck (leather laces included, and +$15 for topy soles).
plain.gif

Sizing:
I wear a 9 in chucks, 9.5 nikes, and 8.5D Alden Roys (which are on the Trubalance last). The 8EE service boot fit perfectly with just enough room for thicker socks.

If you're in Vancouver I definitely recommend stopping by to check out all the colours in person. Oh, and they have great customer service!

Since you've seen all the colors, can you comment on which is which:

30uaems.jpg

MrAmO.png

Are the two pics above of the same type, if so, which are they? I'm torn between the regular brown oiled and the distressed brown oiled but haven't been able to get a clear answer on what they look like.

Any comments on which you thought looked better?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
Now I'm glad I went with the black oil tan (really love the brown but have way too many brown boots already). I don't care much for pebble grain leather, so that's all good news to me.

I ordered EE. They told me D, E, and EE were available.

When I asked about widths, I thought she was saying "singly" or "doubly" wide.. which I thought was charming, and also very Canadian. Now I understand.

Curious_George

Reaction score
I haven't seen them in person, but I'm almost positive these are the distressed leather version. Those two pictures look like they could just be the brown oil tan with and without polish.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
30uaems.jpg

oiled brown leather? looks like any other workwear type boot
MrAmO.png

distressed brown leather? looks very nice. why the toe profile much slimmer?

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gannonyu
plain.gif

Sizing:

can u describe how much thickness is added to the sole w/ the topy?

bapelolol

Reaction score
If I wear Red Wings 1907 in 7D which fit perfectly with thick & thin socks.. which width should I size down with in service boots? 6D/E/EE? Vans in 7 Chucks in 7 Purcells in 7.5 Nike in 8 CPs in 39 Dress Shoes in 7D

mischief

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I haven't seen them in person, but I'm almost positive these are the distressed leather version. Those two pictures look like they could just be the brown oil tan with and without polish.

I thought the same thing, though I thought I saw someone refer to the second picture as the distressed version, and I wanted confirmation. They looked to be the same to me...

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Do they look this dark in natural light? I have been searching for a light brown boot, this thread caught my attention a while back

10762_2_1_700.jpg

gannonyu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mischief
Since you've seen all the colors, can you comment on which is which:

Are the two pics above of the same type, if so, which are they? I'm torn between the regular brown oiled and the distressed brown oiled but haven't been able to get a clear answer on what they look like.

Any comments on which you thought looked better?

The first pic would be oiled brown and the one posted by Curious_George looks a lot like the distressed brown I saw (I think it was just a bit darker, however). In my opinion, the toe shape looked identical on both leather options.

I think the distressed brown is much nicer than the oiled brown (in new condition), but the oiled brown will probably look really good after you put in some quality wear.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hab
So i never post here but I feel like I should contribute to this by showing people my boots i got straight from dayton. I got charcoal nubuck. Ive had them since christmas.

16kypls.jpg

2j2xhuc.jpg

Just bend them a bit they look identical to the W+H

2qmd89s.jpg

These are probably the only Daytoon boots I've thought looked close to the W+H ones.

clark kent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
If I wear Red Wings 1907 in 7D which fit perfectly with thick & thin socks.. which width should I size down with in service boots? 6D/E/EE?

Vans in 7
Chucks in 7
Purcells in 7.5
Nike in 8
CPs in 39
Dress Shoes in 7D

i wear essentially all the same sizes and was instructed to order a stock 6. whether its a medium or wide width, im not too sure.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clark kent
i wear essentially all the same sizes and was instructed to order a stock 6. whether its a medium or wide width, im not too sure.

My advice would be to use their measurement guide on their site. It is not a reference chart you would get with most online shoe stores. Here, couple of measurements are required to be taken. As mentioned earlier in this thread, your measurements probably will be put up against that of the shoe last to reach an appropriate size. This is the closest i would say you would get in terms of landing a proper fitting pair when ordering online or not being able to try them out in store. I my self was told size '9' when i gave them my sports/dress shoe measurements. Now with the inclusion of various widths, things just got a little difficult. So, personally i would recommend their guide. I will let you guys know was i given for my measurements when i place my order later today.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
Do they look this dark in natural light? I have been searching for a light brown boot, this thread caught my attention a while back

10762_2_1_700.jpg

This if i am not wrong is the oiled tan brown. The distressed brown is much lighter from what i gathered from looking through various other pictures online. Perhaps someone who is going down to Dayton could put the 4 pairs side by side and take a picture or two to clear this issue.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone was informed by the service rep that the oiled brown was never used for the W+H boot though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics