• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Scarves, Ascots & Neckerchiefs - photos, discussion, inspiration

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tumblr_lhncn1sMOq1qfbji5o1_1280.jpg

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I could use some help here. My concern is not to come off looking **** (no offense to those of you who are ****). In some of the examples the scarfs look pretty masculine, in other cases feminine. Some of those example with Cary Grant I would have said seemed affected to me, but then again he's Cary Grant, so I might have to rethink that. There are some Hermes Scarfs that I have really liked, but I didn't buy them for that reason. I have looked at other threads where Hermes scarves on guys in particular were discussed, with the general consensus was it was OK, but then when I saw the pictures I didn't buy the idea. Maybe it is the fabric. cotton=masculine, silk=feminine? Below is a scarf that sold for about $140 that I was pretty tempted to go for. I like ascots. Pictured below is a drakes square I wear on occasion as an ascot. Thanks.
fstkT.jpg

WhB7t.jpg

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I went for a twice around ascot with my college scarf today, tucked into a Harrington jacket, it was good.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My suggestion PT would be to follow Cary Grant and knot it rather than wearing it with an ascot fold. That is what I do when I wear mine and it just seems a bit more manly and less dandy, especially when worn with a sweater. The ascot fold seems to get "where is your smoking jacket" comments. Whereas, when I wear mine knotted, no one says anything, but I get invited to cool parties with artists, designers, writers. It just seems to send off the right vibe. I have a purple/blue cashmere/silk lightweight neckerchief, with small off-white dots, that is 26 inches square that is perfect for this.
carygrant1.jpg
Here is a picture of Will wearing his knotted. The only difference is that I avoid 100% silk because, to me, it looks a little too shiny and I tuck the ends into my shirt after I knot it. The cashmere silk blend or cotton or linen just seem to work best for me.
neckerchieftiedfourinhand.jpg
That Drakes print scarf would be perfect with a knot and just a bit showing around your neck and with a solid blue shirt. Post some more photos after you try some different knots.

AE7

Reaction score
Great thread! Can anyone help me out? Looking for a scarf for a warmer spring/summer days. One of the prospected functions is to save from heat the back of the neck when its hot and/or provide additional layering for chilly nights. Contemplating between Cashmere, Linen, Cotton, Silk... Opinions? Thanks ! And as an input:
111.jpg
roda_ai2010_16x2325.jpg
roda_ai2010_16x2329.jpg
roda_ai2010_16x2321.jpg
RODA01.jpg
RODA03.jpg
RODA05.jpg
RODA06.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
Great thread! Can anyone help me out? Looking for a scarf for a warmer spring/summer days. One of the prospected functions is to save from heat the back of the neck when its hot and/or provide additional layering for chilly nights. Contemplating between Cashmere, Linen, Cotton, Silk... Opinions?
Linen, wool and silk:
tUmZb.jpg
m2nKH.jpg
q85Py.jpg
Cotton, wool and silk:
ToQLv.jpg
Jwuun.jpg
m3Zsz.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads