• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think I'm Taking the Plunge: WoW Cataclysm

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WoW is one of the main reasons I moved out of my apartment. It is all my roommates talked about and I watched them fail out of school because they raided all night and slept through classes and work. It was a sad sad sight.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Lulz. Vanilla WoW was easy juice compared to vanilla EQ. EQ didn't start getting some spoon fed features until PoP, like GYs and instance'ing but many events were still way, way, way more difficult than 90% of WoW (only WoW event I can think of was when a major end game one was broken...four horsemen maybe? Been years now.).

Btw, Sam was a choad (as I said in my first mention of him) but I still say the guy seemed to have some form of independent cash flow. Could be wrong, and I don't really care, but his other actions doesn't mean he wasn't financially set.

actually there were a lot of broken ass impossible end game bosses in vanilla wow:

4horsemen, c'thun (HOLY **** SO MUCH TIME WASTED), ouru, original ragnaros, original onyxia, brood lord, original vaelestraz

man i remember a lot of boss names.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
actually there were a lot of broken ass impossible end game bosses in vanilla wow: 4horsemen, c'thun (HOLY **** SO MUCH TIME WASTED), ouru, original ragnaros, original onyxia, brood lord, original vaelestraz man i remember a lot of boss names.
Until your corpse (and all your gear) goes *poof* because you went under the level cap for the Planes and could not get back up to 46 in time to retrieve your corpse...it's all easy juice. Seriously, there is simply no comparing any flavour of WoW to EQ.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would willingly subject his life to WoW.

If you need to get your phat lewt collecting fix, why not play something self-contained and only slightly timesinky, like Dragon Age? Best part about that game is that you can save it and walk the f- away from it whenever you want. Second best part about that game is the hot bitches with big taytays.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow Cata was a big let down for me once I reached 85. Got the Justice Point stuff and the reputation Epics in no time. Unfortunately my guild disbanded at the same time I started playing again (after quitting during TBC) so I have a iLvl of 348 or 349 or something like that but noone to raid with so I've kinda quit again. I think the cross-server battlegrounds AND instances killed the community feeling, where should I find a new guild anymore now when everyone I meet is from some random server?

Perhaps I should have respecced to DPS and started to annoy people in battlegrounds and arenas.

I've also tried out Rift and played to lvl 20. It's really nice and smooth but again, it was a bit boring playing it alone. The characters are definitively very flexible but I just haven't gotten really involved in the game.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bah, decided not to do it. Cheaping out on building a new gaming box and decided I'd start practicing the bagpipes again. My neighbors might pitch in and build me a new gaming box if they found out the choice.
laugh.gif

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
actually there were a lot of broken ass impossible end game bosses in vanilla wow: 4horsemen, c'thun (HOLY **** SO MUCH TIME WASTED), ouru, original ragnaros, original onyxia, brood lord, original vaelestraz man i remember a lot of boss names.
haha, vanilla wow was still the best even though a lot of **** was broken. i loved the c'thun fight, probably my favorite in the game. our guild got the 6th US kill and world 10th, probably the peak of our progression. the runback though, for people without mounts was like 10+ minutes (marsupialed). also remember being a raiding noob way back when and seeing ragnaros for the first time, that **** was one of the most epic moments ever. 4horsemen was pretty dumb but that fight separated the good guilds from the scrubs, at least on our server. i think only 2 guilds downed it before the typical nerfbat hit. **** talking was so much fun back in the day when everything wasn't homogenized and watered down to ****. man, reminiscing on the good ol days almost has me tempted to pick up cata just to see what the guild is up to, but i'm still gonna hold out for now.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Until your corpse (and all your gear) goes *poof* because you went under the level cap for the Planes and could not get back up to 46 in time to retrieve your corpse...it's all easy juice. Seriously, there is simply no comparing any flavour of WoW to EQ.
EQ was epic and a big part of that was the risk built into the game and how long and hard some things were, as well as the sense of community that developed as a result. Everything else pales by comparison. It was by no means a perfect game, but warts and all, nothing else can really compare, even to this day. And no, it was not my first, so i'm not saying that because most MMOers have the fondest memories of their first game.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
EQ was epic and a big part of that was the risk built into the game and how long and hard some things were, as well as the sense of community that developed as a result. Everything else pales by comparison. It was by no means a perfect game, but warts and all, nothing else can really compare, even to this day. And no, it was not my first, so i'm not saying that because most MMOers have the fondest memories of their first game.

Can you imagine if WoW had an encounter like Xegony or the Tiki Men? Hell, with the Tiki Men, just the build up to get in and fight them was more than most WoW end game encounters. Remember CRs in PoF and getting repeatedly trained by the entire damn zone?
laugh.gif

Not that WoW did not/does not have some enjoyable encounters. I think, for the most part, WoW has some very well constructed end game encounters. I will admit I really loved my DK tank and end game of WotLK. It was hugely fun and I enjoyed a "real" raid that didn't take the build up of say, the Tiki Men or PoW. OS was a fanstastic raid due to being so short. I mean, a good guild could do a three drake take down in 45 minutes pretty easily. What I really like/liked about WoW is that you can get end game **** done much faster and with far less prep. I also like the fact you can take a couple visits to do things, like say, cleaning out all of Naxx.

Anyways, looks like I've fought off the urge for Cata.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
But you keep talking about it... and thinking about it...

laugh.gif

But I have plans such that I won't have the time. Piping again is more productive too.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
But you keep talking about it... and thinking about it...

I've said this before but MMOs are like ******* heroin. After you've done them for a while, you can never really be rid of them. There's always that slight itch to go back. The last game I played hardcore was in 2005 and I still get it lol =/

I went to a museum last fall and in the section with the suits of armor i started thinking about EQ again. All that plate...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads