• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes recomendations ...

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - I'm looking for a pair of black and brown dress shoes and have been scouting this forum. There are many referencesso I'm little confused. I'm looking for a pair of very good shoes that is quality stuff, long lasting and comfortable. Please provide recommendations. thanks

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sstomcat
Guys - I'm looking for a pair of black and brown dress shoes and have been scouting this forum. There are many referencesso I'm little confused. I'm looking for a pair of very good shoes that is quality stuff, long lasting and comfortable. Please provide recommendations. thanks
Price range? EG - ~ $1,100.00 (depending) and awesome! (have a number of these) GG - ~ $1,100.00 (again, depending) and just as awesome (have a few of these too) Alden - ~ upper 400.00s to 650.00 (SC) very nice...have a few pair in varying styles etc...

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As other's have stated, price range is important.

I personally do not like Alden lasts but some people on here love them.

Love Edward Greens! Check the B&S section for good deals.

NotchLapel

Reaction score
I am surprised that not many people recommend Florsheim here. I bought a pair of their limited wingtips and their very comfortable and sleek. Only $140 if your on a budget.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is your first pair of nice shoes, I would suggest you stay away from the expensive ones. It is far better to just try out a few cheaper shoes so you know what you actually like. Leather Soles vs Double Leather, Square vs Round Lasts, Calf vs Cordovan, Smooth vs Pebble Grain vs Suede, Brown vs Black vs Blue vs Burgundy, etc.

Once you are comfortable with your personal style then buy as expensive as you wish to splurge.

yeeth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotchLapel
I am surprised that not many people recommend Florsheim here. I bought a pair of their limited wingtips and their very comfortable and sleek. Only $140 if your on a budget.

+1 to that. never owned them long enough to see how durable they are though.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by yeeth
+1 to that. never owned them long enough to see how durable they are though.

Corrected grain. A year tops and they are toast. I miss Style Forum.
frown.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased one pair of Florsheims and after two months they started getting white crusty stuff in the creases that looked like salt sweat. I wiped them with a damp rag and the color came off. WTF! They looked like crap. I brought them back to the store and they sent them to Florsheim who said that it was my problem.

I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another pair of Florsheims.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacey
Price range?

EG - ~ $1,100.00 (depending) and awesome! (have a number of these)
GG - ~ $1,100.00 (again, depending) and just as awesome (have a few of these too)
Alden - ~ upper 400.00s to 650.00 (SC) very nice...have a few pair in varying styles
etc...

Whats GG?

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I purchased one pair of Florsheims and after two months they started getting white crusty stuff in the creases that looked like salt sweat. I wiped them with a damp rag and the color came off. WTF! They looked like crap. I brought them back to the store and they sent them to Florsheim who said that it was my problem.

I never went back to the store to pick them up and I will never buy another pair of Florsheims.

There are old Florsheim, and modern Florsheim... They are different beasts.

Vintage Florsheims are well made.

NotchLapel

Reaction score
So what do you guys recommend? Allen Edmund or Florsheim?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys recommend? Allen Edmund or Florsheim?

If you can afford them, Allen Edmonds are pretty widely preferred to Florsheim. As a disclaimer, I have AE (for 5 years now) and don't much care for Florsheim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics