• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I went down a size. I could've probably gone down another half size, but the toe box would have been a little too snug for my liking. Going down one, the boots are a tad roomy, but insoles makes them a pretty good fit.
+1. Exact same experience here, except substitute "thick socks" in place of "insoles".

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair off of the B&S forum, and they are great boots. Really soft, comfortable leather, a beautiful shape, and even a perfect set of leather laces.

As far as sizing, I would recommend going down 0.5 to 1 size, depending on the volume of your foot (instep, especially), the thickness of your socks, whether you will use an insole, etc. The only reason I could see to consider going down 1.5 sizes is if you are self-conscious about your foot size and want to try to squeeze into the tightest pair possible. But note that I generally think the "size down" advice for shoes and boots on these forums is exaggerated.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, if you go to your cobbler to get Vibram soles put on these, be sure to specify that they not touch the boot otherwise. As someone who always takes pride in his work, my cobbler decided to dye the (distressed) sides of the soles and polish the boots up
ffffuuuu.gif
They now look like a pair of army boots playing dress-up
lol8[1].gif
Oh well, with some wear and tear I'm sure they'll look good again.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much to see, just imagine the boots with a uniformly dark-brown side of the sole. I was really annoyed at first, but it can't be changed now, so I'll just try to accept it and enjoy them
smile.gif
(Posting pics is a pain because my camera isn't recognized by Windows 7...)

ss10guy3

Reaction score
Asch is totally right on sizing. I bought a pair from Ron Herman today, and one size down was perfect.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Does anybody know if these are going to be available again? I'm hoping to get them in brown.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
revival bump.

i'm excited because Dayton is having a boot sale starting Apr. 6th, 2011 for a whole week- $125.
Vancouver has turned 125 years old.

gonna drop by the local store/factory see if they can custom fit me a pair of Brown Service Boots.

G0079

Reaction score
Just swung by Dayton at lunch and ordered a gray nubuck pair. I sized down from a true 10 to 8.5 and it feels perfect. All the service boots had Wings & Horns imprinted on the sole. The pre-distressed pair that they had me try on was butter.

altemp

Reaction score
Just ordered my pair over the phone. Dayton's customer service is amazing.

bapelolol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
Just swung by Dayton at lunch and ordered a gray nubuck pair. I sized down from a true 10 to 8.5 and it feels perfect. All the service boots had Wings & Horns imprinted on the sole. The pre-distressed pair that they had me try on was butter.

Is there gray nubuck and black nubuck? Or only gray nubuck?

G0079

Reaction score
I think we might be talking about the same thing, but I'm pretty sure the invoice says gray nubuck.

They looked just like these but without the bent toebox.

Originally Posted by bdeuce22
^^ mine new. i'd say they are more charcoal than black. the flash really washed out the color. more often than people see them as black boots instead of "oh hey, nice charcoal boots"

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2554-1.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember kane stating that he will do distressing for a price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics