• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

washington D.C. - best places/stores to shop?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weekend report..

Nice meeting you on Friday, Aphex. Twin Shadow was a good show. Hold on to that pic of you and Twin S. -- could be cool one day! He seemed like a surprisingly cool & down to earth guy. Had a good time and will let you know next time I'm headed into the area. P.S. No BS -- top 10 life hangover on Saturday morning. Maybe the double Jameson shots?
biggrin.gif
. Nice meeting a fellow boarder who can hold their liquor...
fistbump.gif

Georgetown on Saturday. Barney's looked to have gotten a good deal of spring stuff in. A lot of Margiela. Some Thom Browne. Full line of Gant. A lot of LVC. Probably about 8 Engineered Garments pieces. Relwen. Nice collective. Jeans section sucked. Nudies, APC (they "don't stock below a 28" in APC
plain.gif
). I wanted a pair of washed jeans, but no luck - no good sizing or options. Tried on a pair of N&F, and really liked them, but the last thing I need in my life is another pair of raw denim/skinny jeans, so passed. No sneakers or other footwear even remotely interesting. The only thing's I considered were a pair of Margiela trousers and the S/S'11 Navy APC formal 2-button sport coat but just decided to pass on it all. Sales staff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Didn't make it to Lost Boys, and was mad about that because I was wearing my WvG shirt, and coulda' helped petition, but didn't feel like finding it.

Had dinner at La Chaumiere at the top of M Street (away from the school) and it was really good. Not phenomenal, but perfectly acceptable. Nice restaurant. Tad cramped, but it's G-Town. French cuisine. 3.5/5 - would return undoubtedly. Had some Soft Shell crabs (first of the season) and Ms. had the rack of lamb. Margaritas at the cheap little Mexican place next door while we waited on our reservation.

Brunch/breakfast on Sunday morning at Bourbon in the 'mo. Awesome biscuits & gravy, bloody mary, and Ms. reported the pancakes were good.

c712bd0e.jpg

50e9b81c.jpg

21827776.jpg

beowolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
I don't understand these numbers within parentheses - does it indicate sarcasm? Either way, I find any of that Lost Boys review hard to believe, I haven't been in a while but when I was the selection was small and they had a bunch of last season items at full retail. That said Kelly was pretty nice the last time I was there.

And the Georgetown Barney's sucks dick. Also the rudest SA's I've ever come across.

I agree, I have visited Lost Boys quite a bit and while Kelly is nice, the selection is not. She always boast about her hand chosen selections, but many really are last season items, bland and over priced. I don't expect her to be around too long.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Brunch/breakfast on Sunday morning at Bourbon in the 'mo. Awesome biscuits & gravy, bloody mary, and Ms. reported the pancakes were good.
c712bd0e.jpg
50e9b81c.jpg
21827776.jpg

Pretty sure I sat at that exact table last time I had brunch at Bourbon. edit: I had the build-your-own scrambled eggs. It was good, but the crabmeat had some tiny bits of shell in it. Added texture, I guess?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide

Nice meeting you on Friday, Aphex. Twin Shadow was a good show. Hold on to that pic of you and Twin S. -- could be cool one day! He seemed like a surprisingly cool & down to earth guy. Had a good time and will let you know next time I'm headed into the area. P.S. No BS -- top 10 life hangover on Saturday morning. Maybe the double Jameson shots?
biggrin.gif
. Nice meeting a fellow boarder who can hold their liquor...
fistbump.gif

Likewise, Slack! definitely had a great time all around. All the more so memorable when you get to meet the artist at their show! And ditto on that hangover, haha... I had been drinking a bit before the show too and needless to say i was out for the count Saturday... scrapped everything i had planned for the afternoon. Your bartender friend is pretty cute too, at least from what i remember
wink.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That show was a virtual styleforum meetup--I was there, too, but to see the Pains. Went to the W afterparty and ran into Jian (ctrlaltelite) and Ben (sq4you).

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
That show was a virtual styleforum meetup--I was there, too, but to see the Pains. Went to the W afterparty and ran into Jian (ctrlaltelite) and Ben (sq4you).

Damn man, had we only known. We met up on the earlier side as we were both there to see Twin Shadow primarily but that would have been cool -- next time maybe..

need to check out whats coming up at Black Cat..

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in dc for less than a day. Didn't get to explore the place since I was with the family. Will have to visit again. Also, I had some awesome viet food in VA, Saigon Cafe.
5587144845_a59b42790e_z.jpg
5587106401_cef17435cd_z.jpg
5587712792_d711b94422_z.jpg
people are crazy with cupcakes in dc. This is good!
5587124403_b811ed38c4_z.jpg
5587670840_0b09e01ca6_z.jpg
bad weather around noon time.
5587042443_b5e10fb47c_z.jpg
5587505700_be062a060c_z.jpg

shimjohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodisbsteve
you can always order the half/half at Bon chon. And heads up, a new Bon chon opened in Fairfax. much much better service than the one in anandale but a lot smaller. there's also supposed to be another one opening up in centreville.
It's in Chantilly and it's already opened up. also, another good Korean chicken place is Cheogajip. I think there are a few locations, but the one I'm familiar with is on Evergreen Ln in Annandale (about 2 minutes away from Shilla Bakery). The chicken is ready much quicker than BonChon and has a much thicker sauce. It's def a personal taste preference. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cheogajip-chicken-annandale
Originally Posted by NameBack
Who's a good tailor in DC? I need a bunch of alterations on a bunch of jackets. My arms are short so almost every jacket I buy that fits me decent in the chest/shoulders is way too long in the sleeves. Plus I need some pants let out (or I need to start taking laxatives, whatever). Any recs? Oh, and I'm reiterating my question about pocket-squares. Where's a good place to pick up a few? Better to just order online?
Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring. I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a ****** tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence. One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton.
nod[1].gif

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimjohn
Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring.

I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a ****** tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence.

One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton.
nod[1].gif

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for a tailor in the area - albeit it kind of out of the way but this sounds good. What's the price of a hem look like?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey guys,

My annual Easter Egg Hunt is April 24th. Space is limited. If you are interested is coming check out the WvG facebook page for details.
If you want to follow WvG befriend the page .
It's always a good time!
Booze, hot chicks, cash money, food, and fashion....that's enough right?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 questions..

1) I don't have FaceBook. Can I still attend?
2) Will you be selling clothes at this event? (I want to buy clothes).

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
^ Sounds like Mauro just did.

Can anyone tell me why there are approximately zero hotel rooms available in DC on the 22nd - 24th? I have to come into town for work, and I guess I'm crashing with a friend of mine because the travel agent couldn't find anything that wasn't either a) $250+ a night (work is paying, but that's kind of unreasonable) or b) in a totally sketchy area (like, way up New York Ave. in NE).

I'm pretty sure that just a month ago I was booking $80/night rooms at the Washington Plaza maybe a week in advance.
ffffuuuu.gif

replying to an old post, but hotel rooms in DC are about 10x more scarce during the week due to traveling business people, conferences, etc. Weekends at 4* hotels can be had for $50 a night.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shimjohn
It's in Chantilly and it's already opened up.

also, another good Korean chicken place is Cheogajip. I think there are a few locations, but the one I'm familiar with is on Evergreen Ln in Annandale (about 2 minutes away from Shilla Bakery). The chicken is ready much quicker than BonChon and has a much thicker sauce. It's def a personal taste preference.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cheogajip-chicken-annandale

Not sure if you commute or live in DC, but if you're willing to make the drive to NoVA, there is a really good tailor I go to in Burke: King's Park Tailoring.

I had Mr. Chong hem my suit pants and then do my suit jacket. I got the sides tucked in and I wanted sleeves shortened, but since this jacket has functional sleeve buttons, it would look weird cutting it to the middle of the 4 buttons and I also wanted to keep the functional buttons...so I asked him to cut the sleeves and shorten them at the top where they meet the shoulders. This was the first job he did for me and needless to say, I was impressed! His pricing is fantastic, he did a damn fine job and I fully trust him and will go to him now, exclusively. It's also rare to see when a tailoring shop gets 5 star ratings & reviews from everyone on all the rating sites. Sorry for the advert, it's just that I went to a ****** tailoring shop in Annandale before and had a blazer and a few jeans ruined because of their incompetence.

One of the things on his site that had me sold: "They can style your clothing conservatively like Hickey Freeman and Oxford, or more contemporary like Brioni and Zegna." Plus, he did tailoring for President Clinton.
nod[1].gif

Ah, thanks for the rec but unfortunately I live in DC and don't own a car, so this is probably going to be a no-go for me. Not exactly metro-accessible, lol. Sounds great though, if I had a car I would probably make the trip out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads