• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those look great. I may have to pick up a pair and sell something to raise funds.

Topy = rubber sole stuck on top of the leather sole.

My local guy does em for $20. It extends the life of the soles, and helps with traction on wet/icy surfaces. Another option is toe caps, but I prefer topy'd soles.

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
whats toppy?
It's a thin, rubber I think, sole placed over the leather soles to prevent them from absorbing water etc. Planning on wearing these through next winter so I was bound to get it done anyways. The woman with whom I spoke said that it would not be noticeable cosmetically because I initially questioned it after seeing the pictures of the service boot with gigantic rubber soles which was unappealing. Edit: I was surprised my total was still $304 after agreeing to have them put on

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tit_tyrant
It's a thin, rubber I think, sole placed over the leather soles to prevent them from absorbing water etc. Planning on wearing these through next winter so I was bound to get it done anyways.

The woman with whom I spoke said that it would not be noticeable cosmetically because I initially questioned it after seeing the pictures of the service boot with gigantic rubber soles which was unappealing.

Edit: I was surprised my total was still $304 after agreeing to have them put on

oh ok. yeah i think you and i got the same lady. she recommended me to add that as well and i was like sure why not haha. and yeah still at 304. i guess you and i got lucky

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these chunky/bulky when worn? Some boots turn out to be huge ass when worn even though the sizing was spot on.

Out of curiosity - Are you guys gonna try soaking them and add a little distress to your boot upon receiving them to achieve the w+h service boots look or just gonna wear the hell out of them overtime to get the 'wonr in' look?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The faux distressing looks pretty tacky, IMHO.
The above pics look preferable to the W+H version, to me.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
wh ones look superior with the wash

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onijo84
Are these chunky/bulky when worn? Some boots turn out to be huge ass when worn even though the sizing was spot on.

Out of curiosity - Are you guys gonna try soaking them and add a little distress to your boot upon receiving them to achieve the w+h service boots look or just gonna wear the hell out of them overtime to get the 'wonr in' look?

wear the hell out of them then polish them up eventually and rinse/repeat

Local_Disk

Reaction score
I wonder if simply soaking them in water for a period of time will actually give these Daytons an identical effect to the W+H collab ones. I personally wouldn't want to risk it with 300 dollar boots, but then again I'm not very familiar with leather.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
wh ones look superior with the wash

Just mistreat the nubuck and you'll be there in no time.

LPatterson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Just mistreat the nubuck and you'll be there in no time.

Somebody a couple of pages back said nubuck wasn't an available option.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LPatterson

ffffuuuu.gif

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told of only 2 options. One being oiled brown and the other oiled black. I did not ask them about any other possible options. Since it is made upon order, i think if you were to call and ask them, they might do it in nubuck. The best would be to call and check with them.

Originally Posted by LPatterson

Valuethinker

Reaction score
I called and Dayton doesn't show the service boot on their website. It was one of their original patterns from the 40's and 50's. They collaborated on an updated version with Wings and Horns and they are now going to be going back into production in the summer with a Dayton Collection with other leathers and colors beyond the current oil tan brown and charcoal grey suede. They did say the current color will be viewable online shortly and the next new collection will be online in July.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads