• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ dcg:

Good fit, looks a lot like mine. Would hem though.

Funksy

Reaction score
If anyone wants a Momotaro + Context Grand Indigo Selvage 0701MCXX, size 31, hemmed to 27 inches for cheap, please pm me.

And no, I don't want to discuss how they got hemmed to 27 inches...

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Funksy
If anyone wants a Momotaro + Context Grand Indigo Selvage 0701MCXX, size 31, hemmed to 27 inches for cheap, please pm me.

hemmed to 27 inches? lol

how cheap are we talking

Funksy

Reaction score
PM'd with more details. If you're interested, please PM me. Thank

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Funksy

4471419296_6d795b42a5_o.jpg

I'll take 'em

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosspost from Show Your Denim (or whatever it's called)

For aprox 5 months.

20ia00j.jpg

24ys12u.jpg

Momotaro Moneyshot!

nyg07c.jpg

Really nice to see the details of the denim. Was amazed by this picture, considering the camera it was taken with.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pistolero
^^^ those are lookin good man!

Thanks man. I reckong you had a pair of Momo's too (I believe Context x Momo collab)?

How are they doing?

@ Whatever123:

How's the BiG pair going?

Updates are missing in action or what? :p

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Thanks man. I reckong you had a pair of Momo's too (I believe Context x Momo collab)?

How are they doing?

Yeah, I really need to wash them, so until that happens I've moved them back in the rotation and am currently working on breaking in a pair of 0705SP. I'll post fit pics one of these days.

Islander

Reaction score
Momotaro 0201 just over six months of regular wear.

Tm9G7.jpg
XR1Eg.jpg
2T5zB.jpg

Based on my experience the 0201 behaves as 100% raw/unsanforized and should be sized as such IF you ever plan to wash them with agitation. I was factoring in some degree of shrink-resistance because of the "partially sanforized" description, but they shrank like any other raw jeans and are now a little snug in the top block, rise and thighs after a warm wash/hang dry. I will have to get a fit pic up eventually so you guys can critique the results.

Next time I will size up and wash/dry right off the hop, or buy OW. They do not stretch much, in case you haven't heard
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by tobiasvl
Too bad I won't get them in time to bring them with me to Berlin and get them hemmed there, 39" inseam is essential.

FTFY

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
2nd Update: 1st Wash @7mos [Xposted]

701SEAsoak.jpg

on a lark, sea-soaked mine @Santa Monica Beach, CA. then later, their 1st [machine] wash, cold [x2].

worn a few times, after wash [back in NYC]:
701fb1.jpg

701stripes1.jpg

701whiskr1.jpg

very nice, love it

i want a pair of momos so bad

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Islander
Based on my experience the 0201 behaves as 100% raw/unsanforized and should be sized as such IF you ever plan to wash them with agitation. I was factoring in some degree of shrink-resistance because of the "partially sanforized" description, but they shrank like any other raw jeans and are now a little snug in the top block, rise and thighs after a warm wash/hang dry. I will have to get a fit pic up eventually so you guys can critique the results.

Next time I will size up and wash/dry right off the hop, or buy OW. They do not stretch much, in case you haven't heard
teacha.gif

How much have you worn them post-wash? Have/will they strech back at all? I ask, because I'm about to wash my Momo x Context 0701's which are "partially sanforized", and I don't really want them to shrink any further than where they were after the first (hot) soak. I was planning on a cold wash instead of warm; hang dry.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New from Momotaro: Our first shipment of the season arrived today with 2 models (0701 raw tight straight, and the 2105SP denim jacket). Our next shipment will be early May with more goodness.

Momotaro "Going to Battle"15.7oz Raw Denim Jacket - Model 2105SP
- "Going to Battle" stripes are a symbol of Japanese tradition representing honor and strength. The warrior stripes also represent the flag carried by "Momotaro" in the original folklore story.
- 15.7oz selvedge one wash raw (cold soaked in sea water)
- Deep blue natural indigo denim using super-dense 6s yarn Zimbabwe cotton
- Deer skin patch
- Pink selvedge
- 100% Zimbabwe cotton
- Sizes 36, 38, 40, 42, 44
- Made in Japan
7996000.1b.jpg
7996000.3b.jpg

7996000.4b.jpg
7996000.2b.jpg

Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7996000

Momotaro Vintage Label 15.7oz "Tight Straight" Raw Selvedge Model 0701
- Momotaro's "tight straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a low rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers slightly torwards the leg opening
- 15.7oz shrink-to-fit raw selvedge
- Deep blue natural indigo denim using super-dense 6s yarn Zimbabwe cotton
- Deer skin patch
- Pink selvedge, pink interior thread - both representing the peach from the "Momotaro" folklore story.
- 100% Zimbabwe cotton
- Sizes 28-34, 36
- Made in Japan
7996001.1b.jpg
7996001.2b.jpg

7996001.12b.jpg
7996001.15b.jpg

Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7996001

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much have you worn them post-wash? Have/will they strech back at all? I ask, because I'm about to wash my Momo x Context 0701's which are "partially sanforized", and I don't really want them to shrink any further than where they were after the first (hot) soak. I was planning on a cold wash instead of warm; hang dry.
dunno if you guys are [specifically] concerned of the "top block" only ... btw, my definition of "top block"= waistband + back yoke.

anyway, when soaking jeans, that i'm anticipating to have a problem @top block, i usually chuck a hanger or stick measuring to about the size i want the waist to stay. ironically, i soak them more frequently than my jeans that fit well @getgo. reason being, the waistband gets tempered/broken by constantly not allowing it to constrict/shrink horizontally when soaking+drying. chucking the waistband til dry, on the 1st couple of washes would be ideal, as well__ yes, on wash cold+hanger+hang dry.

lol8[1].gif
K, this is not at all scientific... just based on observation & personal experiences.

s5000aiX1wWhiskr.jpg

momo2.jpg

Islander

Reaction score

I've worn them for a month post wash and the waist was no problem; it stretched back fairly quickly. The fabric below the waistband, back yoke, front rise and thighs have not stretched back much at all and at this point I don't expect them to.

I got a somewhat useful email from Gordon a while back comparing the shrinkage of Momotaro 0201s to the Samurai S710: "Momotaros will potentially shrink about the same 2" in the waist, 1/2" in rise and leg width, and 2.5" in the length. We have a pair of 0201 washed by a customer who washed and returned them because they become too short with a 36.25" inseam (2.75" shrinkage). The 710's will shrink a significant amount with just hot soaking and shrink a little further with machine washing and drying. They will also stretch with frequent wear, more easily than the Momotaro denim."

All of this is true from my experience, so pistolero I think you will be OK with a cold wash/hang dry but if the Momo x Context 0701's are the same denim as the 0201 you should maybe prepare yourself for the possibility of a small amount of irreversible shrinkage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads