• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76
I sold them for $100 shipped. This is the first time I've ever come across a pair of Alden's or anything in remotely as nice a shape as these were at the GW. I saw them in the window when I was walking up and just figured I'd take a look since they looked new. Once I saw they were Alden's I swooped them up right away.

You sold them too cheap. Those would have brough at least double on e-bay. Especially in that condition.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
You sold them too cheap. Those would have brough at least double on e-bay. Especially in that condition.

I considered selling them on ebay, but when I checked completed auctions most of the results came up in the $100-125 range. I figured after the ebay and paypal fees I'd be lucky to clear $100 on them through ebay.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011

Probably not.

Non-shell tassels aren't in that high demand, you probably did alright selling them here and avoiding giving ebay a 20% cut.

I'll hedge by saying that Aldens are so popular lately they might have gone for much more now.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
(many months later) I just bought one of these too. It's pretty great, and in great shape. So I looked it up. Evidently "invented" by the same guy whose family started Costco. See here:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...5&slug=2345913

oh no - tainted by a Costco connection
smile.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
oh no - tainted by a Costco connection
smile.gif

Yeah - true enough. But that family has donated some good money to the university where I work, so I'll grin and bear it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mercuryman76
I sold them for $100 shipped.

That's not unreasonable. You might have squeezed another $25-$30 out of them. Start with $140-$150 delivered with follow up price drops if they don't sell. You may have simply been after a quick flip, however, in which case everybody is happy.

Chatellum

Reaction score
I was pleased to find a pink linen PRL shirt in a local charity shop for the good price of £4.75. Hardly a massive haul, but a good little wardrobe addition.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
are there any hat people in here? I have 3 mint hats i found. dress hats not like newspaper boy hats.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zilch as usual lately... but a couple of interesting things:

Did find a tennis racket today, a decent one for once, for one of the kids. Around here, decent sports equipment is pretty hard to find, so I've had an eye out for a few months.

Interesting thing: I found a lime green Zegna Sport polo... and I SWEAR I saw the same exact polo last fall. It had a slight spot on it, even, that I remember. There was an orange one with it, and I know it was at the same store, so I do think it was the same one. Must have been somewhere in the back for months! Also saw several "Tyrwhitt" polos - look to be non-resaleable so I left them. Nice colors/patterns though, would have picked them up if a) my size and b) no bold "TYRWHITT" logo at the bottom...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pink patterned BB Makers spread collar dress shirt, a pair of H. H. Brown mocs with off road style tread and a Bruno Piattelli tie. I had to pass on a fitted BB 346 (would have been my first fitted BB) because it had STAPLE HOLES in the middle of the right front panel! Grr..

Also passed on a Zenga tie that looked like it had a kitchen potholder print.

I thought I was going to score a pair of AE split toes but after some study, I realized that the footbed liners had been removed (probably years ago) from their original shoes and placed in this pair. Bummer.

Navi

Reaction score
Everything here was thrifted except the shirt
smile.gif

IMG_20110406_150652.jpg

Found the shoes yesterday, basically brand new Allen Edmond Byron's in my size. Would've preferred brown but still a good find for me!

picsay-1302120318.jpg

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
saw these things in daffys a few days ago, anywhere between $10-$20... worth it? or for the trash can?
It's not Manton-worthy and it's a bit to the wide side but it's gold paisley and I think I'll have a use for it down the line somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads