• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
awww man, I was planning on going up to the shoe bank after the 15th... I might have to bump that trip up!

fungz0r

Reaction score
I have a question about fitting a pair of park aves or strands. Theres that awesome b&s thread selling new AE shoes but I can't seem to find any places locally to try them on. Is there a good way to determine which size would fit best for me?

Tano

Reaction score
Im normally an 8D on most AE. I bought a AE Park Ave (narrow and long) 7E and it was too tight. only size down 0.5 size length and up one width for the #5 last.

8D = 7.5E for Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue (anything on #5)

granjamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Im normally an 8D on most AE. I bought a AE Park Ave (narrow and long) 7E and it was too tight. only size down 0.5 size length and up one width for the #5 last. 8D = 7.5E for Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue (anything on #5)
Having been through numerous pairs of AE looking for the right size, do whatever you can to try them on first. If trying one on isn't an option, try to find someone who has years of experience sizing people for shoes. Have them determine the following measurements (generally with a brannock): 1) heel to ball 2) heel to toe 3) width Assuming you don't have a compromised fit they should be able to give you a decent gauge for the right size. If you do have a compromised fit, there's no substitute for trying it on. Once you have your size, call the folks at AE and ask them for sizing recommendations. They will know the shoe/last well enough to suggest a size. For those of us with oddly shaped feet, AE's free shipping is helpful considering the number of times it can take to get the fit right (albeit this comes with a modest increase in cost for shipping incorrect sizes back). Time and experience with the various lasts will reduce the number of exchanges. Best of luck

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by granjamo
Having been through numerous pairs of AE looking for the right size, do whatever you can to try them on first. If trying one on isn't an option, try to find someone who has years of experience sizing people for shoes. Have them determine the following measurements (generally with a brannock): 1) heel to ball 2) heel to toe 3) width Assuming you don't have a compromised fit they should be able to give you a decent gauge for the right size. If you do have a compromised fit, there's no substitute for trying it on. For those of us with oddly shaped feet, AE's free shipping is helpful considering the number of times it can take to get the fit right (albeit this comes with a modest increase in cost for shipping incorrect sizes back). Time and experience with the various lasts will reduce the number of exchanges. Best of luck
This is good advice. I have a pair of Cliftons and a pair of MacNeils, and they are different sizes. Don't assume that the same size in different lasts will fit your feet.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out they have a pair of burgundy Bradley in shell cordovan in my size. I am not crazy about them but shell cordovan for $100? I might have to kop. Opinions?
bradley-shoe-by-allen-edmonds-11224553

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
Turns out they have a pair of burgundy Bradley in shell cordovan in my size. I am not crazy about them but shell cordovan for $100? I might have to kop. Opinions?

aebradley5.jpg

aebradley.jpg

KOP KOP KOP

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about split-toes but would have a hard time passing those up for a $100 in my size.

Ike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Im normally an 8D on most AE. I bought a AE Park Ave (narrow and long) 7E and it was too tight. only size down 0.5 size length and up one width for the #5 last.

8D = 7.5E for Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue (anything on #5)

For the record, I wear a 12C in the #5 last - which is true to width and length. Had it fitted at the AE store in Minneapolis and fits perfectly. To each their own.

Order the shoes on Zappos and try them on. If you like them in that last, keep them from Zappos because they're a great company and get another shoe on that same last from the FS thread.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by granjamo
Even with the reissue AE did not reissue the merlot/burgundy color. Congrats!
Thanks! Every day since finding them has been something of a letdown. I may have to pull a J.D. Salinger and go out on top!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I ordered the Bradley shell cordovan. They only had them in my size (8D) and in something like 13EEE. I figure if I don't like them I can sell them on B&S for at least $150 and maybe more since AE shell retails for over $500. These are seconds, but I have a closet full of AE seconds and have never been quite sure what made most of them unfit for full retail.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
So I was told these are available in my size range. Any suggestions from anyone?
Also, any information on which lasts these are all made on? I wear a 7.5D on #5 lasts (Park Aves/Fifth Aves).

Burbank - Black
Burbank - Saddle Brn
Leyland - Black/Black
Clifton - Chestnut
Augusta Walnut Calf - Walnut
Bel Air - Black
Bel Air - Chocolate
Weybridge - Chili (5958)
Weybridge - Chili (5958S) (whats the difference??)
Winhall - Black/Black
Winhall - Chili
Malone - Brown
Shelton - Black/Burgundy
Macneil Navy Calf - Navy
Macneil Burgundy Grain - Burgundy

Thanks in advance!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't worry that much about the lasts. As far as what shoe to choose, I guess it depends on what you need. Clifton is a good basic captoe, Bel Air is a nice sleek wingtip dress shoe (I have these) and MacNeil is good if you are looking for some gunboats.

steve2318

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of cliftons in chestnut and macneils in brown burnished calf from the shoebank for the 2 for $200 sale. Both shoes were first quality. Pretty excited about adding these to the rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads