• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Pinhas

Reaction score
http://www.yatzer.com/A-former-Cemen...Ricardo-Bofill A former Cement Factory is now the workspace and residence of Ricardo Bofill:
Ricardo-Bofill-cement-factory-yatzer-2.jpg
tumblr_lhxym8jrfF1qdqaz1o1_500.jpg
Ricardo-Bofill-cement-factory-yatzer-10.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
+1. Not crazy about the steeple/nave aspects but love it otherwise. My lady used to live in a former brewery near Downtown Los Angeles, but the renovation to living spaces was totally bootleg.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RiOlympics waterfall crowd should hook up with the QatarCup cloud crowd in order to provide adequate power and wonderful climate control for EOMoss' border wall....

solar-towers-rio-waterfall-olympics.jpg

art-clouds1.jpg

ericowenmossborder.jpg

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at Fonthill Castle the other day in Doylestown, PA. Designed and built by Henry Chapman Mercer and completed in 1912 it was his private residence. Quite amazing that he designed it himself, built it using a handful of laborers and that it's made mostly of cast-in-place reinforced concrete. Absolutely amazing to walk around. Very Arts & Crafty (if you like that sort of thing).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
San Telmo Museum in San Sebastian. It's a former Dominican Monastery from the 16th century. This is one of the finest renovation projects I've seen in a long time. Spain has had an unprecedented commitment to preservation and public architecture within Europe over the last 5 years or so. It's nice to see such a high return on the costs they can't afford. Debt has never looked so sophisticated.
580-90-1.jpg
580-65-1.jpg
580-63-1.jpg
580-46-1.jpg
580-42-1.jpg
580-24-1.jpg
580-9-1.jpg
580-5-1.jpg
580-10-1.jpg
580-4-1.jpg
580-38-1.jpg
580-72-1.jpg
580-41-1.jpg
580-25-1.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I think this looks ridiculous:
580-9-1.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Any particular reason?
I won't reply for zjpj83, but to me these interventions look/feel very forced and often at odds with the original structure. It's as if the original life has been fully sucked out. It just doesn't seem to have the character and sensitivity of, say, Scarpa at Castelvecchio in Verona. That said, I have visited Castelvecchio many times and have not been to San Telmo...so, it's difficult to say. From the photos, however, this work feels pretty heavy-handed, even when it tries to be light.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Do you plan on making any posts in here in which you don't ***** about something?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Do you plan on making any posts in here in which you don't ***** about something?
Do you mean a post which doesn't applaud your contributions and/or doesn't support opinions already expressed by you qualifies as "bitching"? If you consider yourself so far above any dialogue, then why care at all what others post? Frankly, of all the posts in this thread yours certainly very often exemplify smugness, pomposity, arrogance, cynicism, and self-righteous misinformation dressed up as prescriptive "knowledge"....
bored.gif
dozingoff.gif
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads