• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Quoddy query (sizing)

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't find a UK retailer who sells the Quoddys I want for summer: unlined grained camp moccasins with natural rubber sole. So I've decided to do the iGent thing and just order them from Maine via the interwebz. Problem: looking at their conversion chart, their sizes seem very small, unless I'm measuring my feet in the wrong way: http://www.quoddystore.com/SizeChart.pdf For reference, I wear a UK 7 in Clarks Desert Boots, UK7 in Church's, UK7.5 in Tricker's (C&J vary between 7 and 7.5), 40.5 in Vass New Peter, 8.5US in Sperry Top Siders. Any help with determining my Quoddy size would be much appreciated. Oh, and I have quite narrow feet, so I'd order them in the narrow fitting version.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
8.5, they run tight in the toe area.

Even if I'm getting them unlined? I'm a bit paranoid because even if they can be returned (not sure as they're MTO) it would take ages to get another pair. Cheers.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Even if I'm getting them unlined? I'm a bit paranoid because even if they can be returned (not sure as they're MTO) it would take ages to get another pair. Cheers.

If I were you, I'd be leaning between a 7.5 and 8. Depends a little bit on intended use - unlined, without socks, I'd probably go 7.5; lined, with socks, probably 8.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
If I were you, I'd be leaning between a 7.5 and 8. Depends a little bit on intended use - unlined, without socks, I'd probably go 7.5; lined, with socks, probably 8.

Great, now I've got the whole range between 7.5 and 8.5. Perhaps I should split the difference. It's just that 10 inches for a US8 seems a bit short, no? They would mostly be worn sockless or with very thin fil d'ecosse socks.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Go with your Sperry size. I wear the same size in Quoddy as I do in Nike. I'd say athletic shoe sizing is about right. I ordered a pair online and was told they run true to size. I had to return them for 1/2 size larger. I suggest ordering the larger size.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Go with your Sperry size. I wear the same size in Quoddy as I do in Nike. I'd say athletic shoe sizing is about right. I ordered a pair online and was told they run true to size. I had to return them for 1/2 size smaller. I suggest ordering the larger size.
I'm beginning to lean that way. Yet you managed to get them too big!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
Learning mode for me. I am becoming intrigued by this brand as everyone who owns a pair on SF seems to love their Quoddys. This is a made to order brands, is it not? Does anyone sell them in Toronto Canada?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
lurker[1].gif
Learning mode for me. I am becoming intrigued by this brand as everyone who owns a pair on SF seems to love their Quoddys.
This is a made to order brands, is it not? Does anyone sell them in Toronto Canada?

Not sure about Canada, but a handful of shops carry a small selection here in the UK. All their online orders are MTO.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, given my experiences with Quoddy's QC I'd be hesitant to place an international order for fear of having to go through the hassle/expense of a return. It's been a year or two since I bought my pair, so maybe things have gotten better.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Honestly, given my experiences with Quoddy's QC I'd be hesitant to place an international order for fear of having to go through the hassle/expense of a return. It's been a year or two since I bought my pair, so maybe things have gotten better.

Ordered a pair in 8.5C from O'Connell's (at least it shouldn't take as long, and I've bought from them before). Fingers crossed.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^My pair came from them as well, and they were very responsive when I had issues (though I think I did end up paying return shipping - had gotten a great deal to begin with so wasn't going to complain).

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I'm beginning to lean that way. Yet you managed to get them too big!

I meant 1/2 size bigger. Sorry. They were too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads