• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work harder, die sooner!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally, I have a legitimate excuse for doing nothing on the job!

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/0...or-your-heart/

A new study found that people who worked 11 hours or more a day were 67% more likely to have a heart attack or die of one over an average 12 years of follow-up, compared with people who worked standard seven- or eight-hour days.

The study followed more than 7,000 British civil service workers aged 39 to 62 who originally signed up between 1991 and 1993. At the start of the study, none of the participants had heart disease. Researchers screened the group for heart disease every five years until 2004, and also consulted hospital data and registries to track rates of heart attack and death. By the end of the study, 29 participants had died of heart disease and 163 had had heart attacks.

The 11-hour mark appeared to be key. Those who worked relatively long days "” up to 10 hours a day "” were not at significantly higher heart risk than those who worked less. But once workers crossed the 11-hour threshold, their heart disease risk went up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What a groundbreaking finding.
facepalm.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What a groundbreaking finding.
facepalm.gif

I wouldn't treat it like that.... Sure it's easy to say "Work longer, suffer more", but it's another to say it with statistical back up. And a lot of studies simply disprove "common knowledge" things like this.

It's interesting it's set in Britain. Isn't the work environment (both hours and weeks per year) typically shorter there?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So what this is telling me is that all civil servants need to have 12 hour days mandated.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
My tipping point is right around 9 hours. Usually right around that time I get irritable and frustrated. After that, my brain just becomes worthless. I spend most of the time working on very non-specific tasks and after too long I just lose all ability to focus my attention on a specific problem or think critically about what I'm doing. If I step away and come back later, decisions and work start to do themselves and it's always a feeling like "Of course. Why would I have thought otherwise?"

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So what this is telling me is that all civil servants need to have 12 hour days mandated.

At least make sure it is applied to Congress.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
My tipping point is right around 9 hours. Usually right around that time I get irritable and frustrated. After that, my brain just becomes worthless. I spend most of the time working on very non-specific tasks and after too long I just lose all ability to focus my attention on a specific problem or think critically about what I'm doing. If I step away and come back later, decisions and work start to do themselves and it's always a feeling like "Of course. Why would I have thought otherwise?"
This. Sometimes you just need a break. The trick isn't to work harder, its to worker smarter*. *I can't believe I just wrote that.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm a morning and late night person, which is a tough schedule to follow. Between 8PM and 9AM, I'm sharp. I would love to work a graveyard shift.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The secret is to vary the length of your days. If I pull two 14 hour days, which two in a row now is quite rare, I'm gone by noon on Friday. I usually work 10 hour days Mon-Thurs, although I usually have at least one evening meeting a week, but I do try and skip out by 3 on most Fridays. If I have to work on a weekend, I'm taking a three day weekend the following week.

You can do a steady 50 hours a week if you just mix it up. It's five 10 hour days that get burdensome.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet, this ensures I won't outlive my retirement. Or, quite possibly, never get to enjoy it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

LOLOL

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as I get an exemption, OK. I just wanna get mine!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm a morning and late night person, which is a tough schedule to follow. Between 8PM and 9AM, I'm sharp. I would love to work a graveyard shift.
I do my best thinking very early in the morning and very late at night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads