• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Ok - first Vass ever.

I'm thinking the following:

F-last
Dark brown calf
Berkeley style, i.e. punch captoe oxford
Double to single taper
JR soles with rubber toes.

How does that sound?

I have a similar shoe in double to single and, were I to order it again, i would just do a single sole. I enjoy the double to single in a less formal shoe, but in a punch cap I think it detracts from the sleekness of the suit/shoe combination.

just my two cents, either way, the shoe itself sounds awesome. i would request a seamless heal, but that is personal preference.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok - first Vass ever.

F-last
Dark brown calf
Double to single taper

How does that sound?

Good, but wouldn't you want metal toe caps?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
I have a similar shoe in double to single and, were I to order it again, i would just do a single sole. I enjoy the double to single in a less formal shoe, but in a punch cap I think it detracts from the sleekness of the suit/shoe combination.

just my two cents, either way, the shoe itself sounds awesome. i would request a seamless heal, but that is personal preference.

Thanks. Any reason for the seamless heel or is it just for the sleeker cleaner look?

Originally Posted by rebel222
I have a punch cap on the u-last w/ double to single sole (wearing them today). They are very dressy. Vass does a great job of beveling the waist, so they don't look clunky.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Slickman
I would go with either antique cognac u-last budapest oxford, oxblood u-last old english oxford, or dark brown u-last old english II oxford

U-last won't work for my foot.

Originally Posted by Lonneker
Good, but wouldn't you want metal toe caps?

I'm ambivalent about toe caps in general but rubber is included while there's an upcharge for metal.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Any reason for the seamless heel or is it just for the sleeker cleaner look?

I get it simply because you don't see it much on RTW shoes and I enjoy having something relatively unique on my feet (and can't afford bespoke shoes). I also find it visually more attractive, but that is personal preference.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok - first Vass ever.

F-last
Dark brown calf
Double to single taper

How does that sound?

Looks good, but have you figured out your size? If you have wide feet, F last may not work for you as it is not dramatically different from U last,IMO.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
go cordovan trini

+1...kind of like ones below from luk-cha. The natural sole edge is optional. Just keep in mind that shell fits slightly looser than calf.

IMG_5542.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely do NOT go cordovan TRINI. I've seen your WAYWN pics and this would not fill the gaps in your wardrobe. You need conservative business dress shoes. Calf all the way

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
+1...kind of like ones below from luk-cha. The natural sole edge is optional. Just keep in mind that shell fits slightly looser than calf.

IMG_5542.jpg

this. perfect for small but wide footed trini

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Slew, do you know what colour shell that is? Cigar?

I believe cigar, but dark brown is so close in color it doesn't make that much of a difference either way.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Definitely do NOT go cordovan TRINI. I've seen your WAYWN pics and this would not fill the gaps in your wardrobe. You need conservative business dress shoes. Calf all the way

Good point and something TRINI should definitely consider. Cordovan is just more fun! :^)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

That's what I was thinking. Cordovan can come later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads