• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Yes they do look young and are young, its funny we had moved on somewhat by 70, but you would see these little 13/14 year old skinheads running around causing mayem Lol.
When one is so young even 6 months between ages is a lot, A 15 year old would not hang around with a 14 year old.

Yes, it's funny that! A few months at that age makes a huge difference - look at us now, though, it doesn't seem so important anymore!

Rude.Gal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Both the photos were taken in the North and later than the Skinhead era.

maybe i should give it up ..
biggrin.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
By Regency dandyism I take it we mean the style attributed to George Bryan Brummell and his circle. As we know, Beau Brummell took what was previously country wear and turned it into super-smart town wear. It was a look so simple that not a great deal has been written about it. We know from the great Beau's biographers that:

Brummell's style was in fact simplicity, but simplicity of the most studied kind. Lord Byron defined it, "a certain exquisite propriety of dress."

I wonder, is it the traditional skinhead that is a spiritual successor? When we consider that the Dandy rarely had a fortune, was often born into a lowly family and lived by his wits and self confidence alone we start to see even greater parallels. Dandyism is of course a way of life whereas being a skinhead only lasted a year or two. Or did it?

Anyway I thought it a comparison worth exploring.....

Interesting thought John. The term Dandy is probably being misinterpreted on the same scale as 'Skinhead' is
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rude.Gal
maybe i should give it up ..
biggrin.gif

No dont worry, Regional differences was vast back in the 60s, early 70s, I travelled all over England with football, and saw the differences first hand.
Like if we was travelling up to say Liverpool, and not many was going up there, You would be taking a risk of getting a kicking, the Northerners would know you was from London by the way you was dressed.
They would try and ambush you for your clobber if you was silly to get separated from the main crowd.
Happy days lol

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
No dont worry, Regional differences was vast back in the 60s, early 70s, I travelled all over England with football, and saw the differences first hand.
Like if we was travelling up to say Liverpool, and not many was going up there, You would be taking a risk of getting a kicking, the Northerners would know you was from London by the way you was dressed.
They would try and ambush you for your clobber if you was silly to get separated from the main crowd.
Happy days lol

Well it is grim up North, ye know!

John Boy

Reaction score
Right, were dr martens shoes worn by the original skins? I tend to wear a more 'ivy' influenced look but i need some hard wearing shoes and loafers and brogues I feel are to smart and to expensive to wear everyday. So I was thinking of purchasing some doc shoes.

So which are better, the vintage shoe, the made in england or the for life? which would the original skins choose?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Boy
Right, were dr martens shoes worn by the original skins? I tend to wear a more 'ivy' influenced look but i need some hard wearing shoes and loafers and brogues I feel are to smart and to expensive to wear everyday. So I was thinking of purchasing some doc shoes.

So which are better, the vintage shoe, the made in england or the for life? which would the original skins choose?

I never saw DM shoes being worn 'back in the day'.

John Boy

Reaction score
any advice on the footwear M-o-M? I'm on my feet all day at work so boots are not the best plus because I'm in an active job role I dont want to spend to much on expensive loafers or brogues I need something hard wearing.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any advice on the footwear M-o-M? I'm on my feet all day at work so boots are not the best plus because I'm in an active job role I dont want to spend to much on expensive loafers or brogues I need something hard wearing.

I guess I'd have to say Clarks for comfortable shoes.

If you don't mind something that compromises style a little, you could go for elastic-sided loafers something like the ones below. I know they're not a 'purist' style, but I have been wearing a pair in black for some time, and they seem to be quite comfortable.
clarks-brown-aston-mind-mens-shoes-4361-2808_medium.jpg

I know they aren't workwear, but would they do? I think you'll have to go for comfort and hard-wearing and to heck with precise style while you're at work.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers for the feedback M-o-M much appreciated!

Never saw Dr Martin Shoes in the 60s, dont think they was available in those days,
Regarding foot wear for work, Nothing wrong with any type of boot for work, I have worn boots for work every day since i left school in 69. plenty of support and comfort, wear with good quality socks and plenty of foot powder.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I think you'll have to go for comfort and hard-wearing and to heck with precise style while you're at work.

exactly, i dont get this notion that some mythical "skinhead fashion police" will ticket you for not having 1969-approved garb on 24/7
plain.gif

harrysgame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
Both the photos were taken in the North and later than the Skinhead era.

Im pretty sure that picture was taken at The Shades in Northampton. Its on their website saying its from there.

On Ebay you can sometimes get Ladies Levi sta pres trousers.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
exactly, i dont get this notion that some mythical "skinhead fashion police" will ticket you for not having 1969-approved garb on 24/7
plain.gif

You're nicked, sunshine!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads